The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stuck On Homework? **The Homework Thread v0.01** is here!

More-is-on

Hey guys, so I'm a first year Child and Youth Care student at Dougie Daycare :lol:

anyways, I'm writing a report regarding the homeless youth problem in BC and I'm wondering if anyone has more information about the problem that I could use for my background section.

I have checked google scholar and my library catolouge but I only found 2 articles. The more info given to me, the better.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

A farmer who usually uses a balance scale to weigh his wheat was bringing his heaviest stone to the scale. The stone weighed 40 kg. As he is carries the stone it falls to the ground and breaks apart into four pieces. At first he is dismayed, but then he realises that if the pieces of stone weighed certain amounts he would only need to use these and not all the other stones to weigh between 1 kg and 40 kg. How much does each of the four stones weigh in order for the farmer to be able to weigh any amount between 1 and 40 kg?

It goes without saying that one stone has to be 1. That's because this makes any combination of the other three, three times as powerful (by adding or removing one unit). The next number that is far enough away that you don't get overlap with 1 when subtracting 1 is 3.

Then you can add or subtract any amount within 4. Since 1-4 are already covered, 5 (first uncovered) plus 4 (distance cover-able by stones weighing 1 and 3) gives you 9.

Now, you see a pattern emerge. The next number will be 27, as you can see by: 2(1 + 3 + 9) + 1 = 27.

The most spread out, and most bottom-heavy, distribution of stone is therefore powers of 3 starting with 1. Also.. it just so happens 40 is the sum of powers of 3 starting with 3^0.

It goes without saying that one stone has to be 1. That's because this makes any combination of the other three, three times as powerful (by adding or removing one unit). The next number that is far enough away that you don't get overlap with 1 when subtracting 1 is 3.

Then you can add or subtract any amount within 4. Since 1-4 are already covered, 5 (first uncovered) plus 4 (distance cover-able by stones weighing 1 and 3) gives you 9.

Now, you see a pattern emerge. The next number will be 27, as you can see by: 2(1 + 3 + 9) + 1 = 27.

The most spread out, and most bottom-heavy, distribution of stone is therefore powers of 3 starting with 1. Also.. it just so happens 40 is the sum of powers of 3 starting with 3^0.

Archived