The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The HEAVY METAL Thread

canucklehead666

What Genre of Metal do you listen to?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm reviving this thread for some news I got a couple of days ago. I know there are a few here who are into Dream Theater (someone even has the band name as their username). I was huge into them 10-20 years ago but haven't been overly impressed by them for a while. Either way, this news is HUGE:

To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness -- regret -- we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity -- and in the same musical tradition -- that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under "Black Clouds and Silver Linings." As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit Carries On."

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed.

http://www.dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#pressrelease

Awesome to see there's a metal thread on CDC!

Metal is an awesome genre, and I'm a fan of many of its subgenres.

First of all, the traditional mainstream metal always is great - Iron Maiden would be my favorite band, just because of their 30 years of all great albums - they have rocked since the original Iron Maiden album and still do in their latest, The Final Frontier - even the Blaze Bailey albums were good too. I'll also throw Metallica in here too, because I still love everything from Kill 'Em All to The Black Album, and then Death Magnetic was an awesome more recent return to their original style.

Melodeath is probably what I listen to the most of. My favorite here would be Kalmah - a lesser known Finnish band, has a lot of excellent music. They have two real distinctive eras in their music and both I am a fan of - their beginning starting with Swamplord is very melodeath. Songs from this era I'll recommend to all here: Hades, They Will Return, Withering Away, Kill The Idealist, and Heritance of Berija. Later on and presently, they take a little more of a thrash direction starting at the Black Waltz - songs I really love from this era are The Groan of Wind, Mindrust, 12 Gauge, One Of Fail, and also Hook The Monster and One From The Stands are also some good ones. Another band I will strongly recommend is Insomnium, another Finnish melodeath band - some favorites are Daughter Of The Moon, Song Of The Forlorn Son, Mortal Share, and At The Gates Of Sleep. I also recommend a band called Wintersun - they only have one album released at this time (they're working on another one right now though), titled Wintersun. Battle Against Time and Beyond The Dark Sun are excellent songs from this album.

For the more mainstream melodeath, In Flames is also really good (I especially like the Clayman, Colony and Come Clarity albums). Can't forget Children of Bodom on the list too.

If you're looking more for great vocals in your metal, then Sonata Arctica (another Finnish band) is amazing - I think they're more classified under "power metal". Some recommendations by these guys are the tracks Broken, Full Moon, Silver Tongue, Don't Say A Word, Paid In Full, Replica, Picturing The Past, and Blinded No More.

I'm not going to list every metal band I listen to, but a couple more I'd like to mention:

- Deathstars - more of the gothic/industrial type, I found these guys on YouTube, and they've got some really cool tracks - Cyanide and Blitzkrieg are my favorite songs by them, although I have only really listened to their Termination Bliss album.

- Equilibrium - really, this band is quite epic. It's an example of folk metal - I see these guys as melodeath and world music combined as one. They're a German band with all their lyrics in German though, but it has a great sound. Favorites by these guys are Blut Im Auge and Unbesiegt.

That's enough for now.

I must say that I'm surprised that the metal genre I like the most, prog metal, is tops in this poll! I was always under the impression that this was an underappreciated, obscure genre. What the heck do I know....

I leave you with a cool (at least in my mind) prog metal song by Norwegian band Circus Maximus:

Has anyone else bought tickets for As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Unearth and another band I can't remember now. October 7th at The Vouge Theatre. So stoked to see AILD again. 5th or 6th time seeing ATR and they never disapoint. Unearth live I have heard great things about, gonna be a great night.

Has anyone else bought tickets for As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Unearth and another band I can't remember now. October 7th at The Vouge Theatre. So stoked to see AILD again. 5th or 6th time seeing ATR and they never disapoint. Unearth live I have heard great things about, gonna be a great night.

October 7 Mastodon and Alice in Chains are playing at Rogers Arena. I'm very excited for that. Floor "seats"!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

anyone else here excited for the Judas Priest/BLS/Thin Lizzy concert coming up?

seen Black Label once before, and saw Rob Halford open for Ozzy when they came last. so good. Even though they'll technically be opening, really hoping BLS plays more than just a couple songs. Zakk really has a way of owning the stage.

Anyone heard of a band by the name of Bison B.C.? They are from Vancouver. As you may notice from my sig, my favorite band right now is Mastodon and these guys are very similar to them, but with a bit more thrash. Really heavy, sludgy stuff. If you are a fan of Mastodon or Baroness, I highly recommend checking these guys out.

Anyone heard of a band by the name of Bison B.C.? They are from Vancouver. As you may notice from my sig, my favorite band right now is Mastodon and these guys are very similar to them, but with a bit more thrash. Really heavy, sludgy stuff. If you are a fan of Mastodon or Baroness, I highly recommend checking these guys out.

I've been meaning to buy one of their albums. Listened to their stuff on YouTube. It's awesome. Favourite song is two day booze. Oh.. And I can't wait for mastodon's "the hunter", although I'm not really into curl of the Burl.

Archived