The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Urban Planning / Transportation

inane

8 minutes ago, inane said:

Not really sure this is true lol...The issue is decades and decades of under funding and under valuing everything that has led to this. School, roads, hospitals, any public service has been so chronically under funded that to deliver what the people actually need would be too expensive politically. It's not that they don't care, or don't know, they are just cowards. It always goes back to the same old 'well we can't charge that or business/development' won't come here. So we relax what we actually need to get business/development under the premise that that will generate money to then spend on public goods. But of course it never does and when governments try to charge more the predictable 'you'll kill business/development' crowd comes out and politicians are too afraid to do the right thing.

The growing inequality gap is entirely predictable as it's unsaid policy to provide incentives for business/development in the short term at the expense of the public interest long term. It can't go on for ever and eventually something will break. 

Like what happened in France in late 18th. century? B)

22 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My guess (and Ron can correct me here) is that the political cost of stating the price tag for a 6- or more lane bridge is high unpalatable compared to designing a choke point and pushing people to mass transit (when they can afford to build it) and pedal power.

It's not the political price of the cost, it's the political cost of the size. New West is deathly afraid of more traffic so they basically are saying you can have four lanes or none. A six lane bridge is like a decleration of war, just like anything that resembles a north fraser perimeter road.

But hey, four actual lanes (that would allow say two trucks to pass each other rather than go single file) with actual safe pedestrian connection that won't fall down in a moderate earthquake or stiff wind is still an upgrade and will have a (slightly) higher capacity.

I would just as soon a lot more little bridges than funnelling all the traffic over a giant one. (Major highways aka 1 & 99 exempted).

On 3/12/2018 at 10:37 AM, ronthecivil said:

I would just as soon a lot more little bridges than funnelling all the traffic over a giant one. (Major highways aka 1 & 99 exempted).

Speaking of, any intel on what's happening with the Massey replacement (speaking of failing infrastructure)?

I don't really care whether they build the planned 10 lane bridge, a 6 lane one with Sky Train or anything in between but they need to build SOMETHING.

48 minutes ago, inane said:

Years and years out if at all, but would be cool.

One the reasons I like the idea of using skytrain to Langley is you could actually have a station at the Pratt rail exchange in Cloverdale that was like a south of Fraser hub, with skytrain, highway, and rail all converging at the same place. You could have regional bus connections via hwy 10 and 15, connect with the interuruban if they ever bring it to life, and have regional rail connections to the rest of Canada. Put in an express bus to Abby airport and YVR, and you could make it a hell of a hub!

Saves the bother of trying to run it all the way downtown, which is the expensive part. Instead use that money to just get it over the border, and build the other stuff mentioned, which would probably be cheaper!

That study was free! Enjoy!

57 minutes ago, inane said:

Only a few years out and long overdue.

I note that it's the Guilford- Netwon line for the Surrey light rail. That's not the Langley line, which is a good thing. Not SO bad to put light rail along that corridor, but it should definately be looked at as an option to connect all the way into south Surrey (and then head up north to connect into my Cloverdale super station lol).

5 hours ago, inane said:

More development in Vancouver, the old RCMP lands on Heather St at about 33rd.

illustrated-massing-of-the-proposed-conc

I don't really get all that excited about Vancouver considering things in Buranby which has three different sites that absolutely dwarf anything in the city proper, which if not for the Canucks and my gf, I would never both entering.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, inane said:

Not that I think it looks bad or is a bad idea but the podium brings up something. Specifically, why is a requirement on seeminly every building? Couldn't they just put up more building in that gap and put your (insert whatever thing you want on the podium) on the roof and actually have some sun there? Plus, you get a lot more building on the same footprint.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, inane said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ubc-millennium-line-funding-1.4627086

UBC thinking about throwing in to extend the train currently planned to end at Arbutus.

Do they have a spare billion (or more)  hanging around? Maybe if the Musquem turn the golf course into downtown west it might be justfied.

Past Arbutus the justfication goes waaaaay down, short of a massive redevelopement there and/or say at the former army grounds.

Archived