The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Current Operating conditions:

Road and weather conditions are in a "near whiteout" situation over much of Metro Vancouver, and are getting worse.Surrey, Coquitlam and Richmond are also experiencing heavy snow and high winds. Extensive delays, reroutes and many buses have to pull over and wait for salt and sanding trucks.

North Vancouver:

#229 to route Lonsdale, Hwy 1, Lynn Valley in both directions

#230 service to terminate at 23 st & Lonsdale

#246 to turn at Queens

#210 terminating at Phibbs.

#236 Grouse: no service at this time

#210 terminating at Phibbs

Tri Cities:

#C28 using Robson both ways.

#C27 using Noons Creek, David.

#C29 using Johnson/Pannorama/Parkway.

#151 to route via Mariner both directions.

#156 use Laurentian both ways, route Brunette, Schoolhouse, Lougheed both ways

#157 use Marmont not Lebleau

#153 route Brunette, Schoolhouse, Lougheed both ways

#97 currently no buses are running along Clarke Hill. They are trying to stop and turn around if possible near Clarke and North and Clarke and St Johns

Vancouver:

In Vancouver, Georgia is extremely slippery

#16 is not using Arbutus, but going via Granville to 63rd in both directions

Bus service is currently suspended to UBC (terminating at Highbury or Alma)

Burnaby:

Bus service is currently suspended to SFU (terminating at Duthie and Production)

In West Vancouver:

#253 Caulfeild and #254 British Properties are on snow route;

#255 Lynnmour has stopped altogether due to buses stuck in various spots.

#257 Horseshoe Bay Express is going via Marine Drive.

Both Horseshoe Bay routes are going all the way to the ferry terminal.

My dad's such an idiot sometimes. He was having an argument with me, saying that the transit system now is better than 10 years ago, especially for our area.

Let's see. For 9am classes this past semester, I left 20 minutes earlier than I normally did when I was in first year, when I had the same school start time. The reason was because the old departure time, which worked in first year, no longer got me there on time.

And with the opening of the Canada Line, that'll tack another 20 minutes to the commute due to the time needed to get from here to Richmond Centre (which I normally bypass via my peak hour bus route -- mentioned many times before in this thread). So I'd have to leave a full 40 minutes earlier than I did in my first year at UBC.

I fail to see how the system is therefore "better."

Unfortunately, I know so many people who have the same mindset, that everything is getting "better." It's those same people who watch the government TV ads boasting about BC being the "best place on earth" (ignoring this province's problems with poverty and unemployment) and immediately buy into them without a second thought. Unfortunately, that seems to be the same method that's often used by TransLink to boast about so-called transit "improvements." But that's another story for another time.

It's just stupid how some people would just buy into that sort of claim without experiencing things first-hand, and then blast anyone who does have first-hand experience, saying that person is wrong because some ad or publicity campaign told everyone that things are just cheery. In this case, my dad bought into the whole "our transit system is better than it ever was" stuff that TransLink seem to have fed him, despite never taking public transit.

Okay, that's my rant.

Are low floor buses with wheelchair ramps a bit of an improvement?

Coast Mountain Bus Co.

- There are numerous re-routes around the system due to the road conditions, particularly at higher elevations.

Service is now getting up to SFU.

- #84 and #44 are using Chancellor Blvd again to get to UBC - that road has now been cleared.

- Mariner Way in Coquitam is back open, however the #152 is being re-routed away from the back hill and Community Shuttles are having difficulties on Westwood Plateau.

Translink has released a request for proposal for the purchase of 7 additional bi-level cars for the West Coast Express:

http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/procureme...Q8-0139_EOI.pdf

The South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (“TransLink”) is requesting Expressions of Interest (EOI) for the supply of seven (7) bi-level passenger rail cars. These rail cars are required for the West Coast Express Service and Facility Expansion Project.

In order to meet recent and anticipated ridership growth on the West Coast Express commuter rail service, the additional rail cars are required for delivery in the summer of 2010.

To ensure a seamless integration with the existing West Coast Express commuter rail service, the new bi-level passenger rail cars must be capable of being integrated with the existing commuter rail.

Edited by nitronuts

What exactly is the facility expansion project and what is the need for additional cars when the service is going to lose major market share of commuters? The evergreen expansion which stops at 2 or more WCE stations will cut demand as well, the pitt river bridge and road improvements will encourage drivers to stay in their cars. Unless the service plans to expand eastward there shouldn't be a need for additional cars.

What exactly is the facility expansion project and what is the need for additional cars when the service is going to lose major market share of commuters? The evergreen expansion which stops at 2 or more WCE stations will cut demand as well, the pitt river bridge and road improvements will encourage drivers to stay in their cars. Unless the service plans to expand eastward there shouldn't be a need for additional cars.

The WCE contract is up for renewal with CN Rail in 2014. It potentially means that WCE/Translink will be able to bargain with CN Rail to schedule more trains throughout the day.

The WCE contract is up for renewal with CN Rail in 2014. It potentially means that WCE/Translink will be able to bargain with CN Rail to schedule more trains throughout the day.

Won't they need to lay an extra track to handle all day service without interfering with freight traffic too much?

By the way, that's CP Rail.

Edited by Buggernut

Won't they need to lay an extra track to handle all day service without interfering with freight traffic too much?

Depends on what type of service....bi-directional all-day service would obviously require two tracks.

The only reason why the GO Train is so awesome in Toronto is because the federal government was part of the negotiations with CN Rail....if only they did the same here.

Edited by nitronuts

Depends on what type of service....bi-directional all-day service would obviously require two tracks.

It's already double tracked. But I figured that there would have to be at least one track open to freight, possibly two depending on how heavy freight traffic is along Burrard Inlet's shores.

I imagine bidirectional service is possible on one track as long as there are strategically positioned sidings placed throughout.

But is there really a need to schedule more trains during the day? By 2014 Port Moody, Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam will all be serviced by skytrain. Maple Ridge residents could get to the Coquitlam skytrain station within a 10-15 minute bus ride. The only benefit I guess would be it may attract a few more riders who feel an extra $5-8 a day is worth it to ride the WCE rather then skytrain. CP rail charges $7 million + for WCE to run on their rails per year and expanded service times occur that number would probably nearly double. The Railway also has a swing bridge over the Pitt River in which boats don't have authority to cross when the WCE is running in the AM and PM. A service throughout the day would hamper boat/tug operation as well a freight traffic. A better plan would be remain the status quo on the line. If translink wants to expand rail commuter traffic they should seriously consider creating a commuter rail service between langley and Scott Road. That line wouldn't intefere much with freight and encourage more development and ridership then the alternative.

Without major upgrades a train could run from langley to Scott Road Skytrain station every hour. It would only take two trains to obtain hourly service. Although without a major upgrade it would take 1 hour to get from Willowbrook station in langley (40 minutes from the Cloverdale station, 20 minutes from the Newton station and 8 minutes from the North Delta station) to the station near the Scott Road skytrain station. With a major upgrade, time could probably be nearly cut in half and service could operate every 30 mintues. The major upgrade would cost a fraction of construction of skytrain.

But is there really a need to schedule more trains during the day? By 2014 Port Moody, Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam will all be serviced by skytrain. Maple Ridge residents could get to the Coquitlam skytrain station within a 10-15 minute bus ride. The only benefit I guess would be it may attract a few more riders who feel an extra $5-8 a day is worth it to ride the WCE rather then skytrain. CP rail charges $7 million + for WCE to run on their rails per year and expanded service times occur that number would probably nearly double. The Railway also has a swing bridge over the Pitt River in which boats don't have authority to cross when the WCE is running in the AM and PM. A service throughout the day would hamper boat/tug operation as well a freight traffic. A better plan would be remain the status quo on the line.

I think they should just run trains between Mission and Coquitlam Central or even just between Haney and Coquitlam Central during non-peak hours at hourly intervals, to feed into the Evergreen Line instead of competing with it.

Once every hour shouldn't interfere with boat traffic on the Pitt River too badly, should it?

I think they should just run trains between Mission and Coquitlam Central or even just between Haney and Coquitlam Central during non-peak hours at hourly intervals, to feed into the Evergreen Line instead of competing with it.

Once every hour shouldn't interfere with boat traffic on the Pitt River too badly, should it?

Could work, probably would need a study or two to see if there is actually enough riders for this. I'm not too sure how much boat traffic uses the Pitt River but I'd imagine its not too busy as the lougheed highway has used a swing span over the river for decades. Although, a 15 minute delay wouldn't hurt anyone.

If it succeeds

Current WCE schedule-

Vancouver arrival times

0640, 0710, 0740, 0810, 0840

Vancouver departure times

0350, 0420, 0450, 0530, 0620

expanded schedule

Vancouver extra departure

0900 arrives Haney 0955, trainbus connection at Haney to Mission or Fort Langley/North Langley for each extra train

Haney extra departure to Coquitlam Central every 1 hour

1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400

1400 departure direct to Vancouver arrives 1500

the new Golden ears bridge should open up some oppurtunities for more commuter traffic to WCE stations and the evergreen line from Wal Nut Grove, Port Kells and Fort Langley.

so the 2020 plan should include this WCE Haney-Coquitlam Central skytrain connection and a new Langley-Scott Road skytrain commuter rail connection. Probably cheaper, better for development, reduce road traffic then a further expansion to sky train and the liberal bus plan.

I agree with this one, simply because there's no bus link between the Tri-Cities/Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows area and Mission.