The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

UFC should change all Main Events no matter if it's a title fight or not to 5, 5 minute rounds

I STRONGLY disagree with this. I think these five minutes are too long for MMA sports, and most of the players are gassed by the 4-minute mark. A lot of overseas stuff uses 3-minute rounds, and I find the action to be much more intense (partly due to no grappling/wrestling, but they really do tire much slower than UFC guys). Even boxing uses 3-minute rounds to keep the level play as intense as possible.

I understand that they can't suddenly change the times, but having shorter fights is also good. I don't care about PPV people wanting a more valuable deal, if White wants UFC to become more exciting, he can't have boring fights. Even though it was just a three-round match, didn't it look like Rampage and Rashad were exhausted? Sure, there might have been a different outcome in a five-round match (maybe even a KO), but it would DEFINITELY be a lower quality fight during those last 10 minutes.

Stamina is an important thing, but I think most would agree that we can sacrifice a bit of that for a few more flying fists. If you don't agree, watch old-school wrestling.

Here is a grossly unfair comparison (I admit it):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wg4LeyDXWc0

Three-minute fights, but there's no grappling/wrestling (a CRAPLOAD of energy required for that), so yeah. But come on, who likes it when someone is in a guard and they are just chilling for a few seconds to catch their breath? I want non-stop action.

Edited by DL_Panda

Rashad fought like a b!tch. Me and my friends were pretty pissed off that we paid money to watch Rashad run away from Rampage for most of the fight.. All he did was push him up against the cage and try to make Rampage tired. And whenever they were standing up Rampage would keep moving in on Rashad and he kept moving away. Me and my friends were thinking that Dana White is probably pretty choked after watching what Rashad Evans did tonight.

Oh well, Shogun will hopefully knock Rashad out in the first round unless Rashad fights like he did against Rampage. Than Shogun will probably have to chase him down to knock him out..

Edited by Steven Stamkos 91

Can`t believe how boring that fight was. $50 for a main fight like that? Rampage should have capitalized on that chance he had when he almost had Rashad..but no..he stood there and watched him recover.

Shogun will own Rashad, just as Machida own him. I want to see Rampage vs Rashad 2.

Lol, man. Todd Duffee looked awesome, and he got put on his arse.

Can`t believe how boring that fight was. $50 for a main fight like that? Rampage should have capitalized on that chance he had when he almost had Rashad..but no..he stood there and watched him recover.

Shogun will own Rashad, just as Machida own him. I want to see Rampage vs Rashad 2.

Lol, man. Todd Duffee looked awesome, and he got put on his arse.

You don't pay $50 bucks JUST to watch the main event. The PPV as a whole was fantastic.

• Upvote 1

Rashad fought an almost perfect fight. One little bump. So what if he wasn't moving forward the entire fight? What's he supposed to do, walk into Rampage's fists?? When he got the chances to take him down, he did. Not to mention he also landed more punches than Page.

I know there's a lot of Rashad haters for whatever reason, but can't blame the guy for doing what he did. I actually enjoyed the main event AND the entire card. Well worth $60.

And dude, John Hathaway looed great! And Jason Brilz won 29-28, again showing how terrible the judging system is.

Rashad fought like a b!tch. Me and my friends were pretty pissed off that we paid money to watch Rashad run away from Rampage for most of the fight.. All he did was push him up against the cage and try to make Rampage tired. And whenever they were standing up Rampage would keep moving in on Rashad and he kept moving away. Me and my friends were thinking that Dana White is probably pretty choked after watching what Rashad Evans did tonight.

Oh well, Shogun will hopefully knock Rashad out in the first round unless Rashad fights like he did against Rampage. Than Shogun will probably have to chase him down to knock him out..

What did you want Rashad to do? Stand and trade with Rampage? He's not stupid.

My friends and I...

What did you want Rashad to do? Stand and trade with Rampage? He's not stupid.

I guess that when I see two guys that hate eachother this much I figured that they would stand up and try and knock eachother out. Both of them were saying in their pre-fight interviews that they wanted to knock the other guy out. It seemed like Rampage was trying to for most of the fight. But it's pretty difficult to do that when Rashad keeps backing away from him and holding him up against the cage.

Edited by Steven Stamkos 91

I guess that when I see two guys that hate eachother this much I figured that they would stand up and try and knock eachother out. Both of them were saying in their pre-fight interviews that they wanted to knock the other guy out. It seemed like Rampage was trying to for most of the fight. But it's pretty difficult to do that when Rashad keeps backing away from him and holding him up against the cage.

Rashad had a smart gameplan but I feel where you're coming from. Rashad said so much crap bout knocking out Rampage but he never intended to follow through with it.

No worries Rashad just won himself an @$$ kicking for Shogun

Rashad had a smart gameplan but I feel where you're coming from. Rashad said so much crap bout knocking out Rampage but he never intended to follow through with it.

No worries Rashad just won himself an @$$ kicking for Shogun

I agree, Rashad has no chance against Shogun. I can't wait to see Shogun kick his @ss.

time and time again lately, the ufc is proving to be the least entertaining of the big fight organizations. there seems to be very little "martial arts" these days and a lot of bad boxing mixed with wrestling. these guys are training the excitement right out of the sport. its like trap hockey....

time and time again lately, the ufc is proving to be the least entertaining of the big fight organizations. there seems to be very little "martial arts" these days and a lot of bad boxing mixed with wrestling. these guys are training the excitement right out of the sport. its like trap hockey....

Yes. And like trap hockey, it's effective. The UFC will be the leading fight organization for a very long time. Get used to it. If you don't want to do that. Well don't watch. LOL.

Yes. And like trap hockey, it's effective. The UFC will be the leading fight organization for a very long time. Get used to it. If you don't want to do that. Well don't watch. LOL.

I just want to know why the refs can't force the fighters to speed up the pace, or force the guys out of the grapple if they slack off too much. Under the current standards, it looks like you really have to sleep for a while until you're forced up. Unfortunately, the two guys are dog-tired without actually hurting each other, leaving a very boring remainder of the round.

I understand that round times can't be decreased (although that would be the absolute best), but if they made all fights (including championship fights) to three-round matches, it would be much more intense.

Please don't back up slow-paced, "intellectual" fighting. If you really want to to see wrestling for 30 minutes, watch some amateur stuff or jujitsu tournaments.

I just want to know why the refs can't force the fighters to speed up the pace, or force the guys out of the grapple if they slack off too much. Under the current standards, it looks like you really have to sleep for a while until you're forced up. Unfortunately, the two guys are dog-tired without actually hurting each other, leaving a very boring remainder of the round.

I understand that round times can't be decreased (although that would be the absolute best), but if they made all fights (including championship fights) to three-round matches, it would be much more intense.

Please don't back up slow-paced, "intellectual" fighting. If you really want to to see wrestling for 30 minutes, watch some amateur stuff or jujitsu tournaments.

One punch. One punch is all it takes for a guy to be knocked out. Now think about this. If you're on the ground holding on to your opponent using every ounce of man love you have in your being are you going to take that one punch? Probably Not. Which is why nowadays you see fighters taking the fight to the ground way more often. Just like Machida did against Shogun. Very very ineffective however. Now from a fans point of few, admittedly it is very boring to watch two grown men roll around an octagon. But from a fighters point of view, who if he takes that one punch I mentioned earlier could be cut from the UFC and then turn to drugs, alcohol etc. he doesn't want to go down that road. Hell who would? Yea that's quite extreme but hey I'm trying to prove my point.

I STRONGLY disagree with this. I think these five minutes are too long for MMA sports, and most of the players are gassed by the 4-minute mark. A lot of overseas stuff uses 3-minute rounds, and I find the action to be much more intense (partly due to no grappling/wrestling, but they really do tire much slower than UFC guys). Even boxing uses 3-minute rounds to keep the level play as intense as possible.

I understand that they can't suddenly change the times, but having shorter fights is also good. I don't care about PPV people wanting a more valuable deal, if White wants UFC to become more exciting, he can't have boring fights. Even though it was just a three-round match, didn't it look like Rampage and Rashad were exhausted? Sure, there might have been a different outcome in a five-round match (maybe even a KO), but it would DEFINITELY be a lower quality fight during those last 10 minutes.

Stamina is an important thing, but I think most would agree that we can sacrifice a bit of that for a few more flying fists. If you don't agree, watch old-school wrestling.

Here is a grossly unfair comparison (I admit it):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wg4LeyDXWc0

Three-minute fights, but there's no grappling/wrestling (a CRAPLOAD of energy required for that), so yeah. But come on, who likes it when someone is in a guard and they are just chilling for a few seconds to catch their breath? I want non-stop action.

Thats what makes the UFC intense.

Long rounds is where athletism kicks in.

You have to be athetlic with staminia to be sucessful.

You gotta train your a$$ off. And thats why Rampages fat donkey lost lol

(Very amateur reply I admit it but its true)