The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta to Stop BC Wine Imports

DonLever

14 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

gotta love Quebec...  such amazing people in Quebec....

Environmental activists and others in Quebec have started buying B.C. wine in what they call a statement of solidarity with the West Coast after Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said her province would stop taking imports from its western neighbour.

The campaign, which has rallied around the hashtag #QClovesBCwine, began on Tuesday, the same day that Notley announced that the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC) would put an “immediate halt on the import of B.C. wine into Alberta.”

the difference is Horgan is doing something thats in a constitutional grey area, Notley is doing something illegal in the sense that it breaks the western province trade deal. 

The only report out of Canada that I can find is the 2013 NRC report on dil bit behaviour, and its not very encouraging. If anyone has anything more recent please post it but this seems to be the state of research on dil bit behaviour on the coast. We already know from Kalamazoo that river cleanups can take 3-4 years. 

I'm a well known NDP basher but in this case Horgan is correct imo, we clearly need more research on what we need to do to prepare for a spill inland and on the coast. But if someone has a more recent report please post it. 

(here's the site if you want to read i, I took out the automatic linking it was posting the whole report on here so you'll have to cut and past the link): (https://www.ec.gc.ca/scitech/6A2D63E5-4137-440B-8BB3-E38ECED9B02F/1633_Dilbit Technical Report_e_v2 FINAL-s.pdf

The major results of the studies were:

•   Like conventional crude oil, both diluted bitumen products floated on saltwater (free of

sediment), even after evaporation and exposure to light and mixing with water;

•   When fine sediments were suspended in the saltwater, high-energy wave action mixed the sediments with the diluted bitumen, causing the mixture to sink or be dispersed as

floating tarballs1;

1 The use of the term "tarball" in this report follows convention in the literature and refers to the consistency of floating, heavily-weathered oil. It does not describe the chemical composition of the product.

•   Under conditions simulating breaking waves, where chemical dispersants have proven effective with conventional crude oils, a commercial chemical dispersant (Corexit 9500) had quite limited effectiveness in dispersing dilbit;

•   Application of fine sediments to floating diluted bitumen was not effective in helping to disperse the products;

•   The two diluted bitumen products display some of the same behaviours as conventional petroleum products (i.e. fuel oils and conventional crude oils), but also significant differences, notably for the rate and extent of evaporation.

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So is the government $&!#ting on people's businesses here who are in zero way involved with this. If they want hardball, it takes two to play..

And the B.C government is hurting businesses in Alberta even after the feds approved the project. Btw keep in mind many wineries in B.C are owned or partially owned by Albertans.

Trade wars between provinces is never a good thing but wishing a Canadian city burns down is pretty low.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

And the B.C government is hurting businesses in Alberta even after the feds approved the project. Btw keep in mind many wineries in B.C are owned or partially owned by Albertans.

Trade wars between provinces is never a good thing but wishing a Canadian city burns down is pretty low.

Well, I don't actually wish for that. Just saying... Oh, one of your cities burned down? We'll get on helping out with that sometime "soon"

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

And the B.C government is hurting businesses in Alberta even after the feds approved the project.

Actually they haven't. There's no actual damages yet to AB from Horgans move, but Notley has ramped it up by pre-emptively hurting actual businesses now. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Actually they haven't. There's no actual damages yet to AB from Horgans move, but Notley has ramped it up by pre-emptively hurting actual businesses now. 

Ok, potentially and for that B.C can feel the pinch. Cities and towns all over B.C have made huge money off Albertans over the last two decades, hopefully some was saved so this doesn't hurt to much.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ok, potentially and for that B.C can feel the pinch. Cities and towns all over B.C have made huge money off Albertans over the last two decades, hopefully some was saved so this doesn't hurt to much.

Nice, so in your conception of provincial relations we get to ding each other for "potential". Alright then, in that case please pay the $1 billion needed for a dil bit cleanup since that is also a 'potential'. 

and the money wasn't made "off Albertans" thats bs. 

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Nice, so in your conception of provincial relations we get to ding each other for "potential". Alright then, in that case please pay the $1 billion needed for a dil bit cleanup since that is also a 'potential'. 

and the money wasn't made "off Albertans" thats bs. 

Lots and lots of money was and is made of Albertans, hell Albertans own some of those wineries. Maybe leave Vancouver every now and again and see all the places making huge money off Albertans. Again tourist cities and towns fly Albertan flags at campsites and other businesses.

As for the biliion dollars maybe use the equalization payments Alberta paid to B.C while it was a have not province.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lots and lots of money was and is made of Albertans, hell Albertans own some of those wineries. Maybe leave Vancouver every now and again and see all the places making huge money off Albertans. Again tourist cities and towns fly Albertan flags at campsites and other businesses.

As for the biliion dollars maybe use the equalization payments Alberta paid to B.C while it was a have not province.

you have an interesting conception of how resource revenues work, and what makes the oil sands tick. 

I guess you figure all those well-educated and healthy employees from other provinces that work in oil patch come out of thin air. Or that Canada actually has a resource revenue sharing model. Or that AB needs other provinces for things like transporting oil. Or the fact that the money for development of the oil sands didn't actually come from "Albertans". 

AB guys like you crack me up, you come off as so selfish I'm not sure you even realize it. BC takes all the spill risks, gets a 1/12 share of 1/2 of what Alberta gets, and we're supposed to kiss your feet for it. And you wonder why people in other provinces are upset....

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you have an interesting conception of how resource revenues work, and what makes the oil sands tick. 

I guess you figure all those well-educated and healthy employees from other provinces that work in oil patch come out of thin air. Or that Canada actually has a resource revenue sharing model. Or that AB needs other provinces for things like transporting oil. Or the fact that the money for development of the oil sands didn't actually come from "Albertans". 

AB guys like you crack me up, you come off as so selfish I'm not sure you even realize it. BC takes all the spill risks, gets a 1/12 share of 1/2 of what Alberta gets, and we're supposed to kiss your feet for it. And you wonder why people in other provinces are upset....

Again your boy Trudeau approved it. Your anger is in the wrong place.

19 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Bc is a very diverse economy and is not living off the coattails of its neighboring province by any means.

And guess what, even if we don't allow alberta to run a pipeline through our back yard, Albertans will still pay outrageous prices for our property here

We will still accept alberta dollars at all our resorts regardless, or you can camp at the Sask river I suppose and fish for bullheads lol

You sure were when you were accepting equalization payments off Alberta.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

living on the north coast every summer  I see pick up trucks with alta plates cabin cruiser in tow, with a deep freeze in the back with  a tidy tank with numerous Gerry cans ;lashed to the bow and decks,so not all Albertans come to spend money.not to mention the lack of nuatical knowledge ie red to red pass or red right returning ,they come to take and leave nothing but a mess. I have personally seen their litter thrown back onto their boat ,I have personally seen Albertans not adhering to the 'towning a tack rule'  ie red to red starboard to land has right of way simple  rules that if not followed in a congested 'hot spot' WILL get you something thrown thru your windshied  ,seen that too.  no self respecting north coast mariner type will ever miss an Albertan Not showing up  that you can be sure of .

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Again your boy Trudeau approved it. Your anger is in the wrong place.

who's angry? I'm providing you with facts for your skewed AB-centric view of things. 

AB has two choices, work within our confederation, or separate and keep all that oil dough. In which model do you think you'll make more money? Remember the concept of leverage in your deliberations..... 

5 hours ago, Violator said:

thats the sad part.

and your just a barrel of laughs there money bags, the real funny part about you is your 23% POST/REP RATIO which suggests that people don't really like what you have to say. looking into your profile the lack of respect and maturity towards other posters explains the  low point total,    btw most wealthy people don't brag about it on any platform. that, along with everything else you've said isn't to impressive. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

BC and the feds have destroyed the wealth of the country. While they play games trying to impress Euro liberals, the US is building a dozen LNG plants and Australia is right there with them. The investment in gas development that was lost with this is enormous. Oil rigs and employees have been streaming to Texas for years because they've mostly given up  dealing with Canadian liberal wimps including China hating, pipeline pussy Harper. The damage is largely done, the question is will the industry ever come back.

49 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You sure were when you were accepting equalization payments off Alberta.

there you go with "off Alberta" again. Do I really need to explain equalization to you one more time? I guess I do. 

Most of the money for equalization comes from Federal income tax, you know, everyone's salaries in Canada, all of it in one lump, not just AB. Individual AB citizens do not pay more into equalization, they pay the same as every other taxpaying Canadian. Some more equalization money comes from resource revenues. Every other province is hit with a calculation that uses 100% of their resource revenue, but Harper dropped AB's to 50%. Nice to have a PM eh? 

AB is blessed with being awash in oil revenues and a concentration of high paying jobs, and you make it sound like the rest of the country should somehow be grateful? what planet are you from? 

No Albertan does more than any other Canadian with the same wage. 

11 minutes ago, slippers said:

BC and the feds have destroyed the wealth of the country. While they play games trying to impress Euro liberals, the US is building a dozen LNG plants and Australia is right there with them. The investment in gas development that was lost with this is enormous. Oil rigs and employees have been streaming to Texas for years because they've mostly given up  dealing with Canadian liberal wimps including China hating, pipeline pussy Harper. The damage is largely done, the question is will the industry ever come back.

Canada's economy is actually booming, to the point where the bank of Canada is worried about inflation... so...... 

Archived