The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

How long is this team saddled with Jarju?

I believe he's under contract for 3 more seasons. Which sucks. I don't even know where this guy slots in. Even if the Whitecaps run with a 4-3-3 (which they should), I don't think he finds a place as a striker. And so far the guy certainly hasn't shown the ball control needed to be a midfielder.

To give you an idea of where he stands with the club, we left him unprotected in the expansion draft. One in which we protected Salinas (who we ended up releasing a couple weeks later), and Long Tan. On the depth chart, I'd say he currently ranks below Camilo, Hassli, Salgado, Atiba Harris, Long Tan, and I'm assuming Mattocks as well.

To be fair to the Whitecaps, it does seem like they've been actively trying to get rid of Jarju and his contract, but it sucks that it's been to no avail. You don't want a situation where your new coach is pressured into playing a guy just because of his salary/contract.

I believe he's under contract for 3 more seasons. Which sucks. I don't even know where this guy slots in. Even if the Whitecaps run with a 4-3-3 (which they should), I don't think he finds a place as a striker. And so far the guy certainly hasn't shown the ball control needed to be a midfielder.

To give you an idea of where he stands with the club, we left him unprotected in the expansion draft. One in which we protected Salinas (who we ended up releasing a couple weeks later), and Long Tan. On the depth chart, I'd say he currently ranks below Camilo, Hassli, Salgado, Atiba Harris, Long Tan, and I'm assuming Mattocks as well.

To be fair to the Whitecaps, it does seem like they've been actively trying to get rid of Jarju and his contract, but it sucks that it's been to no avail. You don't want a situation where your new coach is pressured into playing a guy just because of his salary/contract.

Leaving him unprotected was more of a strategic move imo. It's a salary cap league and yes he didn't prove his worth in his half season here, so it was a way to have a player unprotected while knowing he likely won't be taken. Salinas was protected, but he was actually traded later for allocation money which was likely used to keep LYP's contract low enough to not make him a DP as well. At this current time, your ranking may be correct, but I'll give him a chance to prove himself coming into the season with a fitness level matching the rest of the league. To be fair, he looked like he was trying to make plays that the rest of the team didn't really lock into. Given a full training camp and preseason with the Whitecaps and hopefully he shows up as the player we would like him to be. My opinion could change very quickly, but I would like to have a positive outlook for the team to start.

Leaving him unprotected was more of a strategic move imo. It's a salary cap league and yes he didn't prove his worth in his half season here, so it was a way to have a player unprotected while knowing he likely won't be taken. Salinas was protected, but he was actually traded later for allocation money which was likely used to keep LYP's contract low enough to not make him a DP as well. At this current time, your ranking may be correct, but I'll give him a chance to prove himself coming into the season with a fitness level matching the rest of the league. To be fair, he looked like he was trying to make plays that the rest of the team didn't really lock into. Given a full training camp and preseason with the Whitecaps and hopefully he shows up as the player we would like him to be. My opinion could change very quickly, but I would like to have a positive outlook for the team to start.

I don't know why I had it in my mind that Salinas was released outright, but yeah, managing to sign a guy like Lee Young-Pyo without a DP designation was sweet.

About Jarju, I could see them giving him half the season, but I'm just not optimistic about his future with the team. Agreed that he was thrown into a bit of a sink or swim situation the way he came in last summer, but he really did sink like a rock.

I don't know why I had it in my mind that Salinas was released outright, but yeah, managing to sign a guy like Lee Young-Pyo without a DP designation was sweet.

About Jarju, I could see them giving him half the season, but I'm just not optimistic about his future with the team. Agreed that he was thrown into a bit of a sink or swim situation the way he came in last summer, but he really did sink like a rock.

The quality of the team last year was quite poor. Hopefully Rennie can right the ship and make Jarju useful. I am liking the depth of the team right now and I'm optimistic for this coming season. Anything better than last will be a positive for the team.

whitecaps sign midfielder davidson http://tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=385541

and goalie Knighton

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=385321

and here's what caps did at the supplemental draft

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=385320

The Vancouver Whitecaps took defender Gienir Garcia from Mexican club Cruz Azul second overall, but traded him to Montreal later in the day for the discovery rights to Maltese international striker Etienne Barbara.

Vancouver then selected defender Greg Klazura of Notre Dame in the second round. They picked goalkeeper Andrew Fontein of UC Irvine in the third round and defender Mark Fetrow in the fourth.

Jarju is gone.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/01/jarju-and-davies-move

"Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that the club has parted ways with striker Mustapha Jarju. The club and player mutually agreed to a contract termination earlier today. Whitecaps FC also confirmed that it has declined the 2012 contract option on midfielder Philippe Davies and the two parties were unable to come to terms on a new agreement. Should Davies choose to continue his career within Major League Soccer, Vancouver will have the right of first refusal for the player."

Mutually agreeing to a contract termination... not bad.

Jarju is gone.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/01/jarju-and-davies-move

"Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that the club has parted ways with striker Mustapha Jarju. The club and player mutually agreed to a contract termination earlier today. Whitecaps FC also confirmed that it has declined the 2012 contract option on midfielder Philippe Davies and the two parties were unable to come to terms on a new agreement. Should Davies choose to continue his career within Major League Soccer, Vancouver will have the right of first refusal for the player."

Mutually agreeing to a contract termination... not bad.

Well so much for being optimistic for him. This could mean another DP is in the works.

Sucks that Davies never got a chance last year. I wish the best for him and Jarju wherever they end up.

Great news about Jarju. Would also assume this clears the way for another DP to slot in. Regardless of whether or not someone is coming in, this will prompt some unbounded fan speculation.

Not at all happy about Davies though. I would have to guess that Rennie wasn't happy with what he saw, but to throw out a homegrown Canadian player before giving him a chance to play... I dunno. I assume he's clearing up space for all his old Railhawks he's bringing in. I'm not in a position to judge, as I've never seen any of those guys play, but it seems like that's a whole lot of player spots he's dedicated to them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vancouver Whitecaps have acquired Frenchmen Le Toux from Philly. Le Toux was in the top 5 in scoring for mls for the last 2 years. Also, should keep Hassli happy. Don't know what's heading the other way but a really great move for the club.

LE TOUX and HASSLI quite possibly the best forward combination in MLS this year

The Vancouver Whitecaps have acquired Frenchmen Le Toux from Philly. Le Toux was in the top 5 in scoring for mls for the last 2 years. Also, should keep Hassli happy. Don't know what's heading the other way but a really great move for the club.

LE TOUX and HASSLI quite possibly the best forward combination in MLS this year

That french combo up front scares me.

I think the Whitecaps will unload at least 1 striker though, seems like they are loaded up up front. That being said, goals were never hard to come by for them last season, the bigger issue seemed to be keeping goals out (especially late).

The biggest question for me is whether or not they have addressed their defensive issues properly going into the next season.

You forgot one of the best players on the team in Rochat. Plus you have 3 centerbacks in the starting lineup and your right back is out of position.

Lee plays LB or RB.

That french combo up front scares me.

I think the Whitecaps will unload at least 1 striker though, seems like they are loaded up up front. That being said, goals were never hard to come by for them last season, the bigger issue seemed to be keeping goals out (especially late).

The biggest question for me is whether or not they have addressed their defensive issues properly going into the next season.

Le Toux is a good acquisition although he didn't sound very happy about the trade on Twitter. I would have liked to see the Whitecaps reinforce their midfield.

I think Rennie said that he'd probably use one or two of his forwards in a midfield role, with the slight implication that we could see Harris and Le Toux as attacking midfielders.

I'd stick with a 4-4-2 and go diamond in the middle, similar to what the Canadian women did. Have Le Toux at the top of the diamond.

I think people are blowing Le Toux's initial reaction on twitter out of proportion. I would think it's a shock to be traded, regardless of what sport you play, especially if you weren't expecting it.....

bye bye Jarju...hello Le toux. 12 goals for Camilo last year. 11 for hassli 11 for Le toux ...scoring should not be a problem. If our Back line can stay Healthy and build chemistry I think it will be fine as well. Its the midfield especially defensivly I am still worried about.

Lee plays LB or RB.

Le Toux is a good acquisition although he didn't sound very happy about the trade on Twitter. I would have liked to see the Whitecaps reinforce their midfield.

He had Lee as a CB. Rochat is one of the best LB in the league and Rennie has stated that Lee will be a RB.

He seemed upset that his time with Philadelphia was over, but he seems like he's excited to be playing for Vancouver. I agree about the midfield, but if an offer like this comes around, it's pretty hard to pass up. He's not a DP and not an international and was responsible for 57% of Philly's offense during his time there. We still have an international spot and some cap room to look for a midfield general.

Here's where the drama is stemming from:

http://www.timesherald.com/article/20120131/SPORTS03/120139878&pager=full_story

Sounds like the Union bosses are a bunch of dicks.