The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

More Seoul subway pics, at the most GORGEOUS station in the system.

I posted pics of Itaewon Station earlier. Itaewon is where the international district of Seoul is. This station is Noksapyeong Station (녹사평역 / 綠莎坪驛). It's at the western end of Itaewon and next to the US Armed Forces base, but is not heavily used.

But boy, this station just blew my mind.

Platform:

3901953171_d0a53df8ab_b.jpg

General concourse:

3902732346_27d0937fa9_b.jpg

And then the beauty really begins:

Escalators connecting the main foyer and the ticket vending areas:

3901955215_0bceb9c19c_b.jpg

3901958863_f715d4aa25_b.jpg

A glass dome looms above:

3901956467_1a2af38c13_b.jpg

3901957469_7ee3ac32a4_b.jpg

It's difficult to do justice to this station through these pics. It is really spacious and really stunning. It's as if the subway station is trying to pose as a giant shopping mall.

Edited by BuckyHermit

TODAY:

7:10 am

img00159-20090909-0655.jpg

img00162-20090909-0659.jpg

7:30 am

img00164-20090909-07251.jpg

img00163-20090909-0717.jpg

img00165-20090909-0737.jpg

img00167-20090909-0740.jpg

8 am

img00169-20090909-0814.jpg

img00168-20090909-0751.jpg

img00170-20090909-0819.jpg

99 B-Line is experiencing extremely heavy loads now. Coast Mountain Bus is sending additional coaches from Commercial-Broadway, running empty at first to pick up customers at stations from Clark Drive westward. Some of these are already full when they reach Main Street.

Many people are transferring from Canada Line to the 99B-Line westbound at Broadway-City Hall, which means they’re looking at some full buses going by (even though a lot of people tend to get off the B-Line at Cambie). It might mean some students aren’t aware of the other options for getting to UBC:#41 & #43 (from Oakridge-41st Ave)#25 & #33 (from King Edward)#84 (from Olympic Village)

Canada Line trains have been very busy this morning, with the ones out of RICHMOND-BRIGHOUSE leaving nearly full and some people being left behind; the ones leaving YVR, though, are managing to accommodate the people coming in from South of the Fraser at BRIDGEPORT station.

PRODUCTION WAY station is getting busier, with some being left behind on the #145 SFU, but it’s maybe a 2-bus wait, and with 4-minute gaps betwen buses, it’s still not onerous.

9 am:

OK … Canada Line peak time appears to be over at BRIDGEPORT, but there may still be some heavy loads out of RICHMOND-BRIGHOUSE.

Please remember that there are other ways of getting to UBC besides the 99 B-Line:#41 & #43 (from Oakridge-41st Ave)#25 & #33 (from King Edward)#84 (from Olympic Village)

99B-Line is currently experiencing heavy loads, but “empty” buses are going into service, picking up people from Clark Drive westward.

The lineup at COMMERCIAL-BROADWAY is snaking out onto the Commercial Drive sidewalk, but it’s staying orderly, thanks in part to the line management efforts by Transit Police and Coast Mountain Bus Co. supervisors and utility drivers. Thanks to the people who sent out free coffee, too.

PRODUCTION WAY had a bit of a peak in the past 45 minutes, but has settled down somewhat. Very few people if any getting left behind by the #145 bus.

WEST COAST EXPRESS experienced no problems at all.

What, using a rapid bus connection to connect two rapid transit lines is resulting in overcapacity issues? Quelle suprise!

Oh, as for the aiport sign business, while metro is good, it would be small and it doesn't have a prayer to the alter of branding, so put a canada line logo on it as well.

What, using a rapid bus connection to connect two rapid transit lines is resulting in overcapacity issues? Quelle suprise!

Oh, as for the aiport sign business, while metro is good, it would be small and it doesn't have a prayer to the alter of branding, so put a canada line logo on it as well.

That or the fact that they had estimated it would take peak period ridership 30 years to get to the levels we saw yesterday.

As for mentioning "Canada Line" at the airport, i'd abstain from that as some might think it's Air Canada and others might even think it'll take them to Toronto and Halifax.

That or the fact that they had estimated it would take peak period ridership 30 years to get to the levels we saw yesterday.

As for mentioning "Canada Line" at the airport, i'd abstain from that as some might think it's Air Canada and others might even think it'll take them to Toronto and Halifax.

No no no

Trust me, I would have the sign just say metro with an arrow as bucky suggested.

However, for some reason I can help thinking that the branding religous police would be upset.

So you don't write Canada line, you just have a sign that says metro and has the logo. They do have a logo don't they?

Basically, in proportions, the sign would be 20% arrow, 60% "METRO", and 20% Canada line logo, in that sequence.

Hmmm, an existing, already jammed to the gills bus line that already takes more passengers than MANY light rail lines, even with half the riders we are seeing on the RAV line, was judged to be OK?

Why do I see a "Well, if it's congested, they can use option X as an alternative" line of thinking there. AKA the "No one would use option X unless it's severly congested, so now we know for sure it's going to be severly congested" line of thinking. I guess that's the stick to get people off the bus and onto their bikes.

It should have been Canada Train, since there's more than one line to it anyways (one to Richmond, the other to airport).

That transit plan makes me laugh now, especially considering Translink has to come up with $2.75 billion. They might not even be able to get $130 to keep the current system let alone $2.75 in 10 years. I will be surprised if half that plan is done by 2020.

Edited by Vanuck14

99 B-Line is experiencing extremely heavy loads now. Coast Mountain Bus is sending additional coaches from Commercial-Broadway, running empty at first to pick up customers at stations from Clark Drive westward. Some of these are already full when they reach Main Street.

Many people are transferring from Canada Line to the 99B-Line westbound at Broadway-City Hall, which means they’re looking at some full buses going by

Well, what a surprise..........

My commute is going to be lovely this year.

Edited by Columbo

Ugh. Possibly the one time I'm blessed to be in Poco regarding transit. Even though the 159 service is incredibly poor.

And also, every time I get on the skytrain I get mildly annoyed by the ridiculously inaccurate map. It's seriously ugly and inaccurate. Geographically speaking. The new maps at the stations look nice, because they had space to roll out a somewhat detailed region.

There is a 41 b-line in the works.

See page 11: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/Transit_Plan/Provi...sit_Plan_LR.pdf

However who the hell knows when any of it will get built...

One would have thought that it would have opened at the same time as the RAV line..... :rolleyes:

That at least would have been an alternative that would actually be more attractive to the 99 for reasons other than the 99 being congested.