The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Eh, Somewhat transit related I guess. Found a wallet on the Bus today, 700$ cash and a future shop gift card worth 200$. $900 for riding the bus... not too shabby if you ask me. Well -3.75 for a 2 zone pass. $896.25 Profit :D

Oh, and if this is your wallet & you're reading this, LOL @ you, It's mine.

Hey, that's not nice.

at least you should return the wallet to the Lost and Found at the Stadium skytrain station.

Eh, Somewhat transit related I guess. Found a wallet on the Bus today, 700$ cash and a future shop gift card worth 200$. $900 for riding the bus... not too shabby if you ask me. Well -3.75 for a 2 zone pass. $896.25 Profit :D

Oh, and if this is your wallet & you're reading this, LOL @ you, It's mine.

There's one term they have to describe people like you......ummmm......

....oh yea, right: a$$hole.

It is for natural ventilation purposes and it's also done for the Millennium Line stations, but the difference with the M-Line is that there's quite a bit of roof overhang to block out any rain from entering the station......the Canada Line stations on the other hand are quite flawed in this respect, and not choosing to go all the way up seems more like a strange way to save money - resulting in cheap looking stations or extremely feminine stations.

Does this mean they'll be decorating them with pink hearts and pretty flowers?

thats what this is for right?

think it'll actually work?

More Buses Now

Hell no.

The problem lies both in over congestion along main arteries like Broadway, Hwy 99, Granville, and other bottlenecks like Oak, Arthur Laing, Queensbourugh, etc.

I'm all for more buses, but what's the point if all you're doing is putting more buses on the road, with no roads for them to travel on?

Fare checking: Doing the 'SkyTrain Macarena'

Susan Lazaruk, The Province

Published: Friday, October 31, 2008

To test public suspicion that fare-evasion rates are high, The Province sent out its own checkers to see how often their fares were checked on their regular commutes.

Some three dozen transit users who work for The Province and its parent company, the Pacific Newspaper Group, kept a journal for four weeks (see chart).

"Busy back to work/school day -- not a SkyTrain employee in sight!" noted librarian Sandra Boutilier. "It was so busy the driver held his hand over the fare box to stop people from validating so the vehicle can load faster. I've seen this often," she noted the next day boarding a bus at Main Street and Terminal Avenue.

"Drivers leave their buses parked at Lonsdale Quay with their doors open and anyone can board and never pay," said reporter Elaine O'Connor.

"I take the SkyTrain a couple of times each month and I have never had my fare checked," said graphic artist Ginger Sedlarova.

During a rare check, photo desker Dave Rigler watched one rider patting himself down in what fare checkers call the SkyTrain Macarena until the checker's back was turned and his buddy slipped him his FareSaver.

HOW OFTEN ARE FARES CHECKED?

SkyTrain: 361 trips, 12 checks, 3%; 349 not checked, 97%

SeaBus: 78 trips, 3 checks, 4%; 75 96

West Coast Express: 234 trips, 79 checks, 34%; 155 not checked, 66%

Bus: 361 trips, 234 checks, 65%; 127 not checked, 35%

TOTAL: 1,034 trips, 328 checks, 32%; 706 not checked, 68%

These are the results of an unofficial one-month survey by 35 employees of Pacific Newspaper Group who use transit regularly. On each trip, they recorded whether their fares were checked or not.

-- Survey compiled by Lesa Chu

What routes were checked most, and what routes were never/rarely checked? For instance, would a transit cop check a full 480 knowing most (if not all) students would have their U-pass on thm, or would he check a B-line?

The bottom numbers aren't that surprising. I've only been checked twice in my entire 2.5 years that I've ridden the bus/skytrain/Seabus...

Hell no.

The problem lies both in over congestion along main arteries like Broadway, Hwy 99, Granville, and other bottlenecks like Oak, Arthur Laing, Queensbourugh, etc.

I'm all for more buses, but what's the point if all you're doing is putting more buses on the road, with no roads for them to travel on?

Well, the lack of buses is like half of the problem with road congestion being the other half as you mentioned. Adding more buses is a start, followed by perhaps installing traffic signal priority for buses.

This is also why the region needs a strong fully grade separated rapid transit rail backbone, i.e. SkyTrain, to bypass all that road congestion.

What routes were checked most, and what routes were never/rarely checked? For instance, would a transit cop check a full 480 knowing most (if not all) students would have their U-pass on thm, or would he check a B-line?

It makes most sense to check routes that allow rear door boarding (ie. B-Lines) and respond to driver reports of problem passengers on others.

October 31, 2008

Loading underway for “trolley export”

The journey continues over the weekend for 80 recently retired trolley buses from the Metro Vancouver transit system, as they are now being loaded onboard the freighter Wisdom, for the trip to Mendoza, Argentina, where they will be part of that city’s trolley bus system.

Loading at Fraser Surrey Docks began Thursday, and is expected to take until Monday, as each bus has to be towed from the staging area to dockside, hoisted gingerly into the hold, and then positioned using a forklift. It is expected that each eight-hour shift will be able to load approximately 10 buses.

The process has posed some interesting challenges for stevedores. Because the buses are made of lightweight aluminum and contain electrical motors and parts, lifting them by the sides would risk damaging the bodies. Instead, heavy bars have been placed under the front and rear wheels and hooks connected to the bars. Freighters are built to carry containers, which are eight feet wide, five-across. But the buses are 8’ 6” wide, so they don’t fit in that same pattern. They need to be secured, so as not to damage one another during the trip.

Once loaded, the Wisdom will sail for Valparaiso, Chile, where the buses will be loaded onto trucks for the 350 kilometre journey to Mendoza over the Trans-Andes Highway. The trucks with their cargo will have to negotiate the Cristo Redentor Tunnel, which runs three kilometres through the mountains at a height of 3,200 metres.

Mendoza, a city of 900,000 in western Argentina, has a trolley system that covers 75 kilometres of streets and currently has 45 trolébuses. On learning in 2006 that TransLink was about to replace its entire trolley fleet, Empresa Provincial de Transportes de Mendoza began negotiating to acquire them. EPTM is paying $2300 per bus, $700 more than the scrap value. EPTM is responsible for the shipping costs (which cannot be disclosed, under the agreement brokered by CTL Westrans) and for maintenance and restoration as necessary.

The buses have an average of 1.2 million kilometres’ service over the 26 years they have been driven around Vancouver. TransLink had 244 of the trolleys: the remainder – after the 80 going to Mendoza – have been decommissioned and scrapped, except for two, which are being restored by the Transit Museum Society www.trams.ca.

Editors: a photo, courtesy Jhenifer Pabillano of The Buzzer Blog buzzer.translink.ca, is attached. Suggested cutline: “A recently retired Flyer Industries bus is hoisted aboard the freighter Wisdom, to be shipped to a new life in Mendoza, Argentina.”

Image from Buzzer Blog write-up

2993755501_42c879cc98_o.jpg

Or more buses, even. Both should be top priorities, imho.

BuckyHermit, you miss out a word, express.

We need more express buses!

We need turnstiles (/fare gates)!

btw, let's vote for McNulty on Nov. 15th.

He is the only one who supports to have fare gates for the Canada line!

If there is no fare gates, people would just take the sky train for free.

That is not acceptable!

BuckyHermit, you miss out a word, express.

We need more express buses!

We need turnstiles (/fare gates)!

btw, let's vote for McNulty on Nov. 15th.

He is the only one who supports to have fare gates for the Canada line!

If there is no fare gates, people would just take the sky train for free.

That is not acceptable!

McNulty's from my neighborhood too. ;) Seafair FTW!

Express buses for sure, since we're both probably heavily biased towards improving the 491 and 496...

how about using the money for something more useful like turnstiles

Why not? A few wires and docks are pretty cheap. And it's good for business and productivity. Not to mention it's better to have people fidgeting with devices while riding the bus than while driving.