The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

In Hong Kong, the Octopus Card works everywhere...

The price is calculated using the distance between the station you checked in at and the one you checked out in.

There are plans to do the same here, it's called distance-traveled fare pricing.

I'm quite sure they didn't spend $60-million just to build a station to show-off, and even at that it's not much to show-off for.

The Olympic Village won't be done until the fall, so no it won't be occupied until next January when athletes and officials arrive.....and then it won't be occupied by residents until late next year. The station itself is west of the Cambie Street Bridge, about half a km away from the Village. The whole area southeast False Creek area, not just the Olympic Village, will be redeveloped into condos soon after for 15,000 people to live.

What you see at the Richmond terminus is it.

Then why do they need to rush the construction. :huh:

Does anyone have a picture of the station?

Does all SkyTrain line's end with that ugly thing like that?

Then why do they need to rush the construction. :huh:

Does anyone have a picture of the station?

Does all SkyTrain line's end with that ugly thing like that?

Look in the previous page for pictures.

Because it's cheaper to build it now. The hole is already dug for the tunnel boring machine portal, might as well fill it in with the station now instead of later rather than filling it with dirt. And it'll be used by the many residents who live on the south side of False Creek and for those getting to Granville Island. It'll be a popular station once the station is used up, and it's built on city-owned land in which the city has plans to redevelop the vacant lot right next to the station into an entertainment complex....I'm going to assume it includes a theatre.

Maybe they should have implemented the system in the CanadaLine as a trial for the future region-wide use?

There are risks, though. :(

It doesn't make sense to implement the system with the Canada Line. For one thing, they are still designing the system. Secondly, any implementation would have to be done for the entire region at the same time.

Look in the previous page for pictures.

Because it's cheaper to build it now. The hole is already dug for the tunnel boring machine portal, might as well fill it in with the station now instead of later rather than filling it with dirt. And it'll be used by the many residents who live on the south side of False Creek and for those getting to Granville Island. It'll be a popular station once the station is used up, and it's built on city-owned land in which the city has plans to redevelop the vacant lot right next to the station into an entertainment complex....I'm going to assume it includes a theatre.

So are they planning to renovate it when the initial flow of passengers stop or something?

It doesn't make sense to implement the system with the Canada Line. For one thing, they are still designing the system. Secondly, any implementation would have to be done for the entire region at the same time.

Oh right. Sorry, I wasn't really thinking. I hope they get this system up and running before they raise the bus ticket price or whatever, though. Will the same system be used across SeaBus, SkyTrain, and Buses, too?

So are they planning to renovate it when the initial flow of passengers stop or something?

No. There's sufficient accessibility capacity for thousands of people to use it daily.

Oh right. Sorry, I wasn't really thinking. I hope they get this system up and running before they raise the bus ticket price or whatever, though. Will the same system be used across SeaBus, SkyTrain, and Buses, too?

When smart cards and fare gates are introduced, the existing 3-zone system will be scrapped and replaced with distance-traveled fare pricing like Hong Kong. They are also considering making our smart card compatible with vendors, perhaps like Tim Hortons and Jugo Juice.

No. There's sufficient accessibility capacity for thousands of people to use it daily.

When smart cards and fare gates are introduced, the existing 3-zone system will be scrapped and replaced with distance-traveled fare pricing like Hong Kong. They are also considering making our smart card compatible with vendors, perhaps like Tim Hortons and Jugo Juice.

Ohh, that's great! So we're trying to implement a Hong Kong type system here. Sounds very interesting, actually.

What should we call our smart card?

I've always preferred "Otter". It's cute and cuddly. "Orca" for "One Regional Card For All" was suggested by Translink when it first did studies on smart cards for Vancouver, but Seattle took note of it and used it for their own system.

Some other names worldwide:

Hong Kong - Octopus

London - Oyster

Toronto - Presto

Montreal - Opus

St. John's - M-Card

Minneapolis - Go-To Card

Philadelphia - Freedom

San Diego - Compass

Atlanta - Breeze

Los Angeles - TAP

San Francisco - TransLink Card and EZ-Rider