The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Although my primary concern still has to do with the fate of 491/496. I really don't want to see my commute time increased by 20-30 minutes due to the discontinuation of those routes just because TransLink sees the Canada Line as a blanket "solution" to all the bus problems in Richmond.

Honestly, I would hate to commute northbound during the morning rush, along with other Richmond people who cant use the 4xx express routes, and along with the 3xx and 6xx passengers...

It seems like a good thing by forcing everyone onto one bus and lowering expenses, but it makes for an even greater inconvenience.

lol I'd hate to be the resident who owns that house right at the tunnel portal... 1. The noise as the trains go by would drive a sane person up the wall, 2. his property value probably tanked worse than the stock market last week.

lol I'd hate to be the resident who owns that house right at the tunnel portal... 1. The noise as the trains go by would drive a sane person up the wall, 2. his property value probably tanked worse than the stock market last week.

Noise is awfully quiet, but that's just me.

I say property's gonna skyrocket, just because hes living next to major transport line now.

You're right about whoever living near there hating the trains go in and out all day (1)......noise shouldn't be a problem as the trains are much more quiet than SkyTrain vehicles, but (2) his property values probably skyrocketed.....the whole area around Marine Drive is set to be rezoned for high density development, meaning whoever lives in the area could potentially (and very likely) cash in when developers come knocking on their door and make a offer 2-3x the property's worth.

Of course, that probably won't be happening soon with the current real estate market.

Edited by nitronuts

The metal body and the wooden roof looks so cheap. Why can't they spend more money for a better design.

I agree with you, and if you asked me the roofs look like something from IKEA.

And the reason why the stations look so cheap is because they're under a very, very tight budget and you can blame that on the provincial governnment for tightening the purse and insisting on significant and unnecessary tunnel on Cambie plus making it a private-public proejct. Believe it or not, the average construction cost of the Canada Line's elevated stations is about $25-million each.

Hell, they couldn't even afford to have a glass facade for the stations that reaches all the way to the top of the roof:

Aberdeen Station, completed.

KICX5035.jpg

Not to mention that they couldn't even afford to paint the trains entirely:

KICX5026.jpg

With that said, the Canada Line elevated stations do fair a bit better than the generic green metal designs of the Expo Line stations.....but we probably have much higher standards with the architectural excellence shown on the Millennium Line.

You're right about whoever living near there hating the trains go in and out all day (1)......noise shouldn't be a problem as the trains are much more quiet than SkyTrain vehicles, but (2) his property values probably skyrocketed.....the whole area around Marine Drive is set to be rezoned for high density development, meaning whoever lives in the area could potentially (and very likely) cash in when developers come knocking on their door and make a offer 2-3x the property's worth.

Of course, that probably won't be happening soon with the current real estate market.

give it time. 10 more years? then developers will come knocking.

and then hold out. pressure them into giving MORE! MORE! MORE!

Hell, they couldn't even afford to have a glass facade for the stations that reaches all the way to the top of the roof:

Aberdeen Station, completed.

KICX5035.jpg

Natural ventilation purposes?

wait...if it dosn't go all the way up, will the platforms be soaking wet from rain + wind blowing rain in, or are there designs put into place that ensures passengers don't have to endure wet, crappy conditions like on the B-line right now?

We've had a ton of transit topics over the years....lets make this the official one.

2040uc8.png

Sorry to post my 3rd post in a 1/2 hr, but as I was re-looking at this, I noticed that Burnett and Thompson were incorrectly spelled. is this map based on speculation and people's wishes for what GVRD transit to look like, or was this picture actually put out by translink/other transit authority?

^ perhaps we should rename it the Welfare Line then? ;)

Now that you mentioned it, whoever named it the "Canada Line" should be shoved onto the street, hit by the car, and shot. That's a terrible name......and it was created simply because the federal government contributed $400-million to the $2-billion project! Is the federal government holding us ransom or something? When the federal government starts contributing to other projects, like the Evergreen Line or projects in Toronto and Calgary, are we going to name those Maple Leaf or Canadien Lines??

Do you see Seattle naming something the America Line? London with England Line? Sydney with Australia Line?????

It's beyond retarded in my opinion.

The line should have been called the Olympic Line continuing the tradition of the Expo Line (marking Expo '86), the Millennium Line (marking 2000 of course), and then the Olympic Line for 2010.

Yes, the Canada Line would have been built with or without 2010 but for naming purposes it makes so much sense to call it the Olympic Line.

I'd have to agree that the Millennium Line stations make the new Canada Line stations look extremely cheap in comparison.

The lengths of the station platforms on the Canada Line bug me the most.....half the length of SkyTrain (80-metres) at just 40-metres (two B-Line buses plus one Honda and maybe half a bike). In other words, the Canada Line stations = bomb shelters and tree houses.

The line should have been called the Olympic Line continuing the tradition of the Expo Line (marking Expo '86), the Millennium Line (marking 2000 of course), and then the Olympic Line for 2010.

Yes, the Canada Line would have been built with or without 2010 but for naming purposes it makes so much sense to call it the Olympic Line.

Use of the suffix -lympics is subject to a lawsuit by whoever made up that stupid rule to begin with.

I think after a while, the name Canada Line will die down because of huge unpopularity and ppl will just call it the RAV line.

Natural ventilation purposes?

wait...if it dosn't go all the way up, will the platforms be soaking wet from rain + wind blowing rain in, or are there designs put into place that ensures passengers don't have to endure wet, crappy conditions like on the B-line right now?

It is for natural ventilation purposes and it's also done for the Millennium Line stations, but the difference with the M-Line is that there's quite a bit of roof overhang to block out any rain from entering the station......the Canada Line stations on the other hand are quite flawed in this respect, and not choosing to go all the way up seems more like a strange way to save money - resulting in cheap looking stations or extremely feminine stations.

Sorry to post my 3rd post in a 1/2 hr, but as I was re-looking at this, I noticed that Burnett and Thompson were incorrectly spelled. is this map based on speculation and people's wishes for what GVRD transit to look like, or was this picture actually put out by translink/other transit authority?

It's mostly what Translink is planning with a few add-ons by people with fantasies.

Edited by nitronuts

Use of the suffix -lympics is subject to a lawsuit by whoever made up that stupid rule to begin with.

I think after a while, the name Canada Line will die down because of huge unpopularity and ppl will just call it the RAV line.

All it takes to allow that to happen is for someone to ask the IOC whether or not they will permit it....and that was done by Grouse Mountain for the recently completed Olympic Express chairlift and InTransitBC for renaming the Canada Line's 2nd Avenue Station to the Olympic Village Station.

Considering we're an upcoming Olympic city, the IOC would have given approval for Olympic Line in a heartbeat.