The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Damn, I love to support the bad guy. Penn isn't vanilla like a lot of other fighters. I really hope Penn takes this fight. I don't by any means think he will, so I don't need a bunch of "I told you so's" in the likely event that GSP wins. I DO believe GSP wins this fight, but I also wouldn't count Penn out.

Edited by Oranje_1986

Here's an interesting breakdown of both GSP's and Penn's attributes heading into the fight.

GSP VS Penn

In two weeks we'll see two of the world's best fighters settle a rivalry for the ages. To be honest. I think the ultimate fight for pound for pound supremacy would be between GSP and Silva. But this fight is close enough, and is also built off the controversy of a very close split decision victory for GSP, which I agreed with.

I don't need to get too heavy in all of the glowing words of how amazing this fight is going to be. If you watched UFC Primetime you'll definitely get enough of that (isn't UFC Primetime great? My favourite part was seeing GSP walk through the club to that French Hiphop music. Montreal looks like a wicked place to party).

But what I want to do this week in Split Decision is analyze how these two prototypical fighters stack up in each facet of the game. One of these fighters will be one step closer to being known as the best fighter on the planet. We'll settle it right here at Split Decision.

Striking

This is a close category. BJ Penn uses boxing while GSP uses muay thai and a bit of karate. If you remember their first fight, in the first round, BJ destroyed GSP standing. He was quicker to the punch, especially with the jab, and also was able to work the body very well.

GSP is the more dynamic striker of the two, because he uses his hands, knees and kicks. He's also great at throwing those flashy strikes like superman punches, spinning back kicks, spinning elbows, etc that could catch BJ sleeping if he's not careful. But with BJ's accuracy, power, and technical supremacy in his boxing skills. I think he has the edge in the stand up game.

Striking Edge - BJ Penn

Wrestling

This is an obvious category for GSP. GSP has developed himself to be pound for pound the best wrestler in the UFC, which is amazing since he has no amateur wrestling experience. He just trains with the best wrestlers and Olympic caliber wrestlers in Canada to hone his skills. That plus his amazing athleticism and explosiveness make him a nightmare in the wrestling department.

However, what BJ has to counter this is an amazing ability to get up once taken down. He can stand up just using one leg while the other leg is being held. He also has decent takedown defence but I don't think that is going deter the majority of GSP's take down attempts. GSP is too explosive and powerful to be denied in his takedowns.

The Wrestling Edge - GSP

Clinch

I don't expect to see much of the clinch game in this fight. Neither fighter is known for their clinch work. Having said that, GSP, who I think is going to come in as the bigger, stronger, fighter should control the clinch game along the fence, work his knees in a bit and go for the takedown.

Clinching Edge – GSP

Submissions

Most people will automatically give this category to BJ Penn. But I am not that quick. Although GSP doesn't have some of the accolades in BJJ that Penn has like World Jiu-Jitsu champion, he is well versed in BJJ, with a black belt under Bruno Fernandes, 4 time BJJ World Champion. GSP also trains with some of the best BJJ practitioners in Brazil. We've seen how quick and smooth his transitions from different submission moves are in his last victory over Matt Hughes.

I would still give the edge to BJ in the submission game because he has all of the attributes that GSP has on the ground, plus he is amazingly flexible. He can control his leg like it's another arm. One great example of this was when he was facing Jens Pulver and had Jens' back. He was able to trap one of Jens' arms with his leg, making it easy for Penn to get the choke.

Submissions Edge – BJ Penn

Physical Attributes

GSP is coming in with a size advantage, being the taller fighter. I never seen them bench press or anything but I think it's safe to say that GSP is going to come in with the strength and power advantage based on his wrestling domination. If any of you disagree, let me know why. Speed is a tough one to decide, both are extremely athletic. But if you go by the last fight, Penn consistently was able to beat GSP to the punch.

Conditioning will go to GSP, although Penn has rededicated his training to make sure he doesn't gas like he has been known to do. Still, I trust that GSP can go hard for 5 rounds and is preparing for this fight like it's his last.

Physical Edge: Size – GSP, Strength – GSP, Speed – Penn, Conditioning - GSP

http://www.411mania.com/MMA/columns/94741/...-the-Edge?-.htm

Damn, I love to support the bad guy. Penn isn't vanilla like a lot of other fighters. I really hope Penn takes this fight. I don't by any means think he will, so I don't need a bunch of "I told you so's" in the likely event that GSP wins. I DO believe GSP wins this fight, but I also wouldn't count Penn out.

I like your thinking! ;)

Really though, I actually really used to like BJ. I can't stand his attitude and disrespect though. I'm sorry, but continuously calling your opponent a "biatch" and saying "Im gonna try and kill you".... I dunno. Show just a bit of class maybe?? But that's not BJ.

Spoiled lil rich brat who cried his way into this fight. It's straight outta the movies. I hope GSP seriously puts him in his place.

Don't think I've ever been this nervous about a fight before. In my mind, I know GSP can win. But the way things have been going lately for my "picks", ya never know.

And that pre-show they keep showing is annoying. Hearing BJ say "I'm gonna try and kill you" and "Georges.... don't pi$$ me off, Georges...." makes me so friggin angry. Such a tard.

I hear you, I don't want to say what I've been thinknig in fear of jinxing it but I'm still more than confident GSP will make him look foolish by the time the fights over

BJ now saying GSP takes steroids and that his trainer should go F himself.

UFC Quick Quote: BJ Penn surprised that Georges ‘Hamburglar’ St. Pierre isn’t using steroids

By: Jesse Holland

"It’s surprising that he’s in such good shape without the use of steroids or growth hormones, he’s eating cheeseburgers and all that. (GSP trainer) Firas [Zahabi], after the fight, he can go home, walk to his bedroom, take his shoes off, lie down in his bed, take about 20 or 30 minutes and go frack himself."

UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn has some very unkind words for Georges St. Pierre and trainer Firas Zahabi on Sirius Satellite’s Hardcore Sports Radio following the debacle that has become the ‘reality’ behind the Spike TV production “UFC Primetime,” which is a $1.7 million three-part promotional series for his upcoming super fight against ‘Rush’ at UFC 94 on January 31. Just when you thought these two couldn’t generate any more heat prior to next Saturday’s epic battle, Mr. Penn delivers.

stay classy bj. :lol:

edit: source http://mmamania.com/2009/01/24/ufc-quick-q...using-steroids/

Edited by Pfizer

Yah, just read about that.

What can you say? He's trying to hype this up more than it needs to be. Any fan wants to see this. All this is just so unnecessary. And if GSP wins, he's gonna look like a moron.

Question, apparently there's only one pub in Vancouver showing the Affliction PPV tonite. They bought the rights or something like that. Anyone know if this is true or which pub it is?

What can you say? He's trying to hype this up more than it needs to be. Any fan wants to see this. All this is just so unnecessary. And if GSP wins, he's gonna look like a moron.

Question, apparently there's only one pub in Vancouver showing the Affliction PPV tonite. They bought the rights or something like that. Anyone know if this is true or which pub it is?

CECIL SHOWLOUNGE VANCOUVER BRTISH COLUMBIA

DOVER ARMS VANCOUVER BRTISH COLUMBIA 604-683-1929

FOUR MILE PUB VICTORIA BRTISH COLUMBIA 250-479-2514

MOUNTAIN SHADOW BURNABY BRTISH COLUMBIA 604-291-9322

POGUE MAHONE KAAMLOOPS BRTISH COLUMBIA 250-376-4397

ROO'S PUB AND GRILL COQUITLAM BRTISH COLUMBIA

SCHANKS SPORTS GRILL NEW WESTMINSTER BRTISH COLUMBIA 604-314-3313

THE CELLAR NIGHTCLUB VANCOUVER BRTISH COLUMBIA 604-6054345

THE MORRISSEY VANCOUVER BRTISH COLUMBIA 604-6820909

WOODY'S ON BRUNETTE COQUITLAM BRTISH COLUMBIA 604-526-1718

Edited by Harbinger

Yeah its unnecessary. The fight sells itself.

When (lets hope heh) BJ loses hes going to look like a whiner. He lives up to his name Baby J.

Yeah its unnecessary. The fight sells itself.

When (lets hope heh) BJ loses hes going to look like a whiner. He lives up to his name Baby J.

by making that accusation he is setting up an excuse for the outcome of the fight.

if he loses, people will question if gsp used illegal means.

if he wins, his feat was even greater due to him being 'clean'.

if i were gsp, i'd sue for libel and shut that idiot up.

today is Affliction 2 : Day of Reckoning

just though id throw this out there for the casual mma fan that only watches UFC.

affliction-day-of-reckoning-poster.jpg

PPV matches

* WAMMA Heavyweight Championship bout: Flag of Russia Fedor Emelianenko (Champ)[7] vs. Flag of Belarus Andrei Arlovski (#2)[7]

* Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United States Josh Barnett (#3)[7] vs. Flag of the Netherlands Gilbert Yvel

* Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of Brazil Renato Sobral (#15)[7] vs. Flag of Cameroon Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou

* Middleweight bout: Flag of the United States Matt Lindland (#6)[7] vs. Flag of Brazil Vitor Belfort

* Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United States Paul Buentello vs. Flag of Russia Kirill Sidelnikov

* Lightweight bout: Flag of the United States Dan Lauzon vs. Flag of the United States Bobby Green

[edit] HDNet matches

* Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of Belarus Vladimir Matyushenko (#13)[7] vs. Flag of Brazil Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (#12)[7]

* Welterweight bout: Flag of the United States Jay Hieron (#13)[7] vs. Flag of the United States Jason High

* Featherweight bout: Flag of the United States Bao Quach vs. Flag of the United States LC Davis

* Featherweight bout: Flag of the United States Albert Rios vs. Flag of Mexico Antonio Duarte

* Welterweight bout: Flag of the United States Brett Cooper vs. Flag of the United States Patrick Speight

Really, would anyone at all be surprised to find out GSP was on roids? Not me.

I would. Hes not really a big guy. Hes only 5'10 180 pounds. If you go to a local gym you will see lots of guys cut up as him. Tons of guys in the NHL, NFL other sports are much much bigger than him. If Georges was 6'2 250 pounds of muscle then yeah, but hes too small to seem like he is on roids.

Plus he wins fights with technique. If he had crazy KO power he should have knocked out Jon Fitch a lot earlier than it did end.

BJ is a chubby guy. Compared to him the Pillsbury Doughboy looks like hes taking steroids.

today is Affliction 2 : Day of Reckoning

just though id throw this out there for the casual mma fan that only watches UFC.

affliction-day-of-reckoning-poster.jpg

PPV matches

* WAMMA Heavyweight Championship bout: Flag of Russia Fedor Emelianenko (Champ)[7] vs. Flag of Belarus Andrei Arlovski (#2)[7]

* Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United States Josh Barnett (#3)[7] vs. Flag of the Netherlands Gilbert Yvel

* Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of Brazil Renato Sobral (#15)[7] vs. Flag of Cameroon Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou

* Middleweight bout: Flag of the United States Matt Lindland (#6)[7] vs. Flag of Brazil Vitor Belfort

* Heavyweight bout: Flag of the United States Paul Buentello vs. Flag of Russia Kirill Sidelnikov

* Lightweight bout: Flag of the United States Dan Lauzon vs. Flag of the United States Bobby Green

[edit] HDNet matches

* Light Heavyweight bout: Flag of Belarus Vladimir Matyushenko (#13)[7] vs. Flag of Brazil Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (#12)[7]

* Welterweight bout: Flag of the United States Jay Hieron (#13)[7] vs. Flag of the United States Jason High

* Featherweight bout: Flag of the United States Bao Quach vs. Flag of the United States LC Davis

* Featherweight bout: Flag of the United States Albert Rios vs. Flag of Mexico Antonio Duarte

* Welterweight bout: Flag of the United States Brett Cooper vs. Flag of the United States Patrick Speight

I would. Hes not really a big guy. Hes only 5'10 180 pounds. If you go to a local gym you will see lots of guys cut up as him. Tons of guys in the NHL, NFL other sports are much much bigger than him. If Georges was 6'2 250 pounds of muscle then yeah, but hes too small to seem like he is on roids.

Plus he wins fights with technique. If he had crazy KO power he should have knocked out Jon Fitch a lot earlier than it did end.

BJ is a chubby guy. Compared to him the Pillsbury Doughboy looks like hes taking steroids.

If I remember correctly he walks around at around 205 Drops to about 15 lb's over and above his weight class and cuts over 15 lb's a week before weigh ins. I know so many people who do roids. So it really wouldn't surprise me. There are all kinds of roids. Each do different things. I saw a list of roids a friend of mine had and it was half a page long. He starts off with. What do you want to look like, We'll make a regimen to fit that.

If I remember correctly he walks around at around 205 Drops to about 15 lb's over and above his weight class and cuts over 15 lb's a week before weigh ins. I know so many people who do roids. So it really wouldn't surprise me. There are all kinds of roids. Each do different things. I saw a list of roids a friend of mine had and it was half a page long. He starts off with. What do you want to look like, We'll make a regimen to fit that.

GSP walks around at 185 normally. He said now its at about 189. He doesnt go above that. Hes always at training weight. Earlier in his career he walked around at 180.

Jon Fitch walks around at 205 so does Kos.

But the thing is what if everyone took steroids? If we dont have proof we dont know. Maybe BJ takes steroids too right? Thats why his punches are harder. And theres been talks he takes weed.

maybe hes high here when he was younger or drunk? :lol:

Edited by Pfizer