The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

EDMONTON — It was colder in Edmonton Sunday than anywhere else in North America.

Environment Canada recorded a bone-chilling -46.1 C — or -58.4 with wind chill — at the Edmonton International Airport at 5 a.m., said Environment Canada meteorologist Pierre Lessard.

The temperature shattered the northern Alberta city's previous Dec. 13 cold record of -36.1 C, which was set last year.

"To break a temperature by 10 degrees is very exceptional," said Lessard.

A ridge of frigid Arctic air hit all the Prairie provinces over the weekend, causing record-low temperatures in many parts of northern Alberta, Lessard said.

No wonder Heatley didn't want to go there.

• Upvote 1

Aren't these things just going to blow the snow on top of people's cars?

No. What will happen is Vancouver will ban curbside parking during a snow event. But given the size of Vancouver side streets I don't get why they have one of those. All you could hope to do is cut a swath down the middle of a street. And really get to what? Half of the side streets?

In Kitimat they have a fleet of something like 10 of those things for a town that ever maxed out a population of 12,000. The town is planned with Cul-de-Sacs and cresent streets. A grader startes at the top of a crecent and around the cul-de-sac then back up the other side of the cresent. Shortly behind that comes the snow blower and it blows the snow onto the lawns on the street.

They also have a fleet of close to 20 sidewalk tractors that can be outfitted with a plow blade or a snow blower attachment depending on how much snow fell overnight. Once they clear a side walk shortly behind it will come a pick-up truck and spread a salt/sand mix. Keep in mind there is almost double the amount of sidewalk in this town KM wise than road. But during the winter some of the sidewalks don't get cleared. Like the one behind my parents house. X-country skiing just out your back door!

They also have about 10 of those big plow/sand trucks for the major streets. No town on earth clears more snow.

No. What will happen is Vancouver will ban curbside parking during a snow event. But given the size of Vancouver side streets I don't get why they have one of those. All you could hope to do is cut a swath down the middle of a street. And really get to what? Half of the side streets?

In Kitimat they have a fleet of something like 10 of those things for a town that ever maxed out a population of 12,000. The town is planned with Cul-de-Sacs and cresent streets. A grader startes at the top of a crecent and around the cul-de-sac then back up the other side of the cresent. Shortly behind that comes the snow blower and it blows the snow onto the lawns on the street.

They also have a fleet of close to 20 sidewalk tractors that can be outfitted with a plow blade or a snow blower attachment depending on how much snow fell overnight. Once they clear a side walk shortly behind it will come a pick-up truck and spread a salt/sand mix. Keep in mind there is almost double the amount of sidewalk in this town KM wise than road. But during the winter some of the sidewalks don't get cleared. Like the one behind my parents house. X-country skiing just out your back door!

They also have about 10 of those big plow/sand trucks for the major streets. No town on earth clears more snow.

In a pinch I think you can hook up a salter/sander to one of those sidewalk tractors. How is it that kitimat can afford these things but good luck finding a cleared sidewalk in Vancouver (or burnaby, or....). I am suprised that kitimat had 20 though, were they clearing all the residential sidewalks too?

In a pinch I think you can hook up a salter/sander to one of those sidewalk tractors. How is it that kitimat can afford these things but good luck finding a cleared sidewalk in Vancouver (or burnaby, or....). I am suprised that kitimat had 20 though, were they clearing all the residential sidewalks too?

Well they have so many because their budget for snow removal IIRC is greater than Vancouver, BBY and New West combined. You can also hook up a sweeper brush to it as well as a mower attachment too so you get double duty out of them. But any sidewalk that runs along a bus route is cleared. There aren't too many sidewalks along residential blocks. With the volume of traffic it is safe enough to just walk on the side of the road. The roads are wide. with a car parked on one side a grader can still get down the street to plow. But only fools do that because your car could be up to the door handles. That and the blocks aren't that big. If you look at this map: http://www.kitimat.ca/assets/Residents/PDFs/map-of-kitimat.pdf

Behind Gannet Cres there is a side walk behind it with a green belt/drainage creek (about 40' from sidewalk down to creek) that Drake, Egale, Egret and Fulmar St back onto. The sidewalk goes from Cormorant St. all the way to Nalabila Blvd. That and other sidewalks that are in behind a block on a green belt don't get plowed. Its a really pretty walk though on a summer evening. Often times see foxes and deer. Later in the evening bears and moose. They use it to transit town to get across Lahakas Blvd. to another green belt then to the river. But there are other sidewalks that will get you to where you are going that maybe aren't quite as direct.

Part of the side walk salt/sand crews job is also to dig out the fire hydrants. Every fall, city crews go out and mark them with 10' 2x4's that are painted red at the top. It isn't uncommon to have 7-10' of snow on your front yard.

You really have to see it to understand fully. All lower mainland people should have to spend a winter there so they can stop acting like 5cm of snow is the end of the earth. Try having to shovel your roof 2 times in one season. Or how about 2 weeks straight of 20cm/day. Give me snow over rain any day of the week. Wth snow you can throw on your boots and coat and go for a walk without getting wet.

Yes, but it is a dry cold!

My wifes sister and husband live in Edmonton. He said the other day he forgot the block heater. Thankfully his batter has 1000 cranking amps and she JUST turned over.

It's a dry cold allright, anything wet freezes and is on the ground. Now if we could only get two weeks of that in BC and we could kiss the pine beatles good-bye.

Oh, and it doesn't matter if your going to the rodeo or not, you do care when it's -40.

Well they have so many because their budget for snow removal IIRC is greater than Vancouver, BBY and New West combined. You can also hook up a sweeper brush to it as well as a mower attachment too so you get double duty out of them. But any sidewalk that runs along a bus route is cleared. There aren't too many sidewalks along residential blocks. With the volume of traffic it is safe enough to just walk on the side of the road. The roads are wide. with a car parked on one side a grader can still get down the street to plow. But only fools do that because your car could be up to the door handles. That and the blocks aren't that big. If you look at this map: http://www.kitimat.ca/assets/Residents/PDFs/map-of-kitimat.pdf

Behind Gannet Cres there is a side walk behind it with a green belt/drainage creek (about 40' from sidewalk down to creek) that Drake, Egale, Egret and Fulmar St back onto. The sidewalk goes from Cormorant St. all the way to Nalabila Blvd. That and other sidewalks that are in behind a block on a green belt don't get plowed. Its a really pretty walk though on a summer evening. Often times see foxes and deer. Later in the evening bears and moose. They use it to transit town to get across Lahakas Blvd. to another green belt then to the river. But there are other sidewalks that will get you to where you are going that maybe aren't quite as direct.

Part of the side walk salt/sand crews job is also to dig out the fire hydrants. Every fall, city crews go out and mark them with 10' 2x4's that are painted red at the top. It isn't uncommon to have 7-10' of snow on your front yard.

You really have to see it to understand fully. All lower mainland people should have to spend a winter there so they can stop acting like 5cm of snow is the end of the earth. Try having to shovel your roof 2 times in one season. Or how about 2 weeks straight of 20cm/day. Give me snow over rain any day of the week. Wth snow you can throw on your boots and coat and go for a walk without getting wet.

Wow, that sounds dangerous. I thought you made the roofs steep enough for it to fall off on it's own, so the only danger is getting crushed by ice walking along the side of the house?

Snow wouldn't be the end of the earth in Vancouver if they for example made a point of at least matching the snow removal effort of kitimat.

And yes, all that sidewalk equipment can be equiped to mow the parks and sweep the sidewalks in the summer. The value for money on such a purchase would be staggering. Plus you get some union jobs even a guy like me could justify.

You deserve a +1, good sir :lol:

O pea, your pea looks like its smoking a fattie. You should change it to a christmas theme! I love your pea!

Its snowing here in Nanaimo again. Very little tho, but with a bit of wind so if we get some more snow this could turn out to be super fun!

Edited by Sukhi

Metro Vancouver

3:35 PM PST Monday 14 December 2009

Freezing rain warning for

Metro Vancouver issued

Persons in or near this area should be on the lookout for adverse weather conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Watch for updated statements.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through your local radio and television stations or Weatheradio.

It going to be a ugly morning commute tomorrow.

Snow is starting to fall at YVR right now.

Edited by Chris19

Here we go, biggest winter storm since last December

Between 20-30 cm of snow could fall here in metro Vancouver, its also the top weather story on the Weather Network.

It's starting to come down right now here in North Delta, gonna be a bad evening rush hour and morning commute tommorow morning, yikes

I'm glad I dont work on the other side of th Fraser River.