The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I have a major problem. I cant watch this at home because someone will want to watch something else and I dont want the $50 to go down the drain. I cant watch it with who I usually watch it with because we're avoiding each other. He's the one that introduced me to the sport so i usually feel obliged to watch it with him. As for the other option, I dont want to watch it with my cousin because im going to be with all his guy friends. So many problems, i just want to watch a few good fights :(

UFC noobs?

Are you joking me? Who the hell do you think you are?

You're probably one of those bandwagon UFC fans that know nothing about MMA whatsoever.

I'd have to agree, shouldn't matter how much 'expertise' you have in the sport in order to comment. Not like the guy who posted was trying to act like he was knowledgable. He just gave his predictions.

I have a major problem. I cant watch this at home because someone will want to watch something else and I dont want the $50 to go down the drain. I cant watch it with who I usually watch it with because we're avoiding each other. He's the one that introduced me to the sport so i usually feel obliged to watch it with him. As for the other option, I dont want to watch it with my cousin because im going to be with all his guy friends. So many problems, i just want to watch a few good fights :(

Go to Boston Pizza alone. Win.

Buy a $20 meal and you're set.

No way is Lesnar and Mir ending in first.

How come nobody is Alves a chance ? that guy is good, if he keeps off the ground he has a good chance winning.

No way? He almost did it in the first fight if Mazagatti didn't make that stupid stoppage.

Again, its my prediction. Not yours, not his, not Obamas, my prediction.

Everyone is giving Alves a chance, but the reality is that GSP is the better overall fighter.

He not only excels at say striking but he excels at every aspect of MMA.

Alves may have a slight size advantage but I can't see him defending GSP's Olympic caliber wrestling ability and ground game.

Alves is too one dimension in my opinion. Well see, anything is possible. :lol:

No way? He almost did it in the first fight if Mazagatti didn't make that stupid stoppage.

Again, its my prediction. Not yours, not his, not Obamas, my prediction.

Everyone is giving Alves a chance, but the reality is that GSP is the better overall fighter.

He not only excels at say striking but he excels at every aspect of MMA.

Alves may have a slight size advantage but I can't see him defending GSP's Olympic caliber wrestling ability and ground game.

Alves is too one dimension in my opinion. Well see, anything is possible. :lol:

They both have changed since then, I don't think either is going down that easily, unless someone gets in a big shot early. But if you saw the weight in's, you can tell Mir looks much better now and probably won't get caught again, but Lesnar I hear has vastly improved his ground game so he shouldn't get submitted as easily, but in the end I think Lesnar will take it.

Calm down lol, just trying have a little discussion.

I don't know, all I can say is that this will be a very close match, both are good(Alves and GSP).

They both have changed since then, I don't think either is going down that easily, unless someone gets in a big shot early. But if you saw the weight in's, you can tell Mir looks much better now and probably won't get caught again, but Lesnar I hear has vastly improved his ground game so he shouldn't get submitted as easily, but in the end I think Lesnar will take it.

Calm down lol, just trying have a little discussion.

I don't know, all I can say is that this will be a very close match, both are good(Alves and GSP).

No, no. I was trying to have a discussion also. :lol: .

That fight was what? Over a year ago. Both fighters have improved and that's a fact.

I'm just saying Lesnar made a mistake that reeked of inexperience.

I don't expect it to happen again and I don't expect him to lose.

Though I do expect him to get his arse handed to him when he ultimately fights Carwin. :P

UFC LOOKING TO SCHEDULE EVENT IN VANCOUVER NEXT JUNE

LAS VEGAS -- The UFC is looking at coming to Vancouver next June, co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta said Saturday.

"Canada's been really difficult to navigate in," Fertitta told a question-and-answer session at the UFC Fan Expo. "It's an interesting situation because I think pound-for-pound the UFC is more popular in Canada than any other country including the U.S.A. I mean, it's amazing."

But there are sanctioning problems about staging live events in some provinces, noted Fertitta

"We're in discussions with the government about them changing its laws and we feel very positive about it," he added, without specifying which level of government. "Vancouver is somewhere we've made a lot of progress. We've actually pencilled in our June pay-per-view for Vancouver of next year."

The UFC has held two cards in Canada to date, both in Montreal: UFC 83 in April 2008 and UFC 97 in April 2009. Each was a sellout at the Bell Centre, setting a record for an MMA audience in North America.

The mixed martial arts organization is also holding talks with the Ontario government about bringing the sport there. UFC president Dana White had said he hoped to hold an event in Toronto later this year, but has now revised that forecast to 2010.

"We're going to be in Toronto. I guarantee it," he told fans Saturday. "And it will be the biggest mixed martial arts event in North America."

The Rogers Centre has been cited as a possible venue.

White said the success of the sport in Canada caught the UFC by surprise.

"Canada is the Mecca of mixed martial arts right now and I didn't see that one coming," he said.

Notes: Fertitta said Croatian heavyweight Mirko (Cro Cop) Filipovic has indeed signed a three-fight deal with the UFC. Filipovic returned to the organization for UFC 99 last month in Germany but appeared headed to the rival Dream promoter after that. Fertitta said he secured a contract from Filipovic after visiting his home in Croatia ... White said the UFC is also planning a card in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. "The reality is once we go into Abu Dhabi and put on an event there, there's enough fans there that were going to do well there. ... But what happens is when they leave that place, they're going to infect 10 or 15 other people. This is like a virus, is what mixed martial arts is."

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=284459