The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler nominated for King Clancy Trophy

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 7/27/2020 at 2:08 PM, ruilin96 said:

He is gentleman for sure but he also can lay hits. When he lays a hit, he can really lay them. I still remember his open-ice hit on Drew Doughty in the 2010 playoffs as Doughty was driving the net. His hit on Patrick Kane in game 1 of our series against the Blackhawks in 2011 also set the tone. Earlier this season, he absolutely leveled cry baby Kevin Lebanc of the Sharks and led to the entire Sharks team throwing tantrums. I hope to see more of the hard hitting Edler this upcoming playoffs!

I remember him totally crushing Ryan Smyth when we played the Kings in the playoffs, too. Smyth was woozy when he got up 

4 hours ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

I remember him totally crushing Ryan Smyth when we played the Kings in the playoffs, too. Smyth was woozy when he got up 

I still remember Ryan Smyth crying when Edmonton traded him to the Islanders for 2 months.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, Baggins said:

By the rules, as currently written and enforced, it was an illegal hit. He was about five or six inches off from making body contact prior to the head. It was one of those fine line hits that was on the wrong side of the line. I don't believe for a moment it was his intent, but intent and result often don't match up.

That said, Edler is full value for the nomination.

Go look at the hit... 50/50  puck

as edler angles hertl off towards the boards he starts to lean toward hertl and hertl literally skates into his elbow.

That's like suing over walking into a parked car.

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Go look at the hit... 50/50  puck

as edler angles hertl off towards the boards he starts to lean toward hertl and hertl literally skates into his elbow.

That's like suing over walking into a parked car.

No need, I've watched it several times. Just without the homer glasses. Edler did not hit "into" the body prior to head contact. By the current rules that's illegal contact to the head.

No penalty on the play, he was suspended because sjs cried to the NHL.

This exact hit is made every nhl game.

His head got hit because he tried to jump around Edler,  hertl changed his position, making himself vulnerable.

Whats edler to do? Neither had the puck hertl went to chip it by and cut around edler.

Making hertl eligible to be hit.

The hit to the head is 100% on hertl and the dumb DOPS suspension.

@Baggins

Edited by GhostsOf1994

22 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

No penalty on the play, he was suspended because sjs cried to the NHL.

This exact hit is made every nhl game.

His head got hit because he tried to jump around Edler,  hertl changed his position, making himself vulnerable.

Whats edler to do? Neither had the puck hertl went to chip it by and cut around edler.

Making hertl eligible to be hit.

The hit to the head is 100% on hertl and the dumb DOPS suspension.

@Baggins

Again, watched the video many times.

Again no penalty doesn't mean no suspension. Just as a penalty doesn't mean there will be a suspension.

Watch the Player Safety video on illegal head contact. 

The key to a check involving head contact being legal is "hitting into the body".