The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

People who say no one in the UFC can beat Lesnar, well there's a guy by the name of Shane freakin' Carwin.

I'm sure most of you don't know who he is cause this thread is 90% of poser fans that are entirely clueless about MMA.

Carwin is a huge guy, but I don't think he has the power or the quickness that Lesnar has. In the Gabe Gonzaga fight, he looked very uncomfortable on his back.........imagine having Lesnar on top of him pounding on him. That said, I like Carwin and would love to see that fight, but I just don't see him at the same level as lesnar.

Lesnar was one of the best wrestlers in the history of the NCAA...........he's got plenty of skill.

side note... he couldn't beat Shelton Benjamin while Brock was at the Univ of Minnesota (I only know about it from an article I saw many years ago while Brock was still in college.)

Cain Velasquez could challenge Lesnar if he continues to win against top contenders and improve his jujitsu

jujitsu won't work on lesnar. frank mir had the best jujitsu in his weight class and got destroyed.

Valesquez needs to learn how to sprawl like thiago alves or the iceman.

It took him only 69 seconds to knock out a former number one contender.

Have his day with him? In 10 of his professional 11 bouts, no one has lasted longer than 2minutes with him except one.

That exception lasted 2:11 and he tapped because Carwin was unleashing his XXXXL fist onto his face.

Wow! Talk about overrating someone. Well if you hate Lesnar, just say so. I even hate Lesnar, but the guy is a beast and a freak of nature. He would probably destroy Carwin if they had a match just because of his brute strength. I don't know of any fighter who can come close or equal his strength in his weight division.

It took him only 69 seconds to knock out a former number one contender.

Have his day with him? In 10 of his professional 11 bouts, no one has lasted longer than 2minutes with him except one.

That exception lasted 2:11 and he tapped because Carwin was unleashing his XXXXL fist onto his face.

The problem with Carwin is that despite his 11 fight dominance, he is largely untested and doesn't have a noteworthy victory other then Gonzaga. But even then, I think Gonzaga was overrated because of his KO of Cro-Cop which was just a great kick. Not to mention that Couture whooped Gonzaga pretty bad as well and we know what Lesnar did to Couture. (albeit 15 months later)

If Carwin beats Velasquez, then I'll be more sold on him.

Edited by Gnickers87

Cain Velasquez could challenge Lesnar if he continues to win against top contenders and improve his jujitsu

I think so as well,

Velasquez is only 6'1, but is very strong and has excellent lower-body strength. Because of his shorter stature and the fact he is so sturdy on his feet, Lesnar could have some issues taking him down. He also showed in the Kongo fight he has a steel jaw.

Speaking of Kongo, I think he comes close to matching the strength and size of Lesnar, but his ground-game is non-existent and he has a terrible take-down defence. As such, Lesnar would annihilate him

What an amazing event to be at live!! One of the best nights of my life!!

Also, the fact my buddy and I were allowed to bring in a 2-6 of Captain, so long as we poured it into plastic cups.... PERFECT!!!

You went to mandalay bay to watch this fight? How much for the tix?

You went to mandalay bay to watch this fight? How much for the tix?

Yah, I ended getting two tickets for $200/each face value during the Fight Club presale. This was the second lowest price range and we were the third row from the top in the corner!! Didn't matter though, the arena is a smaller venue (smaller than MGM at least). We had a killer view.

Honestly though, the highlight of my TRIP was Hendo's KO of Bisping. WOW!!! Finally got to see the replay tonight when I got home! VICIOUS!!

It was truelly amazing to see Henderson KO Bisping, couldn't have asked for anything more.

The CDN champ GSP retained his title with a dominant performance over the pitbull Thiago Alves.

Brock finally got his payback and it was nice to see him go out of control after the fight.

John Fitchs technical wrestling paid off as he earned his 10th UFC victory.

I believe that Alan Belcher got ripped off, that fight was his and whoever that scored the fight 30-27 should be fined.

went 4 for 5 (hendo, gsp, lesnar, fitch) on this great event :)

Edited by Canaacks

It was truelly amazing to see Henderson KO Bisping, couldn't have asked for anything more.

The CDN champ GSP retained his title with a dominant performance over the pitbull Thiago Alves.

Brock finally got his pay back and it was nice to see him go out of control after the fight.

John Fitchs technical wrestling paid off as earned his 10th UFC victory.

I believe that Alan Belcher got ripped off, that fight was his and whoever that scored the fight 30-27 should be fined.

went 4 for 5 (hendo, gsp, lesnar, fitch) on this great event :)

Although I wanted Sexyama to win in his debut; I too felt that Belcher deserved the win.

My buddy was laughing pretty hard when they announce a judge scored it 30-27. Brutal.

jujitsu won't work on lesnar. frank mir had the best jujitsu in his weight class and got destroyed.

Valesquez needs to learn how to sprawl like thiago alves or the iceman.

I agree that avoiding a takedown is critical to neutralizing Lesnar but sprawl like alves? GSP was successfully shooting at will

I had Akiyama winning 2 rounds so imo i don't think Belcher got fleeced

I agree that avoiding a takedown is critical to neutralizing Lesnar but sprawl like alves? GSP was successfully shooting at will

True but you cannot compare lesnar with GSP.

Thiago would force the sprawl first, unlike Mir, who would willingly force guard.

It would take the world's best jujitsu to take down a 265lb lesnar, and frank mir doesn't have that.

I think what Brock did really hurt the UFC's case in trying to get into new markets, NY, Vancouver etc.

His apology was pathetic, and was only made because Dana White laid into him.

In any other pro sport (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB etc) you give the middle finger(s) to the crowd and it will most likely result in fines and or suspensions.

True but you cannot compare lesnar with GSP.

Thiago would force the sprawl first, unlike Mir, who would willingly force guard.

It would take the world's best jujitsu to take down a 265lb lesnar, and frank mir doesn't have that.

Maybe Fedor Emelianenko and his world class submissions will be what it takes to defeat the behemoth

I think what Brock did really hurt the UFC's case in trying to get into new markets, NY, Vancouver etc.

His apology was pathetic, and was only made because Dana White laid into him.

In any other pro sport (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB etc) you give the middle finger(s) to the crowd and it will most likely result in fines and or suspensions.

i thought fingering the crowd was awesome