The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Player Target - Travis Sanheim

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

The more I read the replies, the more PHI as a trading partner makes sense.  Earlier this year is was hoping VAN could do something to pry Theodore out of Vegas, Sanheim is an equally good target with more logical trades available.  Benning better have someone looking at these forums and make this happen ha ha.

They have a bunch of players that need to win in next two to four years or they will just have to wait for their next wave.   Not sure what they want to do but Hextall strikes me as impatient and so worthy of a check one would think.

From another thread:

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well Goldy alone is not remotely going to get it done :lol: And they're pretty deep at F (everywhere really!) so I don't know how much value he'd have.

If it's Tanev, it better be their 1st coming back as well (even if we have to add a bit of sweetener...say Goldy +/-). They do potentially have 2 1sts this year...

Don't know if they necessarily 'NEED' Tanev but he certainly would have them more playoff ready sooner vs later and give them a solid top 4 shut down guy for stability, PK'ing etc (who, as we know, also excels at transitioning the puck). He'd pair awfully well with Hagg in a shutdown pair.

Depending on if they feel Morin can step in next year for the expiring Oduya, I wonder if they could arguably use a decent, more experienced bottom 4 LD as well behind Provorov/Hagg. Wonder if they'd have interest in MDZ for his 1 remaining year's worth of insurance, competition for Morin, depth for injury etc...

Kind of like where I was going with this.

Tanev + 1 year remaining MDZ (back to PHI who would be familiar with him) for Sanheim, either of their 1sts (assuming the STL one stays 2018, I'd probably prefer that one) +/-...

Sanheim, our 1st and their mid 1st could go a LONG way to further our D rebuild.

OK, I'm sold. I officially really, REALLY want this to happen now.

Tanev for Sanheim,  we hopefully get one of Dahlin/Boqvist/Hughes with our 1st and whoever is left of Dobson/Smith/Bouchard/Wilde with the 1st from the Tanev trade and voila, rebuilt D prospect pool.... to something like:

Juolevi, Boqvist, Sanheim, Wilde, Tryamkin, Brisebois, McEneny, Chatfield, Brassard.... :wub:

With Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher, Gudbranson already on the team as well.

Anybody upset with something like that as our potential D heading forward? B)

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

OK, I'm sold. I officially really, REALLY want this to happen now.

Tanev for Sanheim,  we hopefully get one of Dahlin/Boqvist/Hughes with our 1st and whoever is left of Dobson/Smith/Bouchard/Wilde with the 1st from the Tanev trade and voila, rebuilt D prospect pool.... to something like:

Juolevi, Boqvist, Sanheim, Wilde, Tryamkin, Brisebois, McEneny, Chatfield, Brassard.... :wub:

With Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher, Gudbranson already on the team as well.

Anybody upset with something like that as our potential D heading forward? B)

Me to... I’ll throw in Goldobin with Tanev for their 1st and Sanheim.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

From another thread:

Kind of like where I was going with this.

Tanev + 1 year remaining MDZ (back to PHI who would be familiar with him) for Sanheim, either of their 1sts (assuming the STL one stays 2018, I'd probably prefer that one) +/-...

Sanheim, our 1st and their mid 1st could go a LONG way to further our D rebuild.

What about....

tanev + baertschi + 2nd round pick for dumba + Ennis + 1st round pick. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Who are you going to replace tanev with?

Attempt to overpay Green for short term (3 years ideally) maybe. Otherwise make do with Gudbranson, Stecher, misc UFA or whoever until kids are ready.

Sanheim's a lefty but I think he does/can play right. Same with Pouliot. Either could potentially fill in there as well.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Attempt to overpay Green for short term (3 years ideally) maybe. Otherwise make do with Gudbranson, Stecher, misc UFA or whoever until kids are ready.

Sanheim's a lefty but I think he does/can play right. Same with Pouliot. Either could potentially fill in there as well.

Sounds like green plans on resigning in Detroit. 

Unless we plan on another bottom 5 finish we will need to replace Tanev and his minutes. It’s nice to dream about prospects reaching there ceilings. But realistically how many are going to turn into top pairing, 23 minute playing, 40+ point producing D?  

28 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sounds like green plans on resigning in Detroit. 

Unless we plan on another bottom 5 finish we will need to replace Tanev and his minutes. It’s nice to dream about prospects reaching there ceilings. But realistically how many are going to turn into top pairing, 23 minute playing, 40+ point producing D?  

Meh, I'm sure we could figure something out if he does/signs elsewhere.

Tanev generally averages closer to 20:00 TOI (and only for about 50 games...lol) and 15 points FWIW. So I'm not sure why we'd expect kids to 'replace' more than that. Nobody is likely replacing his more nuanced defensive plays. It is what it is.

And I don't know about bottom 5 but I'd be pretty surprised if we're out of the bottom 15 (more likely 10) with or without Tanev next year. So bring on the FAR better D pool IMO.

The example above of Juolevi, Boqvist, Sanheim, Wilde, Tryamkin, Brisebois, McEneny, Chatfield, Brassard along with Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher, Gudbranson already on the team as well as long shots of guys like Rathbone etc. That's 14 guys I'd say gives you pretty decent odds at least a few of them turn in to top 4/top 2 D with lots to likely choose from as your bottom pair. Never mind trades, UFA's etc to fill in anywhere you deem worthwhile. I'd take those far improved odds over another 1/2-2/3 year from Tanev and a bottom 1/2 of the league finish regardless of his presence, any day.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Tanev generally averages closer to 20:00 TOI (and only for about 50 games...lol) and 15 points FWIW. So I'm not sure why we'd expect kids to 'replace' more than that. Nobody is likely replacing his more nuanced defensive plays. It is what it is.

And I don't know about bottom 5 but I'd be pretty surprised if we're out of the bottom 15 (more likely 10) with or without Tanev next year. So bring on the FAR better D pool IMO.

The example above of Juolevi, Boqvist, Sanheim, Wilde, Tryamkin, Brisebois, McEneny, Chatfield, Brassard along with Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher, Gudbranson already on the team as well as long shots of guys like Rathbone etc. That's 14 guys I'd say gives you pretty decent odds at least a few of them turn in to top 4/top 2 D with lots to likely choose from as your bottom pair. Never mind trades, UFA's etc to fill in anywhere you deem worthwhile. I'd take those far improved odds over another 1/2-2/3 year from Tanev and a bottom 1/2 of the league finish regardless of his presence, any day.

When you include him in the prospect pool it feels like a knife to the chest, aGENT.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When you include him in the prospect pool it feels like a knife to the chest, aGENT.

He either comes back or he doesn't If he does' he's a solid, potential top 4 D. Not really any different than any other prospect who could/could not work out.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I’m comparing the kids ceilings to what dumba (at 23) is today. 

Im actually a little more optimistic . I think solidifying a d core and adding a few young players we could very well be in the wild card spot. Obviously that requires some better luck in the injury department. 

The example above of Juolevi, Boqvist, Sanheim, Wilde, Tryamkin, Brisebois, McEneny, Chatfield, Brassard along with Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher, Gudbranson already on the team as well as long shots of guys like Rathbone etc. That's 14 guys I'd say gives you pretty decent odds at least a few of them turn in to top 4/top 2 D with lots to likely choose from as your bottom pair.

The difference between what you proposed and what I suggested is out goes Sanheim. In comes dumba who is already a top pairing capable D.  You could still draft Boqvist and instead of Wilde (who I’d love but likely isn’t around for the blues pick). It’s alexeyev, Miller or mcIssac. 

Never mind trades, UFA's etc to fill in anywhere you deem worthwhile. I'd take those far improved odds over another 1/2-2/3 year from Tanev and a bottom 1/2 of the league finish regardless of his presence, any day.

I’m up for trading tanev. I just think we’d be wise make sure we don’t take a massive step backwards next year with our defense core. So if we do move him. I’d like to see a good young nhl proven peice coming back. 

• 4 weeks later...

@Rob_ZeppFrom another thread:

With PHI likely losing vet Oduya this summer (UFA, maybe retirement), Tanev would make them more competitive now and the next 6+ years (assuming they re-sign him). Hagg and Tanev would give them one hell of a 2nd/shutdown pair and give more offensive opportunity to Provorov/Gost. Then they'd follow that up with depth of Gudas, Manning (if they re-sign) and Morin. That's a nice looking D core.

I don't think they're going to simply wait for Hart either. I expect them to make a play for a goalie this summer (and I wouldn't be opposed to taking on Elliott or Neuvirth to get the deal done either if that helps them out). Then let Hart come in, backup and then hopefully steal that starting role away in 2-4 years.

I'd also assume we'd be taking back MacDonald - who Tanev would be a pretty massive player upgrade over, younger and give them cap savings. Sounds like a good deal for them IMO.

The question then becomes what the '+' would be with Tanev. They're also likely losing some forwards this summer so we could offer them some of our W'er depth if they're unsure how ready Frost, Rubstov, Ratcliffe etc are in replacing Flippula and Read.

We could also retain cap on Tanev the next 2 years as an option/add on.

So let's say, plus or minus, something like: Tanev (+ cap retention?) + a winger (Baer?) for:

MacDonald, (maybe a goalie), Sanheim and their 14th OA

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

@Rob_ZeppFrom another thread:

With PHI likely losing vet Oduya this summer (UFA, maybe retirement), Tanev would make them more competitive now and the next 6+ years (assuming they re-sign him). Hagg and Tanev would give them one hell of a 2nd/shutdown pair and give more offensive opportunity to Provorov/Gost. Then they'd follow that up with depth of Gudas, Manning (if they re-sign) and Morin. That's a nice looking D core.

I don't think they're going to simply wait for Hart either. I expect them to make a play for a goalie this summer (and I wouldn't be opposed to taking on Elliott or Neuvirth to get the deal done either if that helps them out). Then let Hart come in, backup and then hopefully steal that starting role away in 2-4 years.

I'd also assume we'd be taking back MacDonald - who Tanev would be a pretty massive player upgrade over, younger and give them cap savings. Sounds like a good deal for them IMO.

The question then becomes what the '+' would be with Tanev. They're also likely losing some forwards this summer so we could offer them some of our W'er depth if they're unsure how ready Frost, Rubstov, Ratcliffe etc are in replacing Flippula and Read.

We could also retain cap on Tanev the next 2 years as an option/add on.

So let's say, plus or minus, something like: Tanev (+ cap retention?) + a winger (Baer?) for:

MacDonald, (maybe a goalie), Sanheim and their 14th OA

I like your thinking.    Perhaps even they would like another contract to come back as the plus/minus beyond MacDonald versus Tanev retention - don't know.    Elliot comes to mind as I don't think he is going to be wanted after this season and with the space cleared with Mac/Elliot they can also afford a decent goalie in addition to a vet on D.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I like your thinking.    Perhaps even they would like another contract to come back as the plus/minus beyond MacDonald versus Tanev retention - don't know.    Elliot comes to mind as I don't think he is going to be wanted after this season and with the space cleared with Mac/Elliot they can also afford a decent goalie in addition to a vet on D.

Then let Elliott and Markstrom tandem it up and move/waive Nillsson (who Green doesn't seem to be a fan). 

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Then let Elliott and Markstrom tandem it up and move/waive Nillsson (who Green doesn't seem to be a fan). 

That and then slowly phase one (Elliot most likely) out later next season as Demko gets another 3/4 years under belt before. 

Archived