The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Urban Planning / Transportation

inane

I live on Marinaside Crescent which is is in the area directly affected by that plan. The city says -

"The viaducts will be replaced with new sections of Pacific Boulevard and Georgia Street. Multiple studies have confirmed that this new street network can handle 100% of the current and future traffic volume and will better accommodate future options for moving around the area."

I would like to see these studies. Also, what is the plan for connecting the huge elevation change at the foot of Georgia Street after the viaducts are removed? And what does Aquilini think since the viaducts are connected to the lobbies of his brand new towers around GM Place. They will look even uglier than they are now when those are removed and you can directly see the 30ft pylons below lol.

Also, did anyone ask Translink what they are going to do with the Skytrain track that goes right through there and goes up, down, around the viaducts?

Right now I would say I drive to Canucks games about once a year, and that includes picking up my tickets during the day. After this I don't think I would ever even dream of it.

Once this is done there's doing to be a LOT more people in the area.

Since I don't drive there I don't really care about the roads. In fact it's an improvement for me as you can just go up down Geogia street to get from what is now the whole upstairs/downstairs accessibility issue at the arena.

Won't ever be able to afford to live there (even if I wanted to) so everything else is inconsequential to me. I just hope they stick by their plans to basically give the residents no power to complain about the noise from things like parties on the plaza . I doubt it though.

5 minutes ago, trek said:

I live on Marinaside Crescent which is is in the area directly affected by that plan. The city says -

"The viaducts will be replaced with new sections of Pacific Boulevard and Georgia Street. Multiple studies have confirmed that this new street network can handle 100% of the current and future traffic volume and will better accommodate future options for moving around the area."

I would like to see these studies. Also, what is the plan for connecting the huge elevation change at the foot of Georgia Street after the viaducts are removed? And what does Aquilini think since the viaducts are connected to the lobbies of his brand new towers around GM Place. They will look even uglier than they are now when those are removed and you can directly see the 30ft pylons below lol.

Also, did anyone ask Translink what they are going to do with the Skytrain track that goes right through there and goes up, down, around the viaducts?

Skytrain stays where it is.

Portions of the Dunsmuir viaduct will stay as a ped/look out kind of things--details to be flushed out. There will be elevators/stairs to connect down.

Traffic studies are out there, I can look.

6 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Well as long as you stick to not caring about what they actually do, they can stay on time and on budget.

Essentially I meant it doesn't matter what they do because the opinions what is planned will be endless on how good or bad the plan is regardless. The real issue to me is how much is it going to cost. I believe it said this is a 20 year plan? Sounds like budget overruns are going to happen based on the timeline alone. Granted, I don't live in the area any longer (the longer I am away the less I miss it) so it doesn't affect my pocketbook at all but I don't like how almost ever project has problems staying on budget.

1 hour ago, trek said:

Anytime someone says something will handle 100% of the future demand, you can discount almost everything else they say.

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Anytime someone says something will handle 100% of the future demand, you can discount almost everything else they say.

Yeah no kidding right? I seem to recall the city had published a report saying that with the loss of the two viaducts, traffic into and out of downtown from the east (i.e. the produce section on Clark Dr.) would suffer rush-hour like traffic for the majority of the day on the other, smaller, already congested streets.

Sounds good! :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, trek said:

I live in False Creek so I've been paying a lot of attention to this and participated in the meetings for the False Creek Flats plan for the area adjacent just to the east of this area. IMO this is a fantastic plan, maybe a bit aspirational but if they can pull it off along with the mixed-use industrial plans for the Flats this will be the new heart of the city. The new hospital is going to be a major anchor for the area. 

I really like the idea of the cultural reclamation, bringing back the history will give the city back a lot of the interesting culture lost over the last 50 years. 

Transportation is an interesting aspect, those viaducts needed to come down about 20 years ago, replacing that with new livable streets won't slow down that traffic one bit, it hardly moves as-is.  

2 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

Are the doing a mini version of what they are doing at Brentwood of the now under construction city of Laughead?

Not sure if it's mini, but yes, same idea. The whole suburban mall thing is being phased out everywhere.

Brentwood 

Lougheed

vision-01-md.jpg

Lansdowne Mall in Richmond

City-of-Richmond-Lansdowne-redevelopment

Sears site at Metrotown

sears-metrotown-redevelopment-6.jpg

It's happening all over North America. Just makes that sprawling grotesque Tsawwassen mall continue to look so bad....

• 2 weeks later...

Proposed bridge deck

Construction on Pattullo Bridge replacement to begin next year

NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS 1130) – A new bridge connecting Surrey and New Westminster is expected to be up and running in five years. Premier John Horgan says the province is “taking over” the Pattullo Bridge replacement project, adding it will provide the $1.377 billion to fund it.

Construction is set to begin the summer of 2019. The new structure, which will replace the aging existing span is expected to open in 2023.

The new bridge will be located upstream of the existing one. It will be owned, operated, and maintained by the province.

In Surrey, the new span will connect directly to King George Boulevard, as the existing one already does. In addition, there will be a new off-ramp to westbound Highway 17.

In New Westminster, the bridge will continue to connect to McBride Boulevard. There will also be direct ramps to link to East Columbia Street.

The province says the new connections will “reduce the reliance on local residential streets to access the bridge.”

The Surrey Board of Trade is pleased with the announcement, but wants to see more lanes constructed on the new span. It wants to see six lanes, instead of four, which is in the current plan.

“We must prepare for transportation infrastructure for future population growth,” says CEO Anita Huberman.

“The new bridge will be four lanes that will be built to modern safety standards, featuring a centre safety median barrier and wider lanes to accommodate both passenger and commercial vehicles. The bridge will also have walking and cycling lanes, separated from traffic, on both sides of the bridge,” says Municipal Affairs Minister Selina Robinson.

“There will also be smoother connections on and off the new Pattullo Bridge with new direct road connections between the bridge and East Columbia Street in New Westminster, and a new direct off-ramp from the bridge to westbound Highway 17 in Surrey,” she adds.

The project includes the removal of the existing bridge, which will come down once the new one is opened.

http://www.news1130.com/2018/02/16/pattullo-bridge-announcement/

No mention where the province is getting the funds for this project. I would personally like a money printing tree, pls.

Archived