The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Apparently Alves cut from 205 to 171 in 5 days. That's ridiculous. Dana said he'd like him at 185 at the post fight conference. Give Sonnen a match against someone and give Silva Belfort. If they both win, set up the rematch. Everyone wants to see them go at it again. I kinda wish Jake Shields was coming in at 185.

Edited by Innovative

Dominating someone for 4 rounds and then quitting is not grounds for a rematch. This is not a situation like was had with Shogun and Machida where Shogun kicked donkey and then the judge took the win away from him. Sonnen couldn't last the 30 seconds he needed to win the fight. He gave up.

Its really debatable, no one in my mind deserves a title shot besides Okami. Nate had his and got destroyed, and then got destroyed by Chael for the Number one conteder shot. Mia needs to string together a few wins, Belfort hasn't even fought at 185 in the UFC so i dont know why they wanna give him a title shot so bad. Chael beat the crap out of Anderson the supposed "P4P" best mixed martial arts fighter for 23 minutes, so I wouldn't be appauled by him getting a rematch. But I think it might be better if he won another fight before geting a rematch. Meanwhile Anderson can fight joe nobody in the 205 division.

this should be a no Brainer. Vitor belfort. Then if I'm joe silva I want thiago alves at 185 he can't cut to 170 anymore and he would be very intresting at 185

Their are alot of big guys at 185. Alves is just to short and has a really short reach to compete at 185. The guy needs to lay of the heavy lifting and lose some muscle and stay at 170.

Dominating someone for 4 rounds and then quitting is not grounds for a rematch. This is not a situation like was had with Shogun and Machida where Shogun kicked donkey and then the judge took the win away from him. Sonnen couldn't last the 30 seconds he needed to win the fight. He gave up.

He got caught in a submission. You have to give him credit for the fact that he blocked every other submission attempt. He was bound to get caught in one, and sadly when it happened he lost. Submitting is not "giving uo" it is accepting the fact you got caught and you lost the fight. Why not a rematch? Chael deserved. He is the only guy right now who came close to beating Anderson.

He got caught in a submission. You have to give him credit for the fact that he blocked every other submission attempt. He was bound to get caught in one, and sadly when it happened he lost. Submitting is not "giving uo" it is accepting the fact you got caught and you lost the fight. Why not a rematch? Chael deserved. He is the only guy right now who came close to beating Anderson.

I give him credit. The guy did everything but win in the fight. In the end though hat is what separates the champions from the talkers. When the money was on the line. He just didn't do it.

• Upvote 1

that silva fight was FISHY in my opinion. watch his past fights, especially Griffen, and tell me that was the same guy. he just stands there and lets chael punch him at will? he just lays on the ground and doesn't try anything. he's got long powerful legs and lets chael break out of a body triangle with no effort? that was a weirdazz fight....

Edited by ownzah ownzah

I can't believe people are really questioning who gonna fight Silva next. I don't think Sonnen is gonna get an immediate rematch but he will be back.

Vitor is obviously gonna be Silva's next opponent since he was told before the fight he would face the winner of it. The only reason their are questions now is cause Sonnen shocked the world.

But does anybody agree that if GSP was able to put on enough weight and fight Silva at 185 he might just walk through him?

I give him credit. The guy did everything but win in the fight. In the end though hat is what separates the champions from the talkers. When the money was on the line. He just didn't do it.

Pretty much, Anderson has a heart of a champion and chael should be extremley proud of himself. He pretty much backed up everything he said but came up a little short.

I can't believe people are really questioning who gonna fight Silva next. I don't think Sonnen is gonna get an immediate rematch but he will be back.

Vitor is obviously gonna be Silva's next opponent since he was told before the fight he would face the winner of it. The only reason their are questions now is cause Sonnen shocked the world.

But does anybody agree that if GSP was able to put on enough weight and fight Silva at 185 he might just walk through him?

Vitor hasn't even fought a fight in the UFC at 185, as talented as he is, and I personally love his fights. He shouldnt get a title shot until he wins a match in the UFC at the middle weight division.

As for GSP, i've always felt he has the tools to beat him. His wrestling, top control and submission def. are top notch. I think he may have a harder time taking him down then Sonnen did because GSP tends to use his strikes to set up his takedowns rather then shoot for one immediatley.

Vitor hasn't even fought a fight in the UFC at 185, as talented as he is, and I personally love his fights. He shouldnt get a title shot until he wins a match in the UFC at the middle weight division.

Hey agree with you but Vitor was told by the UFC he would face the winner of Silva vs Sonnen and Vitor was actually supposed to fight Silva after the Maia fight but he had an injury.

Edited by MauricioShogunRua

As for GSP, i've always felt he has the tools to beat him. His wrestling, top control and submission def. are top notch. I think he may have a harder time taking him down then Sonnen did because GSP tends to use his strikes to set up his takedowns rather then shoot for one immediatley.

Belfort knocked out Rich Franklin who normally fights at Middleweight. Now, sure he hasn't fought at 185, but at the same time when Anderson cleans out the division, you throw in fighters who get a few impressive wins.

Hey agree with you but Vitor was told by the UFC he would face the winner of Silva vs Sonnen and Vitor was actually supposed to fight Silva after the Maia fight but he had an injury.

Exactly. End of discussion. Anderson will be fighting Vitor next guaranteed. And I have a feeling Anderson will murder him.

As much as I hate the guy, I was so freakin impressed with Matt Hughes. That was incredible. As was Nelson's ability to take some serious shots to the head!

And is anyone else sick of Guida? People say his fights are entertaining. I find them boring, watching him bounce around and pretty much do absolutely nothing standing up or on the ground.

Silva came into the fight with a recently broken rib of course he's not going to be 100%. Watch his entrance again and you will notice he winces several times. His doctor specifically told him NOT to fight yet he goes out there, takes a beating for 4 and a half rounds, and then finishes the fight in the fifth with a pretty sick submission. The guy has cleaned out the entire division and been the champ for 4 years straight, Belfot is not even going to come close to touching him. Silva in the fight vs Sonnen is Silva running at about 70% which says a huge amount about the guy that he's willing to go out there and keep the show going despite being told by a doctor not to. If you want the source go to UFC.com and listen to the post fight interviews.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN

Silva came into the fight with a recently broken rib of course he's not going to be 100%. Watch his entrance again and you will notice he winces several times. His doctor specifically told him NOT to fight yet he goes out there, takes a beating for 4 and a half rounds, and then finishes the fight in the fifth with a pretty sick submission. The guy has cleaned out the entire division and been the champ for 4 years straight, Belfot is not even going to come close to touching him. Silva in the fight vs Sonnen is Silva running at about 70% which says a huge amount about the guy that he's willing to go out there and keep the show going despite being told by a doctor not to. If you want the source go to UFC.com and listen to the post fight interviews.

I half agree. EVERY fighter goes into fights with some sort of an injury. No one is ever 100%. The only part I agree with is the fact that doctors said not to fight, which shows he went in when he shouldn't have, but Anderson was right himself, that is no excuse, no one is ever healthy and you either take the fight or you don't.

Ugh I can't believe Sonnen let that slip away :sadno:

Chael earned himself a instant rematch with that performance. He completely dominated Silva, but sadly, he got caught and that was the end.

I'm sure Sonnen will pull off a shogun and finish A.Silva early in the next fight.

Edited by CanucksHD

Ugh I can't believe Sonnen let that slip away :sadno:

Chael earned himself a instant rematch with that performance. He completely dominated Silva, but sadly, he got caught and that was the end.

I'm sure Sonnen will pull off a shogun and finish A.Silva early in the next fight.

Joe Rogan asked him if he wanted a rematch and he didn't even say yes. He said he got a silver medal and he was 2nd so he will reevaluate. :lol:

Joe Rogan asked him if he wanted a rematch and he didn't even say yes. He said he got a silver medal and he was 2nd so he will reevaluate. :lol:

It is almost one of those situations where you wonder if you can do it again. He is probably wondering if he is able to go and do all those rounds. Could have been a good day and now Silva won't underestimate him if he fights again.

Their are alot of big guys at 185. Alves is just to short and has a really short reach to compete at 185. The guy needs to lay of the heavy lifting and lose some muscle and stay at 170.

LOL he's not going to lose any muscle. And honestly MMA is in an era where reach doesn't decide fights. Alves is a huge threat to anybody, and when not training he walks around close to 205. There are a lot of guys with shorter reach at 185, so it wont really matter. I'd like to see an Alves/Silva fight one day, interesting match-up.

• 3 weeks later...