The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best/Worst season under Benning

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

If you only read half a post then you can come to that conclusion, sure. 

So you read only half of the post? Okay, then your response is understandable.

regards,  G.

10 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

So you read only half of the post? Okay, then your response is understandable.

regards,  G.

You mean the one where you ignore all the bad things from that season other than draft luck?  The whole part... ugh, I get the feeling I'm just feeding a troll at this point. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

You mean the one where you ignore all the bad things from that season other than draft luck?  The whole part... ugh, I get the feeling I'm just feeding a troll at this point. 

Well, believe it or not I am not trolling you. This being said, look at what I wrote. How would that season be viewed if the Canucks had won the draft lottery? Suddenly, it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and what would the narrative be regarding how Benning ran the team? Likely, it would be that the team got "lucky" despite Benning.

So the Canucks are unlucky in the draft lottery, and this is all Benning's fault? 

regards,  G.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, believe it or not I am not trolling you. This being said, look at what I wrote. How would that season be viewed if the Canucks had won the draft lottery? Suddenly, it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and what would the narrative be regarding how Benning ran the team? Likely, it would be that the team got "lucky" despite Benning.

So the Canucks are unlucky in the draft lottery, and this is all Benning's fault? 

regards,  G.

No, because that season would still include all the other terrible things I mentioned (and you once again ignored). 

The draft lottery wasn't Benning's fault, though "going for it" instead of tanking was.  

Going into the draft with no draft picks, was Benning's fault.

Picking OJ ahead of better players, was Benning's fault.

Signing Loui Eriksson to $6x6, was Benning's fault.

Trading for Gudbranson, was Benning's fault.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

No, because that season would still include all the other terrible things I mentioned (and you once again ignored). 

The draft lottery wasn't Benning's fault, though "going for it" instead of tanking was.  

Going into the draft with no draft picks, was Benning's fault.

Picking OJ ahead of better players, was Benning's fault.

Signing Loui Eriksson to $6x6, was Benning's fault.

Trading for Gudbranson, was Benning's fault.

In your opinion, what has been the best and worst season for the Canucks under Benning.  

For me...

Best Season - 2017-18

It starts with a strong draft. 5 picks in the top 100.  DiPietro, Gadjovich & Lind have all shown some promise and of course then there's Pettersson.  The regular season results were bad but it resulted in a high draft pick that turned in to Quinn Hughes.  Brock Boeser had a great first season and the Sedins had a beautiful, perfect farewell game in Vancouver.  

Worst Season - 2016-17

It starts with a bad draft.  Only 2 picks in the first 4 rounds.  No draft lottery luck, missed out on Matthews & Laine.  OJ, at this point looks like a real bad pick compared to some players taken after him.  Traded draft picks & McCann for Gudbranson.  Signed Loui Eriksson to 6x6.  Only got 69 points.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correction, I wasn't ignoring anything. I was looking at maybe the most significant result in each of the years and asking a question regarding a possible change and how a particular season would then be viewed. If the Canucks got lucky in the 2016 draft and picked higher than 5th, how would that season be viewed? I suspect it would be viewed higher, and since there would (likely) be a better result on that season, maybe the Canucks pick lower in the following draft, which could mean no Pettersson. Is 2017 still the best year?

Going for it is likely an ownership decision, just like telling Benning to tank it would ultimately be an ownership decision.

2016 the team was without their 2nd, their 4th and a 5th. IMO, this was not a particularly crippling event. Almost 20 teams moved their 2nd that year. Lots of GMs don't seem to have a problem with such a trade.

As for Juolevi, I'm a Sergachev guy. This being said, is Juolevi having injury issues Benning's fault? The kid may still turn out to be great, or maybe just okay, or maybe he'll be a bust. I'm willing to wait another year or so to see how he turns out.

I had reservations about Eriksson's deal. This being said, if there was a buzz going around that the Canucks had the inside track on a guy who was coming off of a 30 goal season then I suspect a lot of folks would be very interested. Similarly the Gagner signing, where he was coming off of a 50 point season. Word of Kadri being traded to Calgary has some folks acknowledging his ability and how he would look good in a Canucks' uniform (not liking the guy, just the ability).

I am still okay with the Gudbranson deal. I'm not that thrilled with McCann, and the 2nd and the 4th aren't that big of a loss. That Gudbranson turned into Pearson makes me feel a lot better about the final result, other than it still leaves the Canucks with a whole on defense.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Cheers 1

All of Bennings seasons have been the best and worst, they all have led us to where we are today.   The lotto was not kind to us yet we still managed three great years in a row with top three (potentially or even higher with EP) guys in EP, Hughes and Podz.  

Playoffs finally look to be in our future, maybe for a long time.   More help is on the way in both prospects trickling in (OJ finally) and eventual cap relief as all the chaf and placeholders get replaced internally and externally over the next two or three years - and a definite window seems to be in our future (Podz and Tryamkins arrivals).  Sure things could be better, but as a long time fan I can’t recall when we’ve ever had this many good-great young players assembled together within a few years of each other.    That’s what matters, that’s our core, they are extremely young with a lot of hockey left in them, and once they are all in their primes together we will have a definite shot of becoming one the best teams in our division again.

We were supposed to be one of the worst in the league last year, challenging OTT for DFL.  Sedins and Vanek were gone the sky is falling etc.   Obviously that wasn’t the case.   

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

All of Bennings seasons have been the best and worst, they all have led us to where we are today.   The lotto was not kind to us yet we still managed three great years in a row with top three (potentially or even higher with EP) guys in EP, Hughes and Podz.  

Playoffs finally look to be in our future, maybe for a long time.   More help is on the way in both prospects trickling in (OJ finally) and eventual cap relief as all the chaf and placeholders get replaced internally and externally over the next two or three years - and a definite window seems to be in our future (Podz and Tryamkins arrivals).  Sure things could be better, but as a long time fan I can’t recall when we’ve ever had this many good-great young players assembled together within a few years of each other.    That’s what matters, that’s our core, they are extremely young with a lot of hockey left in them, and once they are all in their primes together we will have a definite shot of becoming one the best teams in our division again.

We were supposed to be one of the worst in the league last year, challenging OTT for DFL.  Sedins and Vanek were gone the sky is falling etc.   Obviously that wasn’t the case.   

We haven’t gotten that many good young players in this time span before because we never finished this bad for the past  5 years before.

Just like the next time we stink the bed for 5 years we will have another injection of good young players. Although Benning tried really hard to curb this by trading 2nds and 1sts for some reason.

• Thanks 1