The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3ICE Professional 3-on-3 Hockey League

Rate this topic

There is a group of people putting together a professional 3-on-3 hockey league and it is starting to look like they're fairly serious about it.

The league is supposed to kick off next summer.  It's going to be an 8 team league, with no city affiliations.  They are going to play in a bracket style tournament over 9 weekends.  Each team will have 7 players dressed for each game, 6 skaters and a goalie.

The league announced Wednesday that the teams will be coached by Guy Carbonneau, Grant Fuhr, Joe Mullen, Larry Murphy, Angela Ruggiero, Bryan Trottier, Ed Johnston and John LeClair.  That's some serious name power.

What do you think?  Will they make it past a single season?  Could this gain traction?  Or will it wind up as a side-show like American Gladiators or Wipeout?

Personally, I think the toughest part to wrap my brain around is the no geographic representation part.  I cheer for my home teams.  Canucks, Lions, Royals, etc.  With 3ICE, do I cheer for the Grant Fuhr team?  Or based on the players?  Or who has the best jersey?  Still, I would really like to see this happen, if nothing else, just to see how it plays out.

The logo of the new 3-on-3 hockey league set to debut in 2021.

https://www.3ice.com/

https://www.tsn.ca/carbonneau-among-hof-coaches-for-3ice-1.1477355

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/hockey/2020/05/20/3-ice-new-3-on-3-hockey-league-coming/5209480002/

Edited by goalie13

The lack of geographical representation is definitely odd in traditional sports, but by and large is the norm in eSports, so it's something I'm a bit familiar with. Would definitely feel different to choose a team to cheer for without just picking the home team and somehow feels more honest.

It will be really interesting to see who they get as players.  You can count out everyone with an NHL contract.  So that leaves, AHL & ECHL guys?  Maybe some that play in Europe but come home to North America for the summer?

36 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

It will be really interesting to see who they get as players.  You can count out everyone with an NHL contract.  So that leaves, AHL & ECHL guys?  Maybe some that play in Europe but come home to North America for the summer?

Maybe some bigot who was cut earlier by Washington :P 

You can have him and his team being the villain haha.

Will probably be hard for this league to survive.  Have to fill the plethora of ESPN channels, regional sports networks, city sports channels, carrier sports channels, and so more. Here in the third largest US metro area we have over 35 channels dedicated to live sports not including specialty packages for MLB, NBA, NHL, and the NFL.  It is weird living this far south and getting to watch some BCHL games overnight, so maybe there is a niche.