The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Anderson Silva vs. Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100?

It has been rumored that these two legends will fight in the 100th major event (discounting UFC Fight Nights). Will it really happen? Who will win?

Silva will definitely have the weight advantage and possibly the strength, but if St. Pierre stays quick on his feet and uses his kicks wisely he will be able to take Silva. Silva has yet to have any real competition, no one has been able to match his Muay Thai clench, but if Georges stays out of it he will win

St. Pierre and Silva are both very well-rounded and similar fighters, although Silva is better with his legs and GSP has the advantage on the ground. I have to give the edge to Silva. While his competition hasn't been as strong as GSP's, Silva has dominated who he has faced. It wasn't until his 8th UFC fight where someone finally took Anderson to a third round. The way I see Anderson loses this fight is if he comes in with the same approach he did against Cote. His head has to be in the fight or GSP will pick him to pieces.

Franklin and Henderson aren't real competition?

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/10/28/ufc-95-...on-february-21/

actually the rumour is that Anderson Silva will fight Chuck Liddell at UFC 95 on Feb 21 at the moment.

UFC 95 will take place in London on February 21st, and the main event could feature Chuck Liddell taking on Anderson Silva, according to a report from Fighters Only Magazine.

Fighters Only says the event has already been set for the O2 Arena, making it the third time the UFC has had a show there. There's no word on who will fight on the card, but Fighters Only mentions Silva and Liddell as possibilities. A Silva-Liddell fight has long been discussed, and with both fighters coming off disappointing performances, pairing them against each other would be a way of ensuring that at least one of the two stars gets back on track.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Aqvt...o&type=lgns

That’s why, after a little reflection and hearing a few sharp words from White, Silva decided he ought to apologize.

“I apologize,” Silva said. “I worked hard in training to go four or five rounds. I dropped from 230 pounds to 205 and then to 185. I worked my butt off. I had a long camp preparing for the fight. I owe you guys in the media, the fans and everyone an apology. I was prepared, but it’s unfortunate what happened.”

I think Chuck weighs around 225 as well before cutting. Finally he would fight a dude his same size/reach for once. Id like to see this fight more than silva/gsp. GSP is an actual welterweight. Dude is 5'10 walks around at 185. But it would have been better when Chuck was actually winning, then to fight him when the dude just got knocked the hell out.

Both Chuck and Anderson are 6'2. So none of that long reach jabbing to keep the person at bay. He would have to fight from the pocket for once. He should have been in Lightheavyweight all along actually. Its bizarre why he cuts so much weight to fight smaller guys at MW. Probably always wants a reach advantage.

Edited by Pfizer

Denis Kang is less than kind to Eastman :P

http://mmamania.com/2008/10/27/raw-combat-...-eastman-video/

hehe I think Dennis was kind annoyed by the fight too. Later he said that he trained 3 months for 48 second or something :D

seems Chuck vs Silva is not happening it seems..

Kevin Iole at Yahoo! Sports talks about the possibility of seeing Anderson Silva compete against Chuck Liddell at UFC 94 in January:

"“I think the fight for Silva is one against Liddell on Jan. 31 at UFC 94 in Las Vegas. UFC president Dana White has been lukewarm on it so far, but it would be a fun battle and it certainly would be a fight that would have Silva motivated…. [White] didn’t seem all that interested. I had talked with him about it in a private phone conversation about 10 days earlier and he was no more interested in it then. I’m not saying it won’t happen, just that Dana doesn’t seem enthused by the idea” "

UFC 92 list is out

Main card

* Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Flag of the United States Forrest Griffin vs Flag of the United States Rashad Evans

* Interim Heavyweight Championship bout: Flag of Brazil Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Flag of the United States Frank Mir

* Middleweight bout: Flag of the United States C.B. Dollaway vs. Flag of the United States Mike Massenzio

* Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United States Quinton Jackson vs Flag of Brazil Wanderlei Silva

* Heavyweight bout: Flag of France Cheick Kongo vs. Flag of the United Kingdom Mustafa Al-Turk

[edit] Preliminary card

* Middleweight bout: Flag of Japan Yushin Okami vs. Flag of the United States Dean Lister

* Heavyweight bout: Flag of the Netherlands Antoni Hardonk vs. Flag of the United States Mark Burch

* Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United States Matt Hamill vs. Flag of the United States Reese Andy

* Welterweight bout: Flag of the United States Brad Blackburn vs. Flag of Japan Ryo Chonan

* Heavyweight bout: Flag of Norway Dan Evensen vs. Flag of the United States Pat Barry[5]

Are they serious? Putting Okami on the undercard. This is a guy that is suppose to be top contender in the middleweight division and they are not even televising his fight? It got bumped off for someone on the ultimate fighter??? outraaaaage!

hehe I think Dennis was kind annoyed by the fight too. Later he said that he trained 3 months for 48 second or something :D

seems Chuck vs Silva is not happening it seems..

UFC 92 list is out

Are they serious? Putting Okami on the undercard. This is a guy that is suppose to be top contender in the middleweight division and they are not even televising his fight? It got bumped off for someone on the ultimate fighter??? outraaaaage!

It's all marketing, they're hoping to groom Dolloway to be a big time highlight fighter in the US. Personally, I think it's horse manure. As much as I like watching guys develop in to great MMA players I'd still rather see the guys who are at the top of their game now. Look at Fitch, the casual fan barely knew who he was before he stoically took it on the chin from GSP.

Then again, it was amusing watching that fight with a bunch of guys who were dumbfounded by this "Fitch kid" whilst I was rattling off a list of who he's fought and what a fan I was. I'll take my moments of smug superiority when I can get them ;)

As for Dolloway, I'm a bit of a homer when it comes to watching the TuF show. I didn't like the guy and therefore don't think he's worthy of a prime time shot yet :P

YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!! B) B)

Denis Kang Signs with UFC

Canadian middleweight Denis Kang has confirmed to Sherdog.com that he has signed a four-fight contract with the UFC. One of the world’s most coveted free agents, Kang said that he has dreamt of fighting in the sport’s top organization for a long time.

“Do you want to hear a funny story?” asked Kang. “Back in 1995-96 I was telling all of my friends that I’d be fighting in the UFC within a year. I don’t want to say that anybody could get in the UFC back then, but it was more what kind of martial art you did instead of your record.”

Kang notes that the UFC and the sport have evolved substantially since his high school days, but he feels he has the goods to make a dent in the promotion.

Kang (31-10-1 is coming off of a brutally quick TKO victory over Marvin Eastman at RAW Combat on Oct. 125 in Calgary, Alberta, and once went three years and 23 fights without losing.

When Kang fought in Pride Fighting Championships there was one thing that he envied about his friends who fought in the UFC.

“When I was fighting in Pride I was proud to be a Pride fighter and I loved it,” recalled Kang. “I felt like I was really part of the Pride family, but the only thing I envied the UFC fighters was that people could watch them live and go to their fights. I can tell you that if I hadn’t been fighting for Pride, the UFC would have been my other choice.”

Now that choice has come to fruition and Kang is ecstatic.

“It feels great man,” said Kang. “It’s brought me a new level of focus and motivation even higher because now I know I’ve got some work to do. It reminds me of when I first signed with a big league in Japan -– I was like this is serious now and I’ve got to get my crap together.”

Kang said that he has told the UFC he will be ready for inclusion on one of their fight cards in January, and if he had his druthers he’d love to be on the UFC 94 Super Bowl weekend roster on Jan. 31 alongside friend and training partner Georges St. Pierre, who will be taking on nemesis B.J. Penn.

Kang will be leaving for Montreal on Wednesday to continue training with St. Pierre and strength and conditioning coach Jonathan Chaimberg. Other than a brief Christmas visit to Vancouver, he’ll remain in Montreal until UFC 94.

Kang joins a deep pool of middleweight contenders, many of which have already tried and failed to unseat champion Anderson Silva from his throne.

With so many possible opponents to face, Kang says politically that he doesn’t care who his first foe will be, but he knows who he doesn’t want it to be –- friend and former training partner Jason MacDonald.

“Oh man, I hope it’s not Jay-Mac,” said Kang. “He’s one of my good buddies and we’ve been training partners. I hope that we meet later on in the rankings if we even meet at all.”

Facing Silva is a different story though.

“I think that I’ve got everything that it takes,” said Kang. “He’s on fire right now and he’s awesome, but I think that I can rise to the challenge and I definitely want a crack at being the champion of the UFC –- that would be a huge honor for me.”

Kang will need to get cracking out of the gate. Silva has publicly stated he will retire from competition after his five remaining fights on his UFC contract are completed. Kang is not worried.

“I’ve got five left to get at him,” he said.

Vancouver represent!!!!!! Finally a good fighter in the middleweight division that isnt overhyped from The Ultimate Fighter.

That's pretty awesome, I know a couple guys that trained with Kang in Vancouver. I'm sure he'll represent BC better than that POS Kaleb Starnes.

In other news: Just saw on TV that Chris Leben has been suspended for testing positive for steroids.

Just a head's up, WEC live on TSN2 tonight at 5pm. Urijah Faber defending his title, Paulo Filho (who didn't make weight) is fighting as well, and also Jens Pulver is on the card.

^thanks for the heads up panda. i was thinking it was on at 6-7 ufc style.

Paulo Filho was 7 pounds overweight.. haha he didnt even try..

so now its a 3 round non title fight. Looks like he did this on purpose so he could take the title to UFC when that division is merged into the UFC.

He should be stripped of the title though because this was not fair to his opponent.

Weigh in pics here

http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/view_a...1343&page=1

Nice to hear a local guy has signed with the UFC.

So what's the deal with the Penn/GSP fight? I thought they were going to schedule it for the event in Feb before the Super Bowl. I really wanna see GSP kick in Penn's fat head.

in a recent interview GSP said that BJ has some holes in his game that he wants to exploit.

seems BJ took that as an insult and is taking a few pot shots at GSP at the end, saying he doesn't need to wear fancy clothes or try to be professional like GSP.

I like it. BJ always talks trash but no one delivers it back. I like GSP giving that subtle shot. I think it was an interview from Brazil in that one.

http://www.themmanews.com/?p=2068

The Year-End PPV is gonna be DOPE.

Mir/Nog

Forrest/Evans

W.Silva/Rampage

The GSP/Penn Fight is a go for Super Bowl Weekend

I know that card is crazy!

and I hope Rampage can win this time against Silva

Superbowl weekends gonna be a huuuuge week. I want GSP to shut Blowjob Penn up.