The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

^ you have to remember though that more weight does not = better in heavyweight.

there comes a point in heavyweight where more weight actually makes you a worse fighter hence why the division allows a 60 pound difference.

Fedor built the way he is at WW and LHW would probably lose to quite a few guys. I think he would lose to GSP. The skill level at Heavyweight is pretty bad compared to the others.

He isn't a WW or a LHW though that is the situation. He doesn't cut weight to fight lighter guys. He stays at his weight to fight anyone. It doesn't matter to him. He fights at the same weight he walks around at. That tells me he isn't afraid to fight anyone. Bigger or smaller. He just stays at his regular weight and kicks everyones donkey. Here is the question for GSP or silva. Would either of them fight him at their walk around weight? I'm pretty sure that is a big no. When you cut weight you are only doing it trying to get an advantage. Fedor doesn't cut weight to fight in a lower weight class. He doesn't gain weight to fight bigger opponents. He relies on himself for the advantage and not the scales.

^ you have to remember though that more weight does not = better in heavyweight.

there comes a point in heavyweight where more weight actually makes you a worse fighter hence why the division allows a 60 pound difference.

Fedor built the way he is at WW and LHW would probably lose to quite a few guys. I think he would lose to GSP. The skill level at Heavyweight is pretty bad compared to the others.

He isn't a WW or a LHW though that is the situation. He doesn't cut weight to fight lighter guys. He stays at his weight to fight anyone. It doesn't matter to him. He fights at the same weight he walks around at. That tells me he isn't afraid to fight anyone. Bigger or smaller. He just stays at his regular weight and kicks everyones donkey. Here is the question for GSP or silva. Would either of them fight him at their walk around weight? I'm pretty sure that is a big no. When you cut weight you are only doing it trying to get an advantage. Fedor doesn't cut weight to fight in a lower weight class. He doesn't gain weight to fight bigger opponents. He relies on himself for the advantage and not the scales.

Edit: glad to see you come back again :)

I had the choice of reading your post of dom's post. I thought I would go for intelligence first. Now I'm going to read dom's post because I need a good laugh.

Everyone below heavyweight cuts to some degree though, while the heavyweight division {of any fight sport, not just MMA} has always attracted plenty of fighters who just don't have the disipline to fight at a lower weight that may be better suited to their frame size.

Everyone below heavyweight cuts to some degree though, while the heavyweight division {of any fight sport, not just MMA} has always attracted plenty of fighters who just don't have the disipline to fight at a lower weight that may be better suited to their frame size.

I agree with you to some degree. But I think fighters who cut weight and then gain it back for fights. That is more or less cheating. It's why a lot of people want two weigh ins now. Day before and an hour before fight time. You don't make weight you are out. If they want to cut weight up until an hour before fight time. I would be open to that no problem

Edited by Harbinger

Edit: glad to see you come back again :)

I had the choice of reading your post of dom's post. I thought I would go for intelligence first. Now I'm going to read dom's post because I need a good laugh.

thanks haha. I havent been posting much at all but when i returned i noticed dom. seems like the new geeno. new poster? i didnt check his sign up date.

The concept of p4p is if everything was equal and they were the same size who would be better.

Would GSP/Silva fight Fedor at his current size? hm? they are much smaller.

They cut weight because everyone else cuts weight. WW are actually middleweights. MW are actually light heavyweights. Light Heavyweights are actually Heavyweights. The guys at heavyweights are actually super heavyweights.

Its actually beneficial for Fedor to fight at his own weigh 240 because most of the guys in that division are slow and out of shape.

LHW are actually better than Heavyweights because they have both knock out power plus speed. That i think is the top division in all of MMA at the moment. It would actually be more challenging for Fedor to fight at LHW where the skill level is higher.

The heavyweights have knockout power but are slow and pretty one dimensional. Fedor is a well rounded fighter in a division of one dimensional guys.

I still rate him #2 p4p though but i just think at WW and LHW he would lose a few times. If Fedor was 185 like GSP i think he would lose because GSP just has more skill.

thanks haha. I havent been posting much at all but when i returned i noticed dom. seems like the new geeno. new poster? i didnt check his sign up date.

The concept of p4p is if everything was equal and they were the same size who would be better.

Would GSP/Silva fight Fedor at his current size? hm? they are much smaller.

They cut weight because everyone else cuts weight. WW are actually middleweights. MW are actually light heavyweights. Light Heavyweights are actually Heavyweights. The guys at heavyweights are actually super heavyweights.

Its actually beneficial for Fedor to fight at his own weigh 240 because most of the guys in that division are slow and out of shape.

LHW are actually better than Heavyweights because they have both knock out power plus speed. That i think is the top division in all of MMA at the moment. It would actually be more challenging for Fedor to fight at LHW where the skill level is higher.

The heavyweights have knockout power but are slow and pretty one dimensional. Fedor is a well rounded fighter in a division of one dimensional guys.

I still rate him #2 p4p though but i just think at WW and LHW he would lose a few times. If Fedor was 185 like GSP i think he would lose because GSP just has more skill.

I hate to say it. But GSP disagrees with you. ;)

because hes modest

he would never say "im the best" and thats why we love him ;)

I like him too. I don't even care that he lathers himself with Vaseline ;) But if you are liking him for being humble. I ask you "have you ever heard Fedor trash talk anyone or ever not been completely humble?"

:D

I blame Anderson 60%. He is the middleweight champion. he pulled the same crap against Cote. People paid 50 bucks to watch a top fighter dance.

We all already knew Leities was a can so he fought to his max. But what you essentially have is Anderson Silva being afraid to fight on the ground VS Thailes Leities (sp?) who is afraid to stand and punch.

Both guys sucked but if Anderson is truly a top fighter he should not be scared to fight anywhere. Like Fedor and GSP he should go and crush an opponent anywhere the fight goes.

GSP is 5'10 and maxes out at 187.

Anderson Silva is 6'2 and maxes out at 225. But cuts big time (probably is 205 before leading up to fight) to make it to middleweight.

Theres a huge height/weight difference here.

I agree with Jermi, Anderson needs to fight guys his own size with the same reach in the LHW division. He is fighting cans and now he wants to drop another division to fight GSP?

I thinks GSP is a lot more talented and more well rounded than Silva but this shouldnt always be about GSP fighting the best, for once it should be about Anderson fighting someone bigger and better than him. Dana cant keep feeding him TUF fighter cans and then telling the world that Fedor sucks and fights garbage.

I agree with you completely, except I would probably say that I blame Anderson Silva 85%..

I've never been a fan of counter punchers like Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell and last night shows why; during the entire fight with all the antics, stupidity and showing his frustration, I was getting upset at him and not Leites. I think Machida belongs in a different kind of counter punch category because his style is a little bit different, I actually appreciate how he jumps in and out and takes very little damage. I think the difference is that he selectively applies pressure to force mistakes, whereas Anderson Silva waits for his opponents to stalk towards him and relies on his opponent to dictate the pace of the fight.

The frustration was really annoying because if he really is a world class fighter, he should be taking the fight to his opponent and dominate the fight himself, not expecting his opponent to be a punching bag who will stand in front of his punches. Thats why I like fighters like GSP (not because hes Canadian at all, its fighting, who gives a crap where their from? :S). GSP is comfortable taking the fight anywhere, and looks to make his opponents make mistakes, instead of waiting for them.

I think Leites fought the fight he needed to in order to have any chance to win, his downfall was that he didn't open up the fight with leg kicks to weaken Silva's takedown defense, and when he had him down he should of put in some work on the ground and pound to wear him out a little bit more. I was actually sort of happy that was his gameplan because it showed discipline and the smarts to understand how to beat Silva.

I wanna see Maia get a shot now because I think if he can pull guard hes got a good chance of submitting Anderson, they just gotta make sure Silva doesn't take that pre-fight vaseline off his face and rub his body down again :|

Edited by Big G

I like him too. I don't even care that he lathers himself with Vaseline ;) But if you are liking him for being humble. I ask you "have you ever heard Fedor trash talk anyone or ever not been completely humble?"

:D

2cdiuj8.gif

from the fox sports fedor bio ;)

I agree with you completely, except I would probably say that I blame Anderson Silva 85%..

I've never been a fan of counter punchers like Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell and last night shows why; during the entire fight with all the antics, stupidity and showing his frustration, I was getting upset at him and not Leites. I think Machida belongs in a different kind of counter punch category because his style is a little bit different, I actually appreciate how he jumps in and out and takes very little damage. I think the difference is that he selectively applies pressure to force mistakes, whereas Anderson Silva waits for his opponents to stalk towards him and relies on his opponent to dictate the pace of the fight.

The frustration was really annoying because if he really is a world class fighter, he should be taking the fight to his opponent and dominate the fight himself, not expecting his opponent to be a punching bag who will stand in front of his punches. Thats why I like fighters like GSP (not because hes Canadian at all, its fighting, who gives a crap where their from? :S). GSP is comfortable taking the fight anywhere, and looks to make his opponents make mistakes, instead of waiting for them.

I think Leites fought the fight he needed to in order to have any chance to win, his downfall was that he didn't open up the fight with leg kicks to weaken Silva's takedown defense, and when he had him down he should of put in some work on the ground and pound to wear him out a little bit more. I was actually sort of happy that was his gameplan because it showed discipline and the smarts to understand how to beat Silva.

I wanna see Maia get a shot now because I think if he can pull guard hes got a good chance of submitting Anderson, they just gotta make sure Silva doesn't take that pre-fight vaseline off his face and rub his body down again :|

great post. You should comment more in the ufc section B)

haha yeah. Zuffa just took down the greasing video down from youtube because they didnt want it to hurt anderson silvas reputation... yet they put on ufc 94 on spike tv and advertised the gsp vaseline. Dana really loves anderson...

vdzn2w_medium.gif

I am just waiting for the news to come out that the UFC is fixed :lol:

*Puts on Flame Shield* *Runs*

*runs after mugpot!*

2cdiuj8.gif

from the fox sports fedor bio ;)

great post. You should comment more in the ufc section B)

haha yeah. Zuffa just took down the greasing video down from youtube because they didnt want it to hurt anderson silvas reputation... yet they put on ufc 94 on spike tv and advertised the gsp vaseline. Dana really loves anderson...

vdzn2w_medium.gif

*runs after mugpot!*

Thanks.. and I didn't know they took that down off youtube, haha.. and I agree, it was pretty blatant how they were promo'ing the GSP vs BJ fight on Spike as a scandal and now they take down Anderson Silva's self-greasing, pretty lame...

I think it has more to do with the fact that Dana is stuck between a rock and a hard place with a fighter he can't do anything to promote..

basically he has to protect Silva and proclaim him the P4P champ because he can't draw big ppv numbers, and it hurts even more that Silva doesn't seem to care much about imposing his will if his opponent doesn't hand it to him on a platter.

I've been pretty disappointed with the last few Anderson Silva fights, it's getting a little ridiculous. Yesterday was garbage, the Cote fight also was very weak, even before Cote got hurt, and the Henderson fight sucked too. I think I'm going to stop bothering to watch this guy unless he's up vs GSP.

But the whole card was lousy yesterday, except maybe for seeing Iceman get KTFO.

Worst part about the main card was having that boring TUF guy Kyrstoff fight, for whatever reason instead of the likes of Jason McDonald/Nate Quarry, Denis Kang, or even David Loiseau. Hell, the fight of the night was Stout/Wiman (which I still think Wiman won). They need to stop worrying about promoting TUF guys (especially ones that didn't win), and worry about showing a card people wanna see.

And what's the deal with guys not winning TUF and yet still get a contract? It's almost as if you don't have to even win and you'll eventually get signed. Look at chris Leben for example.

Worst part about the main card was having that boring TUF guy Kyrstoff fight, for whatever reason instead of the likes of Jason McDonald/Nate Quarry, Denis Kang, or even David Loiseau. Hell, the fight of the night was Stout/Wiman (which I still think Wiman won). They need to stop worrying about promoting TUF guys (especially ones that didn't win), and worry about showing a card people wanna see.

And what's the deal with guys not winning TUF and yet still get a contract? It's almost as if you don't have to even win and you'll eventually get signed. Look at chris Leben for example.

your an idiot, chris leben is a crowd pleaser. he knocks people out or he puts up a good fight, hellava chin. as for others that didnt win and get a contract, their in ther cause they have potential and their not making the same money as the TUF winners.

your an idiot, chris leben is a crowd pleaser. he knocks people out or he puts up a good fight, hellava chin. as for others that didnt win and get a contract, their in ther cause they have potential and their not making the same money as the TUF winners.

You kinda missed my point all together. Idiot.

You kinda missed my point all together. Idiot.

You are so right. Tuffers are tuffers. If people want to watch tuffers then let them watch them on the tuf show. Don't be putting them on the cards. This is what makes the UFC look so bush league. Dana white is so busy trying to make more cards that he is willing to dilute the product to do so. He should really be looking for ways to make cross promotional fights rather than making us watch substandard fighters. There is plenty of good fighters out there. But Dana's personal glory get's in the way of doing what is best for the sport.

yeah i agree I was hoping the Denis Kang fight would air

i watched it online through the korean people covering it. Here is the video:

It was a very entertaining fight!!

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/2009/04/1...m-video-ufc-97/

Wow, the only good fight on that card was Wiman & Stout.

BORING....

Question (it's a girly one, sorry) Does anyone know what Matt Wiman's entrance song was???

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...19004353AAeKmVA

someone answered:

Flyleaf - "Red Sam"

I dont remember the song at all so i dont know if this is the right answer or someone lied in the answer.