The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Are we in for the offseason of the decade?

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I don't see why Tampa would need to make big changes. They just ran into a hot team at the wrong time. I am pretty sure Tampa will still be one of the elite teams next season.

Until the playoffs roll around. Then they’ll fold like a lawn chair at a crackhouse. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Until the playoffs roll around. Then they’ll fold like a lawn chair at a crackhouse. 

Hard to say.  I think the Lightning learned a hard lesson this playoffs.  They're a very good team but I get the sense that they didn't really have to try hard for most of the season.  I imagine that makes it really hard to ramp up intensity once the puck drops in the playoffs.  Additionally, losing Hedman would have been a big blow.

In contrast, CBJ had to fight super hard down the stretch just to make the playoffs (they only clinched in game 81 if I'm not mistaken) so they were presumably amped up to even be playing the Lightning.  The fact that the Lightning had such a great season probably ramped up their intensity even more.  There's a lot greater parity in the league now notwithstanding the Lightning's great regular season and CBJ actually has a really good roster. 

Parity becomes more apparent in the playoffs and, unfortunately for the Lightning, they got burned.  Same with the Penguins.  Through the regular season, their relative star power and relative depth was able to get them into the playoffs.  The Islanders had a good season for sure and while they don't have the star power, their depth proved to be sufficient to overcome the Penguins whose depth has dropped in quality in the last few years.  It's actually nice to see more competition rather than the same old teams making it through.

They are not moving on from Hedman in any way.  They are built around him.

Problem was he shouldn't have been playing.  He was injured and really didn't play well because of it.  If it was the regular season he would have been out of the lineup.  Probably should have been anyway.

Werensky and Jones are a hell of a pair to build around.  I know Nahville was stacked but how do you give up a Seth Jones.  Amazing skating and power stride.

CBJ getting settled with the new acquisitions and Bob getting over his playoff issues could be a very tough out in the playoffs.  They are a big, fast, tough team.

3 hours ago, J-P said:

This is true, and also the East is so good that Columbus, islanders and Washington could all go all the way. 

As long as it's not the Leafs, I don't care who comes out of the east.  It's hard to watch any games, with all the Leaf love handed out.  :sick:

TBL fans want blood. They havent had that magic moment since Chicago. I expect a move like us after 2011 chasing some grit for their much more talented core.

Pens are fine after 2 cups.

LA was a stealth tank with Willy. Wildcard with a real team easy.

Chicago got the lotto

Honestly it depends on which team wins the cup. Then the weaker GMs play copycat.

I would look into as many 3 ways trades with teams that lost in conference finals or cup last 3 years. Try and get Hughes. 

Seattle will be Vegas 2.0 and we need our young core locked and ready to go. For the next 6-8 years

Archived