The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What A Coward - Parkland Armed School Resource Officer Never Went Into The School During Shooting

SabreFan1

3 minutes ago, JV77 said:

WHY?  Why are you Americans so passionate about guns?  To me this belief and mindset is of someone who is mentally unstable.  What normal person feels so strongly like this about guns?

Seriously.  If you had to give up one thing, sex or guns...you would pick sex!

Fortunately I don't have to choose.  If I had to personally give up one or the other, I would give up guns.  Sex is a great stress reliever, especially when you don't have a girlfriend/wife. 

4 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

You said to make it harder for "the small minority of crazies" but you didn't want to make it harder for "normal, law-abiding citizens".  That isn't much of a change.  Maybe that's good enough for you.  My friends would disagree and so do I.

If you ever become a US citizen, you'll have a cause to write to your congressional and state representatives about then.

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Sure people change, but more and more of these mass murders are being done by people who were already known to have behavioral problems.  The Parkland shooter even gave warning that he was going to do it.

As for gun fascination, you're painting a nation of 330 million people with a broad brush.  The majority of Americans don't own a gun.

There are more guns in America than people!

Man I just don't get it.  True story, I am 26 and I went to the gun range for the first time last year.  Went there, picked a pistol and shot 3 times at a target and I really didn't give a crap about it and hated and didn't even finish the clip.  I just gave it back and have no desire to ever go again.  To me just walking in the range and all the loud shots, it was seriously intimidating.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Fortunately I don't have to choose.  If I had to personally give up one or the other, I would give up guns.  Sex is a great stress reliever, especially when you don't have a girlfriend/wife. 

Sadly, I do not believe you one bit....

51 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

If that is accurate, it explains a lot, though what he makes is irrelevant. When retired guys go back to work it is only sometimes for the money. More often it is about finding something to do other than golf or gardening or travel in retirement. And if the guy got through an entire police career in one piece, he's old and wise enough to know that he, with his six chamber police revolver, hasn't got a hope against a crazy guy with an assault rifle who is firing at anything that moves. At the critical moment, the instinct for self-preservation that has been developed over decades of nasty encounters with bad people kicked in. Hard to win an argument with self-preservation, and who among us can say they'd have reacted any differently?

Can't say what I'd have done. I like to think I would have at least tried to make a difference. He retired today after being suspended.. His boss is pretty choked as you can see in the video. I posted his salery because some people infered he was a $16/hr security guard, which he was not.

Just now, JV77 said:

There are more guns in America than people!

Man I just don't get it.  True story, I am 26 and I went to the gun range for the first time last year.  Went there, picked a pistol and shot 3 times at a target and I really didn't give a crap about it and hated and didn't even finish the clip.  I just gave it back and have no desire to ever go again.  To me just walking in the range and all the loud shots, it was seriously intimidating.

It's been some time since I've been to the range.  I go once or twice a year.

1 minute ago, JV77 said:

Sadly, I do not believe you one bit....

You don't know me well enough to say that.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

If you ever become a US citizen, you'll have a cause to write to your congressional and state representatives about then.

Thanks but no.  As I've told my friends down there, I'm quite content to live here in a country with gun control.  Canada is not perfect by any means, but for that (and other reasons), I feel much safer here knowing that the overwhelming majority of people around me are NOT armed.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

It's been some time since I've been to the range.  I go once or twice a year.

You don't know me well enough to say that.

I say it purely based on how passionate you and most American's are against outlawing guns...Like if that happened, you would lose sleep over it.

Guns are so ingrained in American culture, that people are gone nuts.

Just now, Toews said:

I hear the NRA gifted them a brand new paper shredder for Christmas. B)

What people don't understand is that even though the majority of Americans want tougher gun laws, it hasn't happened yet because the minority in the NRA and other gun clubs are extremely politically active.  Until the majority start threatening the politician's, the minority will continue to get their way.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

What people don't understand is that even though the majority of Americans want tougher gun laws, it hasn't happened yet because the minority in the NRA and other gun clubs are extremely politically active.  Until the majority start threatening the politician's, the minority will continue to get their way.

And that is exactly what outrages my friends down there.

3 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Thanks but no.  As I've told my friends down there, I'm quite content to live here in a country with gun control.  Canada is not perfect by any means, but for that (and other reasons), I feel much safer here knowing that the overwhelming majority of people around me are NOT armed.

The sad thing is, the issue has gone so far down the craphole and it is such a lost cause, that if you were to move to the USA, you almost have no choice but to have a gun.  You don't know when someone will use one on you.

Just now, JV77 said:

I say it purely based on how passionate you and most American's are against outlawing guns...Like if that happened, you would lose sleep over it.

Guns are so ingrained in American culture, that people are gone nuts.

Most of my views on important issues are moderate.  Gun laws are no exception.  I want tougher laws, but I don't want them outright banned. 

I'd also like to see a federal buyback of as many "loose guns" as possible.  State and local buybacks aren't very effective because they rarely offer what a gun is worth.

Most of my views on important issues are moderate.  Gun laws are no exception.  I want tougher laws, but I don't want them outright banned. 

I'd also like to see a federal buyback of as many "loose guns" as possible.  State and local buybacks aren't very effective because they rarely offer what a gun is worth.

Lol and man this is the part I will never understand....I don't get it, and isn't reasonable in any way.

To me the fact that the USA even has gun "debates" and "town halls" is mind boggling.  Isn't it so obvious?

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

So where do you stand on the bringing back the ban on assault rifles?  How do you feel about licensing?

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Then they need to become as politically active and savvy as the gun clubs.

The amount of money the NRA spends on 'lobbying' (aka legal bribery) is beyond the pale.  How do you propose that should be dealt with?

8 minutes ago, JV77 said:

The sad thing is, the issue has gone so far down the craphole and it is such a lost cause, that if you were to move to the USA, you almost have no choice but to have a gun.  You don't know when someone will use one on you.

You realize that the vast majority of gun owners in the US keep their guns at home, right?  There aren't hundreds of thousands of people walking around with then on their hips or inside their jackets.

You realize that the vast majority of gun owners in the US keep their guns at home, right?  There aren't hundreds of thousands of people walking around with then on their hips or inside their jackets.

I don't know what to realize...USA is a mess

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

80% of Americans are for DACA and yet that is in jeopardy as Trump is trying to leverage the issue to get his stupid wall.

The reality is that people need to show up and vote to get things to change, until they do that the NRA and other lobby groups will continue to maintain this political gridlock and nothing meaningful will ever be passed. Start with anyone who receives campaign funding from the gun lobby and vote them out whether it be a Democrat or a Republican.

2 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

The amount of money the NRA spends on 'lobbying' (aka legal bribery) is beyond the pale.  How do you propose that should be dealt with?

The one thing that the leaders and lifers in Congress are most fearful of is losing their power.  The NRA and other clubs supplement their legal bribes with credible threats of working to oust any politician who is against them.

The people who want the laws changed need to follow the same playbook.  If they do, the laws would soon change.

2 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

So where do you stand on the bringing back the ban on assault rifles?  How do you feel about licensing?

I think if you ban assault rifles, killers will just use similar but legal rifles.  There are hunting rifles out there that are every bit as dangerous, except the only difference is that they don't look like military weapons.  I used to have a picture on my computer from a previous conversation that showed regular looking rifles that were functionally the same as assault rifles.

As for licensing, most states already require it.  Some states like New Hampshire and Nevada have no license open carry.  You'll find that the vast majority don't take advantage of it because businesses have the right to refuse service to anybody with a gun and many businesses won't even let them on their property.

Archived