The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Tender documents recently released for a 2013 articulated bus order. Highlights below

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/documents/...1077%20rfp.ashx

Highlights

25 Low-Floor Articulated Diesel Electric Hyrbids

- Designed life-span of 17 years/1 Million KM

- Delivery of a test-bus for September 2012

- Final 24 to be delivered February 2013

- Air-Conditioned

- Axion or Luminator signage

- Minmum seating capacity of 28, total minimum of 110

- Preference for "perimeter" seating in the very rear

- Standard sweep-R livery (with B-Line decals?)

More documents here.

Chris Cassidy

• 2 weeks later...

INFORMATION BULLETIN

2011TRAN0103-001529

Nov. 25, 2011

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

Tenders let for Evergreen Line early construction

VICTORIA – Two tenders for early construction on the Evergreen Line are posted today on BC Bid. Contracts are expected to be awarded by January 2012, and work will begin shortly after.

The two tenders include:

· Installing new underground BC Hydro power lines in Port Moody and Coquitlam for construction and operation of the Evergreen Line.

· Removing two vacant buildings in Coquitlam and one in Burnaby.

Installing new underground BC Hydro power lines will be one of the first in a series of construction activities to take place along the Evergreen Line route. This work is scheduled to take place in Port Moody and Coquitlam from January to June 2012.

Early construction also includes widening roads, moving utilities such as electrical and natural gas lines and relocating CP Rail tracks. This work will occur in several locations in Port Moody, Coquitlam and Burnaby before major construction begins. Additional early construction contracts will be tendered over the next several months.

The process to select the primary contractor is underway. Three shortlisted teams will submit proposals to design, build and finance the Evergreen Line by April 2012. The Province anticipates selecting the primary contractor in the summer of 2012. Major construction will begin shortly after that.

The Evergreen Line is scheduled to open in the summer of 2016. The new rapid transit line will connect Coquitlam to Vancouver via Port Moody and Burnaby. It will be a fast, frequent and convenient SkyTrain service, connecting Coquitlam City Centre through Port Moody to Lougheed Town Centre in approximately 15 minutes.

The Evergreen Line will allow passengers to connect, without transfer, to the existing SkyTrain network at Lougheed Station, and will integrate with regional bus and West Coast Express networks giving commuters more transportation choices.

INFORMATION BULLETIN

2011TRAN0103-001529

Nov. 25, 2011

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

Tenders let for Evergreen Line early construction

VICTORIA – Two tenders for early construction on the Evergreen Line are posted today on BC Bid. Contracts are expected to be awarded by January 2012, and work will begin shortly after.

The two tenders include:

· Installing new underground BC Hydro power lines in Port Moody and Coquitlam for construction and operation of the Evergreen Line.

· Removing two vacant buildings in Coquitlam and one in Burnaby.

Installing new underground BC Hydro power lines will be one of the first in a series of construction activities to take place along the Evergreen Line route. This work is scheduled to take place in Port Moody and Coquitlam from January to June 2012.

Early construction also includes widening roads, moving utilities such as electrical and natural gas lines and relocating CP Rail tracks. This work will occur in several locations in Port Moody, Coquitlam and Burnaby before major construction begins. Additional early construction contracts will be tendered over the next several months.

The process to select the primary contractor is underway. Three shortlisted teams will submit proposals to design, build and finance the Evergreen Line by April 2012. The Province anticipates selecting the primary contractor in the summer of 2012. Major construction will begin shortly after that.

The Evergreen Line is scheduled to open in the summer of 2016. The new rapid transit line will connect Coquitlam to Vancouver via Port Moody and Burnaby. It will be a fast, frequent and convenient SkyTrain service, connecting Coquitlam City Centre through Port Moody to Lougheed Town Centre in approximately 15 minutes.

The Evergreen Line will allow passengers to connect, without transfer, to the existing SkyTrain network at Lougheed Station, and will integrate with regional bus and West Coast Express networks giving commuters more transportation choices.

So less than six months to come up with a detailed design for a billion dollar and a half transit system. I think the consultants of BC should band together and decide that charge out rates are triple for design build jobs.....

So less than six months to come up with a detailed design for a billion dollar and a half transit system. I think the consultants of BC should band together and decide that charge out rates are triple for design build jobs.....

It was more or less the same with the Canada Line, it was a design as you build process. Besides, a lot of headway was already done with preliminary planning on the Evergreen Line.

Burquitlam.jpg

BurquitlamPlatform.jpg

CoqCentralEntry.jpg

CoquitlamCentral.jpg

DouglasCollege.jpg

Ioco.jpg

IocoLowView.jpg

Lougheed.jpg

Port%20MoodyWCE.jpg

PortMoodyCentral.jpg

PortMoodyEntry.jpg

• Upvote 2

I still don't know why these stations need to be so huge/take up so much land. Same with the Canada Line and it's underground! Build it as part of something bigger--I think New West is doing something like that with one of the Expo stations--it makes sense.

It was more or less the same with the Canada Line, it was a design as you build

process. Besides, a lot of headway was already done with preliminary planning

on the Evergreen Line.

Well what's the point of a design build then if the design is already settled? I assure you every proponant isn't going to be thinking it's done, they are going to try to tweak/redesign everything at the last minute to try to save money.

This last minute rush rush rush stuff is going to bite the taxpayer in the ass one day. I am AMAZED that SFPR hasn't had anything blowup yet.

That said I hope I win this project since I already have tweaks/redesigns in my head lol. Just doing some QQ on the schedule which is way too short.....

The Evergreen Line is supposed to terminate at Douglas College, kinda of a dead end for future expansion, no?

Would it not make more sense for it to travel along Guildford Way after Ioco Station to Douglas College Station then south on Pinetree Way to Coquitlam Station?

Then in the future the Evergreen Line can continue along the CPR railway tracks to Port Coquitlam Station and onto Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, and Mission?

The Evergreen Line is supposed to terminate at Douglas College, kinda of a dead end for future expansion, no?

Would it not make more sense for it to travel along Guildford Way after Ioco Station to Douglas College Station then south on Pinetree Way to Coquitlam Station?

Then in the future the Evergreen Line can continue along the CPR railway tracks to Port Coquitlam Station and onto Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, and Mission?

Coquitlam Centre Station is designed to be the Evergreen Line's own "Bridgeport Station." It is designed to allow a future extension branch to Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge, so trains will alternate between the branch for Douglas College and Pitt Meadows.

Coquitlam Centre Station is designed to be the Evergreen Line's own "Bridgeport Station." It is designed to allow a future extension branch to Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge, so trains will alternate between the branch for Douglas College and Pitt Meadows.

Douglas College is still a dead end, no? Where else could the line extend to later on?

Why not use that money to build the Evergreen Line all the way to Port Coquitlam now instead of to Douglas College and Coquitlam City Hall?

Couldn't the 97 B-Line be augmented to run between Coquitlam Station and a loop at Douglas College on Pinetree Way?

Douglas College is still a dead end, no? Where else could the line extend to later on?

Why not use that money to build the Evergreen Line all the way to Port Coquitlam now instead of to Douglas College and Coquitlam City Hall?

Couldn't the 97 B-Line be augmented to run between Coquitlam Station and a loop at Douglas College on Pinetree Way?

I wouldn't know, not entirely familiar with the specifics of the area. The Douglas College span will probably cost about $100-million, it won't be enough for Port Coquitlam which I would wager to be about $250-million.

The 97 B-Line will be axed once Evergreen Line is done.

Translink passenger complaints are on the increase:

'Pass-ups,' overcrowding lead to litany of complaints aimed at TransLink

TransLink is being bombarded with complaints by passengers unhappy about being passed up by overcrowded buses or having to wait for drivers who don't arrive at the stop on time.

A third-quarter report by the transportation authority said the number of complaints from TransLink passengers is higher than it was during the same period last year, partly as a result of expanded channels - such as social media - on which to log their concerns.

The top two categories of complaints continue to be "overcrowding and pass-ups" as well as "early and late bus arrivals," according to the report. But TransLink spokes-man Ken Hardie said passengers are also voicing concerns on everything from fare disputes to the way they're greeted by an operator or the behaviour of another passenger.

"We can certainly see when we're having a bad day ... it could simply be because of a traffic snarl somewhere," Har-die said. "When you consider that we're again going to set a ridership record but doing it with the same fleet [as last year] we anticipated there would be more issues with pass-ups and crowding."

Preliminary year-to-date results to the end of October show just over 192 million transit trips on the system - five-per-cent higher than for the same period in 2010, which included the Olympic Games. TransLink said trends indicate that by year's end, it will record its 10th annual ridership record in a row.

TransLink said the increase in riders is partly due to reallocating underused buses to routes and time periods where passengers had experienced crowding and pass-ups.

If TransLink can isolate a particular issue, Hardie said, extra buses can be sent to that area to pick up passengers.

Certain routes, such as the 99B Line and Nos. 20 and 25 often bear the brunt of the complaints. "Those are very long and very complex routes and it's very easy for buses to get overrun or behind schedule because of traffic conditions," Hardie said.

Hardie said although complaints to TransLink have increased, overall customer satisfaction ratings have remained at record high levels. According to the third-quarter results, the average customer satisfaction score remained at 7.7 out of 10, with 78 per cent of those on buses rating safety on the system as 'good to excellent.' He said the high satisfaction with the service is due to the fact that most people are receiving the service they expect.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Pass+overcrowding+lead+litany+complaints+aimed+TransLink/5864307/story.html#ixzz1goZEZqjd

I wouldn't know, not entirely familiar with the specifics of the area. The Douglas College span will probably cost about $100-million, it won't be enough for Port Coquitlam which I would wager to be about $250-million.

The 97 B-Line will be axed once Evergreen Line is done.

Coquitlam City Hall, Coquitlam Public Library, a swimming pool, a cultural centre, and a sports stadium are all at Guildford Way and Pinetree Way, but beyond that it's all residential. Doesn't seem like they need a SkyTrain to run there.

I pretty much agree with this. Heck at least a year ago when they were scrambling for the last bit of funding I was saying to close the gap by simply ending the project at the Coquitlam Centre WCE.

And then we will hear how it doesn't fit into Coquitlams plans blah blah blah. We need a network that serves the REGION not just Coquitlam and having a straight line that eventually goes straight to Maple Ridge would be far better.

If they ever did expand it to Maple Ridge and Poco in the future (which is further in the future since this is eating up money towards filling the rest of the network) would be much like the airport arm of the RAV, where at least at Bridgeport you know the airport line train to town will be near empty (the others already packed) except in this case the city of Coquitlam isn't footing the entire bill for the stub off of what is the actual main line.

Do pretty sketches = engineering now?

I mean I'm not "in the know" maybe those pretty sketches mean there's been at least some preliminary engineering done already too? What's the normal routine here?

They could hand out ready to go construction drawings to the design-build teams. It won't matter. The teams fighting for a better design will be working 60-80 hours a week to try to squeeze every bit of additional innovation and cost savings to try to win the contract. This significantly ups the risk of things going badly.

They should have simply lopped the last segnment off the route and put this out to design build a year a go and give them (the design build teams) a year and a half to try to save money while they work on coming up with more to add things in.

Unfortunately politics tend to influence schedules more than how fast things are done instead of how long it would take to reasonably complete things. And as always when there's rush put on things it costs more one way or the other never mind the additonal risk of acting this way.....

• 1 month later...

I still don't know why these stations need to be so huge/take up so much land. Same with the Canada Line and it's underground! Build it as part of something bigger--I think New West is doing something like that with one of the Expo stations--it makes sense.

Just make sure the construction allows you to maintain pedestrian access.

I was heading west out of the New West Station and they had fences up on the side of the road but there was sidewalk on the inside of the fence. No big deal.

Except five minutes down the road I realise the fence is a dead end and I have to walk all the way back to the front. This was enraging by the way.

I get back to where I start. No signs whatsoever on how to go west. Just fence.

So I just walked down Stewardson all the way until I got past the fence. Pretty dangerous but it beat getting lost walking on some route.

Sooner or later someone is going to do the same thing after taking the train home a few pops in and get themselves run over.

Way to maintain pedestrian access to skytrain!

Why not terminate it in Port Moody at the junction with the West Coast express and use some of that money to build some transit south of fraser (where tons of property and tax revenue evaporates to provide kids on the west side of Vancouver subsidised express bus service to school).