The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Value of Tanev to Toronto (Poll)

Rush17

Value of Tanev to Toronto  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't think management is in a rush to move picks though. :( Moved theirs cause they had an extra second rounder. Having no picks in the first 2 rounds is probably not what they want. I imagine if they are in the hunt for a top 4 D-man it'll involve JVR as the main piece out. At least in my opinion.

It sounds like Toronto wants to keep JVR as a rental. Not sure trading for a guy without term is a good idea.  I think the plan was to get a guy like Dermott but then he was steller and now is untouchable lol.

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I have seen leaf fans agreeing to an offer like this:

Vancouver:
1st 2018 (Pick 17/31)
2nd 2018 (Pick 46-62)
2nd 2019 (or SJS 2018)

Rasanen (Pick #59 in 2017)

Toronto:
Chris Tanev

Which isn't great but it isn't terrible. Pick #'s are based on them making the playoffs. Essentially a mid to late 1st and 2 x 2nds possibly 2 this season. Along with a kid drafted in the late 2nd.  So Jim may of had him in the 3rd round potentially.  Big right handed D man from Finland. 6 foot 7.  Not like we need another one lol.  I'm sure that part can be swapped out.  I asked for Bracco it was a fifty / fifty split on switching him out for that prospect. So obviously that is a small sample size but its interesting.   Tell me what you guys think. (Some leaf fans only agree if Martin is taken as a cap dump)

I do that deal in a heartbeat. 

I also like Andrew Nielson.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

They seem ok with moving him as well. Could probably swap him and Rasanen.

I've said in other threads that, imo, our blueline needs to be reworked and a new philosophy taken.

Either one would indicate this change in strategy.

Also makes re-signing Guddy more logical.

Would rather trade Tanev to Toronto for Dermott and their 1st round pick, then trade Hutton to another team for a 2nd. Dermott is a good skater and can move the puck well. Has 9 points in 21 games while paying 16-18 minutes/night and can easily compete for LD minutes behind Edler. He's right up there with Liljegren as their best defense prospect.

23 hours ago, qwijibo said:

That offer is more than what the islanders got for Hamonic (Hamonic and a 4th for a 1st and two 2nd’s) 

it’s probably more than market value on Tanev considering his overall durability issues and the fact that he’s currently hurt again. If Vancouver is ready to move on from Tanev, that offer is more than fair.  You take it and run. 

I also think that offer is more than Calgary paid for Dougie Hamilton.

The difficulty with this trade idea is that Benning might come out looking like a genius, or might end up getting totally shafted.  We know what we have in Tanev.  We don't know if Benning would select the right guys with these picks coming back,and whether they would pan out or not. And while an enormous specimen, who knows if Rasenen will ever play an NHL game, and his stats have actually regressed so far this season.

Still, I think the risk/reward factor is there, given Benning's typical decent drafting.  This one move basically does exactly what we will need to do; get more new prospects in the system to replace the young guys who will soon be on our roster (and to give us some prospect depth on our d), as well as add a defensive prospect a year further into his development.

As much as I love Tanev, I'd do this.  Not keen on taking Matt Martin back since his speed (or lack thereof) is exactly what we are trying to move AWAY from, but it DOES replace the pushback we lost with Dorsett retiring.  He just has one year longer left on his contract than I'd like, otherwise it would be no big deal.

Archived