The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

didn't see the quote?

obviously there's no such thing as 'earth goddess' but rather "a common personification of nature...in the form of the mother."

Shintoism?

I didn't understand your intention that it was a quote, no. Still, I assume you were quoting it because you felt it was accurate so its still funny to me.

Edited by theminister

An amazing survivor story - a 60 year old man was washed 15 kms out to sea and survived for two days sitting on part of the roof of his house. His wife unfortunately is still missing when swept out to sea.

_51656842_011516934-1.jpg

A 60-year-old man has been rescued from the roof of his floating home far out at sea, two days after a tsunami devastated Japan's north-east coast.

Hiromitsu Shinkawa was found by a defence ministry destroyer 15km (10 miles) from shore, officials said.

Mr Shinkawa's house in Minami Soma city in Fukushima prefecture had been ripped from its foundations and swept away by the retreating tsunami.

He was spotted waving a piece of red cloth, while clinging to the wreckage.

Mr Shinkawa told his rescuers that the tsunami had hit as he and his wife returned home to gather some possessions after the earthquake, and that his wife was swept away.

She is still missing.

"Several helicopters and ships passed by, but none of them noticed me. I thought that day was going to be the last day of my life," he was quoted as saying by a defence agency spokesman.

"I ran away after I heard a tsunami was coming. But I turned back to fetch something from home and was swept away. I was rescued while hanging on to the roof of my house," he said.

Mr Shinkawa was reported to be in "good condition" after being taken to hospital by helicopter.

Military officials said mild weather and relatively calm seas had helped him stay adrift for 48 hours, Kyodo news agency reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12727282

An amazing survivor story - a 60 year old man was washed 15 kms out to sea and survived for two days sitting on part of the roof of his house. His wife unfortunately is still missing when swept out to sea.

_51656842_011516934-1.jpg

A 60-year-old man has been rescued from the roof of his floating home far out at sea, two days after a tsunami devastated Japan's north-east coast.

Hiromitsu Shinkawa was found by a defence ministry destroyer 15km (10 miles) from shore, officials said.

Mr Shinkawa's house in Minami Soma city in Fukushima prefecture had been ripped from its foundations and swept away by the retreating tsunami.

He was spotted waving a piece of red cloth, while clinging to the wreckage.

Mr Shinkawa told his rescuers that the tsunami had hit as he and his wife returned home to gather some possessions after the earthquake, and that his wife was swept away.

She is still missing.

"Several helicopters and ships passed by, but none of them noticed me. I thought that day was going to be the last day of my life," he was quoted as saying by a defence agency spokesman.

"I ran away after I heard a tsunami was coming. But I turned back to fetch something from home and was swept away. I was rescued while hanging on to the roof of my house," he said.

Mr Shinkawa was reported to be in "good condition" after being taken to hospital by helicopter.

Military officials said mild weather and relatively calm seas had helped him stay adrift for 48 hours, Kyodo news agency reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12727282

That is amazing.

I hope they find his wife too, although just him surviving is nothing short of a miracle.

About 90 minutes ago the BBC's correspondent Chris Hogg in Tokyo reports on radiation concerns and the possibility of another large magnitude quake:

"Hundreds of thousands of people here are being checked for exposure to radiation. They have been ordered to leave their homes in a wide area around the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power plant. Technicians there are struggling to make safe reactors damaged by the quake and wall of water that swept through the complex. For a time, leaks of radiation were detected that exceeded safety limits. Officials say the levels have since declined. Fukushima is not the only plant with problems, though. Another, further north, has been damaged too."

"Strong aftershocks across the country are adding to the risks those tasked with rescuing survivors face. Swathes of the country are without power. From Monday, the government will start rationing it. Prime Minister Naoto Kan says Japan is facing its worst crisis in 60 years. The country's meteorological agency is warning there is a strong chance there will be second quake within the next three days. No-one can be certain where or when, but the prediction is worrying people here. They have survived the worst quake in living memory and they do not want to go through it all again."

The official death toll has risen to 1,596, Japanese state broadcaster NHK says. Miyagi prefecture has now confirmed 643 deaths in the cities of Higashimatsushima, Kesennuma and Sendai. The number of people whose whereabouts are unknown exceeds 10,000.

The BBC's Damian Grammaticus in the north-eastern city of Sendai (near the quake epicentre)says the tsunami did the greatest damge as as many as 10,000 people in that area could be dead:

"In the city centre, things look pretty normal. The earthquake did not do the damage that the tsunami did. Around here, everything looks pretty much intact. But what you find is that during the day time, there were huge queues of people outside the few shops which were open. Food and drinking water are in short supply. However, when you go down to the seashore, you see the devastation. Every community located in a zone a couple of miles deep along the coast has been obliterated by the tsunami. One woman who goes to the area every week told me that she did not know where she was now."

"In the tiny village of Hikashiro, we found every house smashed, trees rammed through buildings, and debris everywhere. One old man told us that the faster people ran, the more chance they had of surviving. Thirty people were still missing, he said. The whole area is a sea of mud. To flee the tsunami, people fled in their cars. Some did not make it. I watched as search teams found a body in a mini-van the waves had dumped in a flooded field. In another field, I counted 50 cars. The local police chief says 10,000 may have died in his area alone. Often, there are new tsunami alerts caused by new tremors and everyone has to evacuate. The natural order of things has been shaken here, and nobody knows when it will settle down again."

World Nuclear News has more information on the situation at the Onagawa nuclear power plant: It says a "technical emergency" was declared at 1250 after radiation levels at the site reached 21 microSieverts per hour. Within just 10 minutes, however, the level had dropped to 10 microSieverts per hour, WNN adds. The plant's three reactors remain in a safe shutdown condition at below 100C and the Tohoku Electric Power Company has reported no other issues. WNN says the area around the Onagawa nuclear plant was hit very hard by the tsunami and about 200 survivors are sheltering in the power plant's administration building. Radiation levels there are said to be normal.

Japan's industries are being hard hit. Toyota, the world's top carmaker, Nissan and Honda are all suspending production at all their plants in Japan, starting Monday. When production will resume is uncertain. Toyota has 12 factories in the country, while Nissan has three. Honda said the decision would halt its production of 4,000 vehicles a day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

• Upvote 1

According to US authorities as it stands at the moment the west coast of North America does not appear to be in danger of any severe radioactivity being swept in by the jet stream. The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has said it does not foresee harmful levels of radiation reaching the US from the damaged Japanese nuclear power plants. "All the available information indicates weather conditions have taken the small releases from the Fukushima reactors out to sea away from the population," a statement said. "Given the thousands of miles between the two countries, Hawaii, Alaska, the US Territories and the US West Coast are not expected to experience any harmful levels of radioactivity."

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/news/2011/11-046.pdf

Shintoism?

I didn't understand your intention that it was a quote, no. Still, I assume you were quoting it because you felt it was accurate so its still funny to me.

you're clearly overanalyzing the fact the person said 'mother nature' as though some sort of an earth goddess exists..no hypocrisy here buddy, nice try

also, that quote was probably in response to youtube comments like

Cant help but share a Bible verse that spells this out in detail. Luke 21:25-28. Thanks friend for updates. When i saw these events at 5 this morning i threw a vid up. Trying to inform but at the same time give perspective. Take care.

Well, it could be the earthquakes triggering the volcanoes. Or it could be the fact that the volcanoes were getting ready to erupt and caused the earthquakes. And, I don't know if it means anything at all. But, the bible does say there will be earthquakes fires and floods in the end days.

On topic: Has anyone else noticed how they keep replaying the EXACT same crap on CNN? For almost 48 hours I've heard the same news about the plants.

CNN is pap for 'Murican mush heads. You cannot make it to complex so simplify and repeat - Faux News is even worse.

That is why I follow NHK's English language televison news - it is being broadcast online:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/

Also BBC's Asia/Pacific coverage is very good:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12711226

BBC broadcasts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

CBC's News is much superior to CNN.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/

CBC special coverage of the quake and its aftermath:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/03/11/f-japan-earthquake-topix.html

According to US authorities as it stands at the moment the west coast of North America does not appear to be in danger of any severe radioactivity being swept in by the jet stream. The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has said it does not foresee harmful levels of radiation reaching the US from the damaged Japanese nuclear power plants. "All the available information indicates weather conditions have taken the small releases from the Fukushima reactors out to sea away from the population," a statement said. "Given the thousands of miles between the two countries, Hawaii, Alaska, the US Territories and the US West Coast are not expected to experience any harmful levels of radioactivity."

http://www.nrc.gov/r...2011/11-046.pdf

And that's why folks shouldn't panic and incite panic in others before getting information from credible sources........and not places likes InfoWars.

Health risk from Japan reactor seems quite low: WHO

GENEVA | Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:26am EDT

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization (WHO) said Saturday that the public health risk from Japan's radiation leak appeared to be "quite low" but the WHO network of medical experts was ready to assist if requested.

"At this moment it appears to be the case that the public health risk is probably quite low. We understand radiation that has escaped from the plant is very small in amount," World Health Organization spokesman Gregory Hartl told Reuters.

Radiation leaked from an earthquake-crippled nuclear plant in Japan Saturday after a blast blew off the roof, and authorities were preparing to distribute iodine to local people to protect them from exposure.

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay in Geneva; editing by Tim Pearce)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/13/us-japan-quake-health-who-idUSTRE72B2XK20110313

Japan fights to avert nuclear meltdown after quake

FUKUSHIMA, Japan | Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:05pm EDT

FUKUSHIMA, Japan (Reuters) - Japan struggled on Monday to avert a nuclear disaster and care for millions of people without power or water, three days after an earthquake and tsunami killed an estimated 10,000 people or more in the nation's darkest hour since World War Two.

The world's third-largest economy opens for business later on Monday, a badly wounded nation that has seen whole villages and towns wiped off the map by a wall of water, leaving in its wake an international humanitarian effort of epic proportion.

A grim-faced Prime Minister Naoto Kan described the crisis at Japan's worst since 1945, as officials confirmed that three nuclear reactors were at risk of overheating, raising fears of an uncontrolled radiation leak.

"The earthquake, tsunami and the nuclear incident have been the biggest crisis Japan has encountered in the 65 years since the end of World War II," Kan told a news conference.

"We're under scrutiny on whether we, the Japanese people, can overcome this crisis."

As he spoke, officials worked desperately to stop fuel rods in the damaged reactors from overheating. If they fail, the containers that house the core could melt, or even explode, releasing radioactive material into the atmosphere.

The most urgent crisis centers on the Fukushima Daiichi complex, where all three reactors are threatening to overheat, and where authorities say they have been forced to release radioactive steam into the air to relieve reactor pressure.

The complex, 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, was rocked by an explosion on Saturday, which blew the roof off a reactor building. The government did not rule out further blasts there but said this would not necessarily damage the reactor vessels.

Authorities have poured sea water in all three of the complex's reactor to cool them down.

FEARS OVER OTHER REACTORS

The complex, run by Tokyo Electric Power Co, is the biggest nuclear concern but not the only one: on Monday, the U.N. nuclear watchdog said Japanese authorities had notified it of an emergency at another plant further north, at Onagawa.

But Japan's nuclear safety agency denied problems at the Onagawa plant, run by Tohoku Electric Power Co, noting that radioactive releases from the Fukushima Daiichi complex had been detected at Onagawa, but that these were within safe levels at a tiny fraction of the radiation received in an x-ray.

Shortly later, a cooling-system problem was reported at another nuclear plant closer to Tokyo, in Ibaraki prefecture.

Fukushima's No. 1 reactor, where the roof was ripped off, is 40 years old and was originally set to go out of commission in February but had its operating license extended by 10 years.

Prime Minister Kan said the crisis was not another Chernobyl, referring to the nuclear disaster of 1986 in Soviet Ukraine....

Arcticle continues... http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/13/us-japan-quake-idUSTRE72A0SS20110313

I got some faith in the Japanese.....not to generalise or sterotype, even if positively, but japanese workers seem like the kind that'd die trying to do everything they could to prevent a meltdown. We'll see what actually happens.

• Upvote 1

And that's why folks shouldn't panic and incite panic in others before getting information from credible sources........and not places likes InfoWars.

I got some faith in the Japanese.....not to generalise or sterotype, even if positively, but japanese workers seem like the kind that'd die trying to do everything they could to prevent a meltdown. We'll see what actually happens.

I agree. They don't give up.

Also you'd think the entire world would have top scientists helping out behind the scenes.

Japan earthquake magnitude now raised to 9.0.

Japan's Meteorological Agency says the magnitude of Friday's earthquake that hit the Pacific coast of northeastern Japan was 9.0 instead of 8.8 as earlier announced.

The agency made the correction on Sunday morning after analyzing seismic waves and other data. The magnitude is equivalent to that of the 2004 earthquake off Sumatra, Indonesia, which triggered massive tsunamis in the Indian Ocean.

The agency says the focal zone of Friday's quake was about 500-kilometers long and 200-kilometers wide. Destructive movement along the fault continued for more than 5 minutes.

The Meteorological Agency says only 4 other quakes in the world have recorded magnitudes of 9 or over.

The largest was the magnitude 9.5 quake that hit the Chilean coast in 1960, killing more than 1,600. The quake also triggered tsunamis in Japan, leaving 142 people dead.

The 2004 quake off Sumatra registered a magnitude of 9.1. Subsequent giant tsunamis killed more than 200,000 people.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/13_21.html

Japan earthquake magnitude now raised to 9.0.

Japan's Meteorological Agency says the magnitude of Friday's earthquake that hit the Pacific coast of northeastern Japan was 9.0 instead of 8.8 as earlier announced.

The agency made the correction on Sunday morning after analyzing seismic waves and other data. The magnitude is equivalent to that of the 2004 earthquake off Sumatra, Indonesia, which triggered massive tsunamis in the Indian Ocean.

The agency says the focal zone of Friday's quake was about 500-kilometers long and 200-kilometers wide. Destructive movement along the fault continued for more than 5 minutes.

The Meteorological Agency says only 4 other quakes in the world have recorded magnitudes of 9 or over.

The largest was the magnitude 9.5 quake that hit the Chilean coast in 1960, killing more than 1,600. The quake also triggered tsunamis in Japan, leaving 142 people dead.

The 2004 quake off Sumatra registered a magnitude of 9.1. Subsequent giant tsunamis killed more than 200,000 people.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/13_21.html

Your article says it was an 8.8, I thought it was an 8.9 ? Not that it's a HUGE difference, only about 1.6 times stronger, but just wondering. Also, it really doesn't matter anymore that it's neither.