The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

One more thing to add...while the motors wouldn't freeze in winter, there's always the possibility of wheel slippage as these are rotary motors. SkyTrain's movement is dependent on the linear induction motor in the middle of the track. Because the train wheels are responsible for movement for the Canada Line, there's the possibility of trains overshooting stations from excess leaves and snow. It's a common problem with rotary motors/generic metro.

Hopefully they will use more advanced technology when they build the Evergreen line and all the other future lines. Canada line just seems like a rushed project built as cheap as possible for the Olympics. I wished they spent more to build something which could last at least 50 years.

^ over shooting platforms is especially a problem if the train length is also the same as the train platform....thus, a potential problem for the Canada Line from time to time. If it happens, attendants would be required to manually adjust the train to its right location before the train can proceed from the station. It's not a problem with SkyTrain as LIM is quite reliable even with snow and leaves, and currently the trains are much shorter than the platforms.

Ugh...that sound of the emergency brakes kicking in in the video is awful.

Hopefully they will use more advanced technology when they build the Evergreen line and all the other future lines. Canada line just seems like a rushed project built as cheap as possible for the Olympics. I wished they spent more to build something which could last at least 50 years.

LRT was thrown out for the Evergreen Line in favour of building a SkyTrain project for the seamless train ride into Vancouver and the cost efficiencies of an integrated system.

A lot of work has already been done for the project by the Ministry of Transportation, and they are really trying to ensure that a high standard is maintained for design. With all that said, there's a small possibility that this could be another Canada Line that uses a different technology and is not integrated with the rest of the system, despite being one of the arguments in favour of SkyTrain instead of LRT.

LRT was thrown out for the Evergreen Line in favour of building a SkyTrain project for the seamless train ride into Vancouver and the cost efficiencies of an integrated system.

A lot of work has already been done for the project by the Ministry of Transportation, and they are really trying to ensure that a high standard is maintained for design. With all that said, there's a small possibility that this could be another Canada Line that uses a different technology and is not integrated with the rest of the system, despite being one of the arguments in favour of SkyTrain instead of LRT.

I don't know why they want to use a more inferior technology or even a different technology when the existing SkyTrain technology is proven reliable. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't know why they want to use a more inferior technology or even a different technology when the existing SkyTrain technology is proven reliable. It just doesn't make sense.

According to the Evergreen Line's Project Office at Lougheed Station, it may not be SkyTrain at all but it will at least be "SkyTrain-like" technology like the Canada Line as it's fully grade-separated. It might have to do with them having to publicly say that as there will be a bid process.

Anyhow, if you haven't read this already:

SkyTrain Evergreen Line

Project Description Report for Environmental Assessment:

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/docume...f540e5a19c4.pdf

Highlights:

Preliminary Timeline:

Project Description Report Submission to EAO Q2 2009

Municipal Liaison on Reference Concept Q3 2009

Preliminary Design Consultation Q4 2009

Reference Concept Development Q4 2009

EAC Application Submission Q4 2009

Initiate Procurement Q4 2009

EA Certificate Q3 2010

Conclude Procurement Q4 2010

Start Construction Q4 2010

Construction Completion Q3 2014

Testing and Commissioning Q4 2014

Operational Service Q4 2014

In addition to these milestone activities, First Nations consultation commenced Q1 2009.

Consultation Schedule:

The proposed timeline for consultation is anticipated as follows:

Environmental Assessment Public Comment Period – Draft Terms of Reference

(late Q3 2009)

Preliminary Design Public Consultation (Q4 2009)

Environmental Assessment Public Comment Period – Application Review (Q1

2010)

Detailed Design Public Consultation (Q2 2010)

- 6 stations min. (up to 8) initially, which implies if others (i.e West PoMo) aren't built immediately, they can be added later.

- Includes a vehicle storage yard, and light maintainance facility. Edmonds will probably will keep its role as Operations Centre and heavy maintainance yard. No site picked yet, though the LRT proposal had at Falcon Drive (between the rail line and Barnet) for a OMC yard. Not sure which side of the CP Tracks the line will be running down at that point, but if its on the South, using the same site may be a little complicated.

- Trains purchases included in capital cost

- Stations will accommodate fare gates

- No decision yet on 1 or 2 tunnel boring machines

Owner's Engineers (hired by BC MoT to do preliminary design, they have NOT been awarded the contract to build the line, that hasn't started yet - see above) include:

VIA Architecture (architects, obviously)

CH2M Hill (heavy civil/structural, they did GEB)

Halcrow (planning)

Approximately 2 km of bored tunnel will be constructed from approximately north of Como Lake Avenue in Coquitlam to the Barnet Highway in Port Moody.

4. Project Corridor Description

The Project will extend north from Lougheed Town Centre Station on an elevated track

along North and Clarke Roads before entering a bored tunnel in the vicinity of Como

Lake Avenue and emerging near Barnet Highway north of Clarke Road in Port Moody.

Through Port Moody, the route will travel predominantly at grade adjacent to the CPR

right-of-way with an elevated crossing required at some point along the corridor. The

Project will continue adjacent to the CPR line to the West Coast Express Station in

Coquitlam and then will run on an elevated guideway along Pinetree Way, terminating

near Douglas College in Coquitlam.

4.1 Proposed Station Locations

The Project will have up to eight stations on opening day. Six primary stations (Figure

4.2-1) have been identified to date including:

• Expansion of the existing Lougheed Town Centre Station

• Burquitlam

• Port Moody/West Coast Express

• Ioco (near intersection of Barnett Highway and Ioco Road)

• Coquitlam/West Coast Express

• Coquitlam City Centre (Coquitlam City Hall/Douglas College)

Here is my plan for tomorrow:

1) Arrive at Waterfront and get in line around 11:00.

2) Pick up my "passport", get on the first train I can and ride it to the end of wherever it's going.

3) Slowly work my way back to Waterfront collecting stamps along the way.

4) Go home happy.

I'm going fully prepared to have to stand and wait for a long time, but I don't care.

It could be worse.

I know a guy from Dublin. He said that they have 2 train lines there that aren't integrated and don't meet up, yet there is a place where the two lines have stations that are 1.5 km from each other. 1.5 km and they didn't join them up. The maps for how to get places actually show you riding a train, getting off, walking 1.5 km to the next stop, then getting on another train and continuing.

It'd be like if they built the Canada line from Richmond to Cambie and Broadway and that's it. :P

It could be worse.

I know a guy from Dublin. He said that they have 2 train lines there that aren't integrated and don't meet up, yet there is a place where the two lines have stations that are 1.5 km from each other. 1.5 km and they didn't join them up. The maps for how to get places actually show you riding a train, getting off, walking 1.5 km to the next stop, then getting on another train and continuing.

It'd be like if they built the Canada line from Richmond to Cambie and Broadway and that's it. :P

lol, that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. Is there something in the way to make the stations closer? When were these lines even built??

Coraline, i believe every station will have passports but there's a limited number.

Edited by nitronuts

The picture below, Canada Line tracks...you may notice two concrete bars next to the steel rails, they are there to ensure the train stays on the guideway if the train derails.

How come the Canada Line needs these, but the Skytrain doesn't?

On the MS Excel file where I keep track of my bus rides, I'm graying out the peak hour routes that will be discontinued in September. (I gray out buses and routes that are no longer in operation.) That really makes me feel sad inside... :(

(Typical bus geek mourning/grieving? The first stage is denial...)

Edited by BuckyHermit