The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Significant crowding on the Canada Line is due to the fact that:

1) They ordered only 20 trains and are required to keep 10% as spares. 18-trains are all they can use as noted in the contract. In other words, there are not enough trains....they should've ordered at least 25 trains - ideally, 30.

The existing "every other train goes to the other direction" configuration between Richmond and YVR is to maintain a maximum allowable frequency (we can't have a train every 25-minutes at YVR during the day). And even ridership at YVR is much higher than estimated.

Once we have more trains, we'll start to see the first two trains going to Richmond and the third train to YVR. Frequency will be drastically increased.

2) The trains are far too small, even though technically they are technically equivalent to a 4-car Mark I train. They also lack doors, there should be 4 doors per car rather than 3 given the technical capacity of each car.

You don't want single-tracking to Douglas College if a train ever breaks down. And secondly, you won't see capacity problems like what we're seeing on the Canada Line considering the Evergreen will have the potential of reaching twice the ultimate capacity of the Canada Line with longer trains (40-metre vs. 80 platforms today; 50-metre platforms versus 100-metre platforms future).

yes, we need more trains..but we also need the fare gates!!!

I can't wait until 2012!!!

Can someone please give me an update on how the former 491/496 corridors are doing, transit-wise?

Not as packed as I expected, but still full buses when it leaves the former bay 1 stop (for 410) and for the 401, full when it leaves Brighouse.

Now, the RAV...taht's a different story.

any plans to order more?

(I'm guessing not...)

Nope....unfortunately, they didn't think they would need more trains until 2015.

Even though winter is still a few months away, how reliable are Canada Line trains during snow?

The tunnel section obviously won't have problems, but the exposed sections in Richmond would even though Richmond traditionally doesn't get much snow and gets warmer temperatures. With SkyTrain, magnets on the track move the train - the train has no engine, it's not like a car. With the Canada Line trains, it's like a car that runs on electricity - it requires an engine to move those steel wheels, and those steel wheels require friction.