The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

2 tickets + 2 t-shirts for $65 for the October 6th game @ BC Place vs. RSL on Groupon. Sick deal, don't sleep on it. I have school that night grrr :(

Canucks home opener that night :P

I remember before on group-on it was 2 tickets and Fifa 2011 for $50 I think.

Except the game was on the same day as a Canuck playoff game lol

A friend surprised me with tickets to the whitecaps game on october 2nd.

I just wanted to know when i should be at bc place if the games scheduled to start at 1:30pm?

Doors open probably an hour prior to the game. It should be a good game to go to as we are playing a rival, not just on the pitch, but there will be a battle amongst the supporter groups too. Make sure you look out for the tifo before the start of the match.

Doors open probably an hour prior to the game. It should be a good game to go to as we are playing a rival, not just on the pitch, but there will be a battle amongst the supporter groups too. Make sure you look out for the tifo before the start of the match.

what is tifo??

Gonna go to the game tomorrow. Can't wait to check out the newly refurbished stadium and the giant score board

what is tifo??

Gonna go to the game tomorrow. Can't wait to check out the newly refurbished stadium and the giant score board

It's basically just flags and banners and such and there's usually special ones made for derby games that appear just before the game starts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tifo

I don't know what to expect and it's not gonna be as great as some of the euro teams, but the southsiders are saying they have something special planned.

Ughhh worst nightmare confirmed: The draping system is atrocious. Hopefully they can tinker with it but the way it is now they'd be better off leaving the upper bowl exposed.

Football lines did not powerwash off very well.. yikes field looks pretty lousy.

Edited by bobopan

They spent $500+ million and they couldn't get a grass field in there? :(

Turf is ruining soccer.

They could but they are not gonna do it. because this is not a permanent soccer pitch and BC Place is a multipurpose stadium which is used for a lot of different event.

Well the game went pretty much as expected no surprise there.

As far as how BC place portrayed on tv i'll need some more convincing this is a good home for the whitecaps; its going to have to be seeing as they have a 20 year lease.

I am curious to see how the players liked the field, was disappointed in the way it looked visually as we've seen with the same product in Salzburg and with Bayern Munich training ground their turf looks almost real and having those mower lines look. Personally the turf looked well like green carpet....

I am in no position to criticize the supporter groups but this is the 2nd game in a row where strictly from a t.v. aspect if you didn't know better you'd thought this game was being played in the oppositions building. They were loud and in unison, very impressive.

The timbers army was much closer to the mics

that's not really the real reason though..

They have entire upper half of 1 section occupied, i guess at least 200+ fans there.. All dressed up and prepared to take the house down. The sign, dance for ENTIRE game. On the other hand, the Southsiders are sitting are the far far corner and I could barely hear them. (i sat near the corner flag, the lower section of the same one where the Timer fans were). To be honest with you, the Timber fans are really passionate and they were friendly too. One thing that surprised me was that they cheered when we sang the Canadian anthem. I met a few of them at the food stand and they were all friendly. The stadium itself is nice, very clean and u can see high LCD tv everywhere. on the other hand, the turf sucks.. seems like they can do a lot better than that. I took a lot of picture of the stadium, anyone wants me to post them?

that's not really the real reason though..

They have entire upper half of 1 section occupied, i guess at least 200+ fans there.. All dressed up and prepared to take the house down. The sign, dance for ENTIRE game. On the other hand, the Southsiders are sitting are the far far corner and I could barely hear them. (i sat near the corner flag, the lower section of the same one where the Timer fans were). To be honest with you, the Timber fans are really passionate and they were friendly too. One thing that surprised me was that they cheered when we sang the Canadian anthem. I met a few of them at the food stand and they were all friendly. The stadium itself is nice, very clean and u can see high LCD tv everywhere. on the other hand, the turf sucks.. seems like they can do a lot better than that. I took a lot of picture of the stadium, anyone wants me to post them?

That's a big part of why they come through clearer on TV though. I was in section 230 (same end as the timbers army but other corner) and the Southsiders seemed to start off a bit slow but really picked it up during the first half. In the 2nd half things were pretty dead though. I guess that's what happens when your team looks like they aren't putting any effort in at all

That's a big part of why they come through clearer on TV though. I was in section 230 (same end as the timbers army but other corner) and the Southsiders seemed to start off a bit slow but really picked it up during the first half. In the 2nd half things were pretty dead though. I guess that's what happens when your team looks like they aren't putting any effort in at all

First half was dominated by the Timbers. However, the goal they scored was because of (one of the many) mistake we made and poor coverage. The Caps had more possession in the 2nd half, but you can see that despite their effort they couldn't generate any offense. Hassli once again was the targeted man and was being watched by 2 or 3 Timbers when he got the ball. To be honest though, it was clearly that the Caps does not have enough quality players on the pitch. This is their first season so i cut them some slack (rmb this is first season of the Timbers too) . Anyways I wish they could put the Southsiders where the Timbers' fans are.. not sure why they would put them into the far corner

The Southsiders sit in the south side (hence the name), and they're off to the side instead of directly behind the net because of the way the Whitecaps decided to price the tickets. They're in a cheaper section so that they wouldn't exclude people who can't pay for more expensive seats. You keep referring to it as the "far corner" though.. It was only that because of where you sat. The Timbers Army were in the "far corner" for everyone who sat near the Southsiders, so I'm not really sure what you mean by that

The Caps "dominated" possession (almost 62%) but they couldn't create anything out of it. For a good part of the match it looked like most of the players have never played with each other before. They looked like they didn't have any chemistry at all

The Southsiders have had a lot more obstacles to overcome than other supporter groups. Seattle and Portland go out of their way to help their supporter groups whereas in Vancouver, they make them jump through hoops.

Plus Portland has had their TA in large numbers for many years, it didn't take them to get to the MLS before they had their support.

The Southsiders can be better, but people need to help make the atmosphere, not expect them to do everything for your experience. If we do not want the ECS or TA to show us up in our building, then everyone there needs to step up and drown them out. The fun part of soccer is that it's not just a battle on the pitch, but it's also in the stands, especially for derby matches.