The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

I have to agree with everyone but the OP on this one Burrows is one player that I'd consider UNTOUCHABLE at this point. Lest we forget his SERIES winning goal( oh yeah an OT goal at that) last year against St. Louis. Or how about his production ? One of the better producing players on the team. He puts forth the most consistent effort of the entire team nightn in night out. OP you need to really gain an understanding of the basics of hockey. :bigblush: Burrows bleeds :canucks:

This 'bandwagon jumper' still has his white towel from the =82 cup finals, so allow me to continue to educate... people talk about Burrows value on the PK, how he is good for 2 million, and how me brings 'energy' to the bench. That is exactly why he should be traded. We have lots of guys who can work the PK and he is good value for 2 million, which is why he makes such great trade bait. You could probably send him to Columbus for Jeff Carter straight up. And I promise you, AV would be robbing them blind. You put Jeff Carter on that wing and I guarantee he scores more big goals than burrows ever did.

As for bench presence, lets put on our bigboy pants everyone. This is a business, and the Canucks can use him to make themselves better. I bet scoring more goals helps on the bench too. The idea of 'Canucks for life' is ridiculous. If you feel nostalgic, hire him back when he is winding down his career like they did with Linden. He takes lazy penalties and doesn't provide anything that others on the team couldn't quickly step in to do. He is not a team leader and shouldn't be treated as untouchable. If teams want him, then let them offer up what they have and lets get above market value for him while the getting is good.

I don't have a hate on for the guy, I just think he is overvalued and now is the time to cash in on it. There are deals that could be made with him that would make the team better today. I would rather have a stronger run at the cup this year and worry about the repercussions in summer as I think back fondly to how awesome it was when we won the cup in thanks to those key players we picked up in February when we moved expendable overvalued players like burrows.

What planet are you from? Again, you couldn't be further off the mark and you lost me at the bolded red part. Well, actually, long before that.

Burrows IS a key player and if you don't understand that, then you likely just don't understand. Had a whole spiel about it, but I'll leave it at that.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the education. :rolleyes:

1. Cap space. Trading Burrows for another 25-30 goal scorer would be a minus.

2. Burrows has one more year left at 2 million. Any team he goes to they know he will not give them a "home town discount" and his agent will be negotiating hard based on his numbers. So they only get a good deal for a year.

3. Chemistry. Any other team, would be taking a huge chance that Burrows would ignite with the same eager energy on the top 6 that he has here with the Sedins.

For our team...Yanking Burrows out of the team, someone who is such an integral part of its heart beat, would send a bad message to the other players. "You take a home town discount for us.....doesn't mean a thing to us in the end. We'll just use it to make you more attractive trade bait." Also Gillis would be taking a HUGE risk that this new player would mesh with the Sedins as well as Burrows. Many have tried...few are chosen.

4. Trade for a player like Carter? From what I've seen, other teams still don't respect Alex Burrows as a top line player. Their loss, our gain. But I am not convinced that we would get equal value (and I don't mean monetarily).

5. "he takes lazy penalties"?

Really??? Alex takes penalties like any other player, but I would hardly call anything Alex does as "lazy". He's not a floater by any means.

Alex takes more abuse, more non-calls than any other player on the team. Other teams put their biggest, most brutal D on against the line he plays on, and he is the one on the line that most times goes in first and fights for the puck. He's also the one that goes to the net more often. He is continually slashed, hacked, cross-checked. Burrows could draw 10x the penalty calls if he wasn't....Burrows.

6. "he is not a team leader"?

I don't know how you define "leader". Does he wear a letter?..no. But he has earned a veteran status now and is part of the leadership group. If no other way, he shows leadership on the ice and his dedication to playing 100% every shift.

7. "I just think he is overvalued"

Don't you mean "undervalued"?

+1 Burrows FTW

• Upvote 2

Guest gumballthechewy

Also Gillis would be taking a HUGE risk that this new player would mesh with the Sedins as well as Burrows. Many have tried...few are chosen.

I agree with everything you said except this. Anyone can play with the Sedins because they make whoever thay play with better. Just look at Bitz, Carter, even Burrows! I love Burrows and to me it dosn't matter if he's scoring or not, he does so much more, but he's not the only fit nor the best, with the Sedins, a Bertuzzi like player would be ideal.... in a perfect world.......