The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

I just want to know why the refs can't force the fighters to speed up the pace, or force the guys out of the grapple if they slack off too much. Under the current standards, it looks like you really have to sleep for a while until you're forced up. Unfortunately, the two guys are dog-tired without actually hurting each other, leaving a very boring remainder of the round.

I understand that round times can't be decreased (although that would be the absolute best), but if they made all fights (including championship fights) to three-round matches, it would be much more intense.

Please don't back up slow-paced, "intellectual" fighting. If you really want to to see wrestling for 30 minutes, watch some amateur stuff or jujitsu tournaments.

Honestly you sound like one of those WWE fanboys that switched over to MMA expecting bar brawls.

• Upvote 1

Honestly you sound like one of those WWE fanboys that switched over to MMA expecting bar brawls.

Is American fighting the only thing you know?

Hate me if you want, but I think professional wrestling is a joke.

Seeing as how you defend UFC all the time, I really expected a better response than this. I don't want bar brawls, but I don't want fights that look like it's going into fifth overtime.

Is American fighting the only thing you know?

Hate me if you want, but I think professional wrestling is a joke.

Seeing as how you defend UFC all the time, I really expected a better response than this. I don't want bar brawls, but I don't want fights that look like it's going into fifth overtime.

I always thought Pride had the right idea of giving "yellow cards" to fighters if they thought that they werent pushing the pace or simply not competing.

On a similar note, im tired of people complaining about GSP not finishing his fights lately... I must have heard that 4x at the bar on Saturday night, the guy has not lost a round in almost 4 fights (I believe he has won 17 straight rounds) and is doing what makes him effective, wrestling. He is a world class wrestler and utilizes that. Stop complaining about the fact that he hasnt knocked anyone out in a couple years and if Dan Hardy's arms were not akin to Gumby GSP would have had a submission stoppage at 111.

Sorry, just had to get that out

On a similar note, im tired of people complaining about GSP not finishing his fights lately... I must have heard that 4x at the bar on Saturday night, the guy has not lost a round in almost 4 fights (I believe he has won 17 straight rounds) and is doing what makes him effective, wrestling. He is a world class wrestler and utilizes that. Stop complaining about the fact that he hasnt knocked anyone out in a couple years and if Dan Hardy's arms were not akin to Gumby GSP would have had a submission stoppage at 111.

Sorry, just had to get that out

I don't care about GSP. I know what he's supposed to do if he wants to keep winning rounds, and for him, being in a dominant position is all he needs. Unfortunately, it doesn't bring that level of intensity, but he never builds up fights the way Rashad and Rampage did.

Shorter rounds could potentially solve this, as you have an increased sense of urgency. That or the refs should try and speed up the game (if a guy begins to sit on the opponent for even 2 seconds, you bring them up).

• Upvote 1

I don't care about GSP. I know what he's supposed to do if he wants to keep winning rounds, and for him, being in a dominant position is all he needs. Unfortunately, it doesn't bring that level of intensity, but he never builds up fights the way Rashad and Rampage did.

Shorter rounds could potentially solve this, as you have an increased sense of urgency. That or the refs should try and speed up the game (if a guy begins to sit on the opponent for even 2 seconds, you bring them up).

I dont think he cares about that level of intensity because whle he has the belt and hes winning rounds (17 in a row like that guy said) hes not going to change anything. You really don't understand or respect the ground game at all, if someone doesn't move for 2 seconds they have to be stood up? Thats crazy talk, the ground game is just as important as striking and can be jsut as exciting at times. I actually liked lil Nog's fight even though he did loose only because of the high level of Jui jit su shown in that fight. If you don't like the ground game then keep watching K1 and Boxing.

Serra made him a conservative fighter. Now he wrestles, and strikes when his opponents expect the shoot. I don't think GSP has succumb to lay and prey tactics, but he's definately not the same fighter that clocked Jay Hieron unconscious.

I also expect Machida to revert back to his in and out decision winning ways after being knocked out by Shogun.

I dont think he cares about that level of intensity because whle he has the belt and hes winning rounds (17 in a row like that guy said) hes not going to change anything. You really don't understand or respect the ground game at all, if someone doesn't move for 2 seconds they have to be stood up? Thats crazy talk, the ground game is just as important as striking and can be jsut as exciting at times. I actually liked lil Nog's fight even though he did loose only because of the high level of Jui jit su shown in that fight. If you don't like the ground game then keep watching K1 and Boxing.

This is why I don't think badly about GSP. If that's what it takes for him to be invincible, so be it.

Other than that, though, I do want more action in other aspects. I think if the game is sped up, it'll be much better.

I STRONGLY disagree with this. I think these five minutes are too long for MMA sports, and most of the players are gassed by the 4-minute mark. A lot of overseas stuff uses 3-minute rounds, and I find the action to be much more intense (partly due to no grappling/wrestling, but they really do tire much slower than UFC guys). Even boxing uses 3-minute rounds to keep the level play as intense as possible.

I understand that they can't suddenly change the times, but having shorter fights is also good. I don't care about PPV people wanting a more valuable deal, if White wants UFC to become more exciting, he can't have boring fights. Even though it was just a three-round match, didn't it look like Rampage and Rashad were exhausted? Sure, there might have been a different outcome in a five-round match (maybe even a KO), but it would DEFINITELY be a lower quality fight during those last 10 minutes.

Stamina is an important thing, but I think most would agree that we can sacrifice a bit of that for a few more flying fists. If you don't agree, watch old-school wrestling.

Here is a grossly unfair comparison (I admit it):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wg4LeyDXWc0

Three-minute fights, but there's no grappling/wrestling (a CRAPLOAD of energy required for that), so yeah. But come on, who likes it when someone is in a guard and they are just chilling for a few seconds to catch their breath? I want non-stop action.

Well if you are able to earn a spot in the main event, you should be expected to be able to last the whole fight. If your the best...

EDIT: Longer rounds, higher chance of knockouts or submissions

Edited by PlayStation

Yeah, people on Craigslist are desperate to sell right now. There are lot of listings and a lot of tickets for minimum 1/4 off the retail price. Silly lambs who bought up all the tickets from TicketMaster, then overestimating the hype and demand for the event lol

Anyone have any info on the weigh in's? They are usually free but do you still need tix? The time? Anything?

I was told by a friend that they are Friday at GM Place around 2 or 3. First come first serve, not sure what the cap off is but I doubt it'll fill up since most people will be at work and unaware of them. Fight club members get priority as well. There's also a John Fitch auto session happening before hand, not sure but the auto session might only be for fight club members.

I'm still contemplating over going to the pre and after party. I won't be able to make the event itself cause of work but i'll order it. Does anyone know if we'll get a live feed of 115? Also LOL @ the scalpers, ticket prices keep dropping :lol:

This is the information I got from UFC Fight Club:

UFC® 115 Weigh-In and Q&A w/ Chael Sonnen — June 11, 2010

Starts at

2:00pm Pacific Time (US & Canada)

Doors Open

1:00pm

Ages

All Ages

Related Events

Weigh In

More Information

1 PM Fight Club Exclusive Q&A Check In Begins

Each Fight Club member must print and bring their unique barcode accompanied with photo identification to gain entry. Each Fight Club member may bring one guest.

1 PM UFC Autograph Session with Gray Maynard, Dan Hardy, Jon Fitch

2 PM Fight Club Exclusive Q&A Session Begins with Chael Sonnen

3 PM Doors open to General Public

4 PM Weigh-in Begins

5PM Fight Club Party at the Shark Club following the UFC 115 weigh-in (Organized by Fight Club Member: SeattleJosh) 180 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 4P4

Yeah, people on Craigslist are desperate to sell right now. There are lot of listings and a lot of tickets for minimum 1/4 off the retail price. Silly lambs who bought up all the tickets from TicketMaster, then overestimating the hype and demand for the event lol

Agreed. That's why I sold mine for just over face value. I was charging far less than what these tards were trying to get after they went on sale. I guess you could say I gwas lucky too!

This is the information I got from UFC Fight Club:

UFC® 115 Weigh-In and Q&A w/ Chael Sonnen — June 11, 2010

Starts at

2:00pm Pacific Time (US & Canada)

Doors Open

1:00pm

Ages

All Ages

Related Events

Weigh In

More Information

1 PM Fight Club Exclusive Q&A Check In Begins

Each Fight Club member must print and bring their unique barcode accompanied with photo identification to gain entry. Each Fight Club member may bring one guest.

1 PM UFC Autograph Session with Gray Maynard, Dan Hardy, Jon Fitch

2 PM Fight Club Exclusive Q&A Session Begins with Chael Sonnen

3 PM Doors open to General Public

4 PM Weigh-in Begins

5PM Fight Club Party at the Shark Club following the UFC 115 weigh-in (Organized by Fight Club Member: SeattleJosh) 180 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 4P4

So is the auto session only for Fight Club members? I wanted to get a pic with Dan Hardy.

^Anyone know?

Ticket prices have really dropped. Does the event start at 4 or 7? I'm stuck at work till 5 and still contemplating whether or not to go.

Undercard starts at 4. I think the main PPV card starts at 7.