The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

Yeah, I get that. Momentary lapse of judgement/snap decision. We all make those dumb mistakes. But this wasn't like that. Like this water polo kid--he gets the rag, gets his lighter, sticks in the cop car, sits there and tries to light it,etc.. That's not a snap momentary lapse of judgement.

Without getting too deep into things.... are you saying she lied? Because I'm sure there were plenty of ordinary people there. Some people didn't go with the intention to riot, they just went so that they could be in the moment.

It'd be interesting to see what happened to the people of Vancouver. We don't have a riot culture per se, but that's what happened...

Ok so who do we blame for that (on top of blaming the organiser of the downtown viewing party Mr. Robertson)?

The whole "why is society like this" game is fun but fact of the matter is riots and angry teenagers have been a fact of life since ANTIQUITY! (Litterally). So if you can think of a way to fix these things in society great. If you can change society in time for say the fireworks or the grey cup even better. But that's an impossible task so in the meantime perhaps we will plan for better crowd control.

Though the one social experiment of closing the booze off downtwon was predictable. I saw the "I will see your downtown closure at four and start getting wasted at noon!" from a mile away. Like not drinking was an option.....

Is this blaming the mayor thing not a joke? I seriously thought it was. The police chief stated beforehand that he didn't forsee any trouble... yet it's Robertson's fault? Hilarious.

Who's responsible for the riot? Generation Me. Self-obsessed teenage brats who think destroying and stealing public and private property after a hockey game is a fun tradition in Vancouver.

It's already been said, but those kids tipping cars over, kicking windows in, and setting stuff on fire weren't angry. They were gleefully entertaining themselves.

The solution? Maybe actual urban people should band together, march into Surrey/Coquitlam, and kick the windows in at their parents' houses, tip their cars over, and set their neighbourhoods on fire. See how they like it.

Four dumpster fires in downtown Vancouver

Three in Coal Harbour, one in West End

Jul 01, 2011 19:05:12 PM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - It looks like someone's trying to put a damper on the good mood in downtown Vancouver, as people try to enjoy a big crowd event after the last one went so horribly wrong.

Battalian chief Randy Hedenton says four dumpsters appear to have been set on fire. There have been three near Canada Day parties in Coal Harbour and one in the West End.

"I think there's always a worry when there's large crowds in the downtown core," says Hedenton.

No one was hurt. There has been no damage to any buildings.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/248706--four-dumpster-fires-in-downtown-vancouver

It was the work of a few 'anarchists,' was the Mayor's initial claim. It was convincing at first; who can forget the black-hooded goons from the Olympics? But, alas, it was not true. That it was a gigantic fib didn't prevent VPD Chief Jim Chu and Premier Christy Clark from repeating it for the next 48 hours. Clark, whose government had nothing at all to do with Gregor's playoff fan zones, was drawn in by the Mayor's handlers after the riot. As a result, the Premier and Solicitor General Shirley Bond unwittingly became a part of the narrative, and helped, at least temporarily, to defuse blame from Robertson himself.

Sigh. Dumpster fires aren't that bad, but if it catches a building on fire, multiple other buildings will as well since most are so close together. Was there a crowd gathering downtown Vancouver for Canada Day? If there was, surprised there wasn't a mini riot or something. Would be a good day to make news, no? :rolleyes:

Seems like the riots have spurred people to think setting things on fire and having fires downtown is fine. I don't know if these sort of stuff happens from time to time in Vancouver, since I don't live there, but it's not very normal.

I've never lived anywhere else so I don't have a grasp on what's "normal", but teenagers at my old high school routinely set fires in garbage cans. It was the same story for my brother's generation as well (he's six years older) so it's not just a few bad apples. Setting fire to dumpsters actually didn't sound that bad to me, and sort of something that would have happened before and not made the news. Still stupid and lame thing to do though.

I was at Canada Place to watch the fireworks and it was pretty packed... Crowd was nowhere near the size as 06/15 but it crossed my mind how scary it would be if that horde of people decided to riot- I couldn't move forwards or backwards even a few inches without bumping into someone.

Without getting too deep into things.... are you saying she lied? Because I'm sure there were plenty of ordinary people there. Some people didn't go with the intention to riot, they just went so that they could be in the moment.

It'd be interesting to see what happened to the people of Vancouver. We don't have a riot culture per se, but that's what happened...

This was possibly the part of the whole riot that irked me the most, even though I knew full well it was 100% horse manure. Not surprisingly most Vancouverites bought it hook, line and sinker and apparently still do. Joe Goebbles would beam with pride if he were still around.

Guest gumballthechewy

http://www.canucksce...82playoffs.html

Just check this link out, please, it will make you feel like an ass if you where a rioter. Especially the last paragraph. Now I know they where the underdogs and nobody expected anything more from them against Bossy and the Islanders, but still after all that triumph to end in heartbreak they still threw a parade for them. Why couldn't you have done that for them instead of trying to burn down half the city, I mean they where only the best team in the league during the regular season, they made it to game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals for Christs sake! Only one other team out of thirty made it there!

http://www.canuckscentral.com/h94playoffs.html

The last paragraph in this one too. They waited to cheer them when they got back how epic!

So, you know..... just think about it... and be PROUD of your team!!! I know I am, and always will be.

Archived