The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breast feeding in public

McMillan

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You miss the point. You're being arrogant and condescending while lowering yourself to the very level you claim to be better than. It's hypocritical the way you rag on Ron, and now Nitro. I've read the last few posts between Wetcoaster and Ron, and they were in some cases interesting, and in other cases informative. All you do is jump in and thump your chest and call down the opposition.

As I recall the last time I posted you were championing the legal rights of breastfeeding mothers while proclaiming that there would be violent repercussions for other persons performing legal activities that you personally disagree with, such as fully observing a mother while she publicly breast-feeds. Yes, it's creepy. No, I don't condone or advocate. I do get a bit of a kick out of your arrogant hypocrisy.

Ron may be arguing for the sake of arguing, or arguing to illustrate his perspective. At least he listens to the other side. What you do is try to berate people into being quiet and accepting your view, even if you proclaim otherwise.

I was in a rush and didn't explain my views fully, see above. I certainly don't support an "outright ban," but is it really that hard for women to cover up/be discrete about it while in public?

Respect goes both ways.

Well the argument people have is that it's natural to breast feed, so I brought up urinating and defecating which are of course also natural. The natural argument doesn't belong here, rather it's one of need (babies need to eat) and respect for others. There's nothing discrminatory about being asked to cover up, it's rather about respect...are we really that quick to throw the whole "human rights" book onto every little thing?

And again, I don't care about this issue nor do I think it's a worthy cause to fight against except for some militant mothers who somehow don't understand the whole concept of respect for others.

Also, with the whole H&M thing a few years ago...technically, it's private property and you're not suppose to be eating and drinking inside the store. So why would it be any different for breast feeding?

the more the better, it should be up to the mother whether she wants to cover up or not (most would choose to do so i would think) and it's up to the people who might get offended to look the other way. odds are that's how they were fed, it's natural and healthy.

^ bat crap crazy? lmao, look in the mirror. Bleeding hearts, politically correct...oh my, what you people will do to bend over to every little thing.

Look at the poll, a majority in this forum thinks there needs to be at least some sort of discretion.

There are many, many laws and "rights" I don't agree with...not that I would break them as an idiotic violent protester would do, but it certainly doesn't make it right.

Regardless, I couldn't care less about the issue but for principle's sake something is quite wrong with the whole idea of being able to throw in the whole discrimination/HR book if women have been told otherwise...

My final word.

why should they cover up? Breast is fat. Does the fat guy have to cover up on the beach that also has breasts? North America has made womens breasts a taboo thing. As I said before, go to Europe and people don't care. The only people that ever make a big deal out of it in Europe are usually tourists from North America. The way some people eat in restaurants, they should cover up too. Some can be right pigs, but that is their choosing and as a society we have to be tolerant of others. You saying a woman should have to cover up to respect others, well maybe others should respect a womans right to feed her baby when she wants. You are not being tolerant at all.

why should they cover up? Breast is fat. Does the fat guy have to cover up on the beach that also has breasts? North America has made womens breasts a taboo thing. As I said before, go to Europe and people don't care. The only people that ever make a big deal out of it in Europe are usually tourists from North America. The way some people eat in restaurants, they should cover up too. Some can be right pigs, but that is their choosing and as a society we have to be tolerant of others. You saying a woman should have to cover up to respect others, well maybe others should respect a womans right to feed her baby when she wants. You are not being tolerant at all.

If a North American tries to hug an Asian person, the Asian thinks that the north American is infringing on their trrritory and personal space.

If the mankini-clad European walks down Robson St on any given Saturday, the North American would think that the European is too over-the-top with his style of dress and should tone it down.

My point is, different geographies have their own set of cultural values and morals. While the European is more open to their body, the Asian (in general) will be much more conservative. Does it make one culture superior to the other? No. All it means is that people in different parts of the world will react differently to the same event. That being said, I will get on my soapbox now and ask why it isn't the case that people generally make the more conservative choice in order to offend the least?

I also find it funny that you say others are not tolerant, when you yourself are not being tolerant of nitro's opinions. As well, you are also not being tolerant of a culture's values and norms.

Do you have any idea why they move over to North America? Money. I will use Germany as an example.

Taxes taken off your paycheck - up to 52%

Gasoline per litre - $1.88

food is more expensive

cars are more expensive

Germany is still known for their workers being some of the best trained and making the highest quality around the world. SOunds like North America is way ahead.

We are moving to Australia from Germany. Not because Germany is not ahead of Australia but because my wife will make more then triple what she makes in Germany as a doctor. Why is the wage so low for a doctor in Germany? Well in her semester alone in Berlin there were over 500 doctors graduating. There is no doctor shortage here. Now how far behind is Europe? In high end jobs North Americans make more money then their counterparts in Europe with a lower cost of living.

Archived