The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

The Vancouver Police Board is currently meeting and discussing the riot - live coverage:

http://live.theprovince.com/Event/Vancouver_Police_Board_discusses_Stanley_Cup_riot

8771a08d-524e-4bba-8e1e-cf71f0570496_500.jpg

Thirty-seven people have turned themselves in to police and 111 are under investigation as a result of the June 15 Stanley Cup riot in Vancouver, Chief of Police Jim Chu said at a Vancouver Police Board meeting today.

Police say they have 1,500 hours of video to review and 15,000 images, an "unprecedented volume of data." In addition to the 111 people being investigated now, hundreds more have been identified and will become subjects of investigation in the coming months.

It was the board's first formal opportunity to discuss police response to the disorder that broke out downtown following the Vancouver Canucks' loss in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

Mayor Gregor Robertson, avoiding use of the word "riot" to describe the incident, praised Chu's leadership and said much had been learned since a similar occurrence in 1994.

Coun. Suzanne Anton called the riot a "black eye" that may have undone Vancouver's Olympic legacy. She commended Chief Chu and the VPD for their work during the riot, but did not mention Robertson's role. She insisted that future plans for such public events be debated by city council.

Anton has announced her plans to run for mayor against Robertson in the coming fall municipal election.

Only seven of the 37 rioters who have turned themselves in are from Vancouver. Most have been from the suburbs. Seven of them are female.

Those who have turned themselves in come from the following communities, broken down by the VPD:

9 Surrey

7 Vancouver

4 Maple Ridge

3 Burnaby

2 Abbotsford

2 Delta

2 New Westminster

2 North Vancouver

1 Comox

1 Coquitlam

1 Langley

1 Tofino

1 Victoria

1 West Bank

by Erik Rolfsen at 2:50 PM

VPD Chief Jim Chu expects several hundred people will be charged related to the riot - note that a person could face multiple charges.

Vancouver police chief Jim Chu said Wednesday he expects "several hundred people" will be charged as a result of the Stanley Cup Riot.

In his first public statements in more than a month, Chu told the Vancouver Police Board that an integrated team made up of 50 police officers and civilian experts are poring over thousands of tips and reviewing more than 15,000 images sent to the police department in the wake of the June 15 riot.

So far only 37 people have turned themselves in, and police are resisting charging them until the investigative team has completely examined all the evidence, Chu said. Thats' because the police want to be sure that those who have come forward fully disclose their involvement in the riot.

At the same board meeting Coun. Suzanne Anton made an unprecedented appearance and asked for the board to consider making changes that would help prevent a riot in future. Anton, who is running for mayor in November under the Non-Partisan Association, dismissed reporters' suggestions later that she was "grandstanding" for political purposes.

Anton asked the board to make sure that in future all arrangements for fan zones are approved by city council before being put in place. She said later that Mayor Gregor Robertson -- who is also the chair of the police board -- never submitted his plan for fan zones to council before the Stanley Cup playoffs and the result "was that the police department had to deal with them."

The riot has sparked several internal city and police department reviews as well as provincial review being conducted by former Vanoc chair John Furlong and former Nova Scotia bureaucrat Doug Keefe.

Chu provided little new information about the department's handling of the riot, but he was given broad compliments from Robertson, Anton and several police board members.

The chief said his officers identified at least 202 "recorded incidents" involving anywhere from one to 300 people. To date the department has received 4,300 email tips, 1,700 emails requiring investigation, and 1,500 hours of video.

He said of the 37 people who have turned themselves in, seven came from Vancouver, nine from Surrey, two from Abbotsford, three from Burnaby, four from Maple Ridge and the rest from around the Lower Mainland and the province.

Chu said the range of charges being considered range from participating in a riot to assault, assaulting a police officer, theft, robbery, arson, possession of weapons and possession of stolen property.

Hometowns of the 37 people (30 males, seven females) who have turned themselves in in connection to the Stanley Cup riot:

7 Vancouver

9 Surrey

2 Abbotsford

3 Burnaby

1 Coquitlam

2 New Westminster

2 Delta

2 North Vancouver

4 Maple Ridge

1 Victoria

1 Tofino

1 Comox

1 West Bank

1 Langley

Some of the alleged crimes being investigated, according to Vancouver police:

· participating in a riot

· assault

· assaulting a peace officer

· mischief

· break and enter

· theft

· robbery

· arson

· weapons possession

· possession of stolen property

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Several+hundred+people+will+face+Stanley+riot+charges+police+chief/5133420/story.html#ixzz1SgcXc9F3

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like more duck and cover from Mayor Gregor and his minions over the planning and implementation of the fan zones for the Stanley Cup finals. Brand Live Group, a Yaletown event production company was contracted to manage the Stanley Cup fan zone only two days before the June 1 face-off of the seven-game series.

The Vancouver Courier rooted out the information but received no response to repeated Monday phone calls and emails to Mayor Gregor Robertson’s assistant Kevin Quinlan, city manager Penny Ballem and acting chief purchasing officer Terry Levins. Spokeswoman Wendy Stewart said, via email: “We will be in a position to consider release of the information once the contract documents are assembled and the third-party notification process is complete.”

The contract has not been posted nor disclosed at the City of Vancouver website as is the usual process.

Fan zone site manager hired two days before Stanley Cup final series

City not disclosing records of fan site until September

Vancouver city hall hired a Yaletown event production company to manage the Stanley Cup fan zone only two days before the June 1 face-off of the seven-game series, the Courier has learned.

“We were brought in at the last minute to do some coordination of the installation and removal of the screens and overall site coordination,” Paul Runnals, Brand Live Group’s senior vice-president of production, told the Courier. “Basically we were called in on the Monday afternoon [May 30] for a game that happened on a Wednesday. It was just a question of the city handing us a plan—‘here's what we want to do, please coordinate it’.”

Runnals declined to say how much Brand Live was paid. As of Monday morning, no information about the contract had been posted to the city’s procurement website. Last week, city hall responded to a June 17-filed Freedom of Information request by postponing disclosure of various records about the June 15 riot—including the list of fan zone contracts and values—until mid-September.

City engineer Peter Judd said before the June 15 riot that the fan zone would cost taxpayers $680,000. Damage from the riot could be as much as $5 million.

The Courier received no response to repeated Monday phone calls and emails to Mayor Gregor Robertson’s assistant Kevin Quinlan, city manager Penny Ballem and acting chief purchasing officer Terry Levins. Spokeswoman Wendy Stewart said, via email: “We will be in a position to consider release of the information once the contract documents are assembled and the third-party notification process is complete.”

According to a Brand Live blog entry before the Canucks’ failed seven-game quest against the Boston Bruins: “The City of Vancouver has asked brand.LIVE to help in ensuring that this is a fun and safe place to watch the game. These LED screens will bring fans together to experience the Olympic craze all over again.”

Crowds grew larger, angrier and drunker until the violent post-Game 7 riot. Bottles were thrown at the big screens, which Runnals said were sourced for the city by Fresh Air Cinema from U.S.-based Impact Video. Rioters used Super Save fences as projectiles and overturned Pit Stop porta-potties at the fan zone.

Runnals declined to comment on both how the event was planned and its ugly outcome.

“There's a number of internal reviews and audits that are ongoing right now and I think that it's best left for them to speak to those kinds of questions,” he said. “There's a lot of different opinions, but hindsight is 20/20.”

As of Monday, Runnals said he had yet to be interviewed by the chairmen of the joint provincial/civic riot review, ex-Nova Scotia deputy attorney general Doug Keefe and VANOC CEO John Furlong. Aug. 31 is the deadline for their report. No publication date has been announced.

Brand Live credits include producing the 2005 Grey Cup Festival, Vancouver House and Alberta House, Train and Station during the 2010 Winter Olympics, Steve Nash Foundation charity basketball and soccer events, B.C. Festival 150 and the Live at Squamish Music Festival. Runnals to produced nightly Olympic medals ceremonies in B.C. Place Stadium for VANOC.

The city’s 2010 financial report shows Brand Live was paid $854,013 last year. The company is backed by investors Jim Treliving and George Melville of Boston Pizza fame.

http://www.vancourier.com/news/zone+site+manager+hired+days+before+Stanley+final+series/5228176/story.html#ixzz1UZcXBuyf

Okay we've all being following the London Riots which are a much more serious matter but the police have arrested hundreds and hundreds of people. Hundreds charged. Many have plead guilty. Yet nearly 2 months after the fact no one has faced formal charges in relation to the June 15th riot in Vancouver following the SCF. I can appreciate that the police want to do a thorough job but this is a complete joke. I have a feeling they want us to completely forget it ever happened and hold no one accountable for their actions that night. Our politicians and police leadership has failed the public yet again.

So either "The Hornet" or "Lonny Bohonos" gave me a negative on the other post. I think people shouldn't be able to give out negatives unless you can tell who it is because I'd really like to know and see some sort of defense for people not being held accountable for their criminal actions.

So either "The Hornet" or "Lonny Bohonos" gave me a negative on the other post. I think people shouldn't be able to give out negatives unless you can tell who it is because I'd really like to know and see some sort of defense for people not being held accountable for their criminal actions.

Okay we've all being following the London Riots which are a much more serious matter but the police have arrested hundreds and hundreds of people. Hundreds charged. Many have plead guilty. Yet nearly 2 months after the fact no one has faced formal charges in relation to the June 15th riot in Vancouver following the SCF. I can appreciate that the police want to do a thorough job but this is a complete joke. I have a feeling they want us to completely forget it ever happened and hold no one accountable for their actions that night. Our politicians and police leadership has failed the public yet again.

That's how I feel about people handing out minuses. They shouldn't be allowed to without submitting a reason why. I get the occasional minus in Canucks Talk and no reason as to why someone disagrees other than the fact that they perhaps just don't like hearing the truth.

Here is VPD Chief Jim Chu on the pace of police investigations into the rioters:

Vancouver police defend pace of riot investigation

Vancouver police on Wednesday defended their methodical investigation into the riots that followed the last game of the Stanley Cup playoffs in June.

Two months after the event, police still have not charged anyone for their actions in the riots that followed the Vancouver Canucks' loss to the Boston Bruins on June 15 in Game 7 of the NHL final.

In contrast, people already have been to court and have been convicted for incidents relating to riots in the United Kingdom in recent weeks.

Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu said rushing the process ultimately would result in fewer convictions for those charged and less severe sentences.

"If we rush cases to court, we risk losing (cases) by being ineffective and inefficient," Chu said at a news conference.

He had a stern warning for those who participated in the riot and think they have got away with it.

"One day soon, we will find you," he said. "We will come to your workplace, where you go to school, your home. But rest assured of one thing: we will find you, arrest you and take you to jail."

Some of the latest details Chu released Wednesday about the investigation into the riot included: police are investigating 259 "criminal events," an increase of 26 per cent from last month; the number of suspects is 268, up 15 per cent from the earlier tally; and 41 people have turned themselves in.

He added that police were teaming with the Law Enforcement and Emergency Services Video Association in the U.S. to analyze more than 1,600 hours of video footage. He said the co-operation will enable work that likely would take the Vancouver police two years to complete, be done in a matter of weeks.

http://www.canada.co...l#ixzz1VJpKkhhj

I don't feel like I can give the police or the politicians the benefit of the doubt and expect people who participated in the riots to be held legally responsible even if they have a few more months to prepare evidence for charges like the police chief suggests.

Wetcoaster I have a question which you might know the answer to. With lesser property crimes isn't there a statute of limitations that would prevent people from being charged with vandalism or public mischief charges? Whatever the people who participated in the riots were likely to face?

I don't feel like I can give the police or the politicians the benefit of the doubt and expect people who participated in the riots to be held legally responsible even if they have a few more months to prepare evidence for charges like the police chief suggests.

Wetcoaster I have a question which you might know the answer to. With lesser property crimes isn't there a statute of limitations that would prevent people from being charged with vandalism or public mischief charges? Whatever the people who participated in the riots were likely to face?

Archived