The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

I'm wondering if this will happen if we lose again in the cup finals. People will be so frustrated. I dont think the mayor will have much control of the amount of people coming in to the downtown core even if there aren't fan zones set up. I would assume next year with the same scenario there would be triple the policing which would prevent a huge riot like this years. What do you guys think?

I'm wondering if this will happen if we lose again in the cup finals. People will be so frustrated. I dont think the mayor will have much control of the amount of people coming in to the downtown core even if there aren't fan zones set up. I would assume next year with the same scenario there would be triple the policing which would prevent a huge riot like this years. What do you guys think?

Is this blaming the mayor thing not a joke? I seriously thought it was. The police chief stated beforehand that he didn't forsee any trouble... yet it's Robertson's fault? Hilarious.

Who's responsible for the riot? Generation Me. Self-obsessed teenage brats who think destroying and stealing public and private property after a hockey game is a fun tradition in Vancouver.

It's already been said, but those kids tipping cars over, kicking windows in, and setting stuff on fire weren't angry. They were gleefully entertaining themselves.

The solution? Maybe actual urban people should band together, march into Surrey/Coquitlam, and kick the windows in at their parents' houses, tip their cars over, and set their neighbourhoods on fire. See how they like it.

Ten more rioters have turned themselves into VPD bringing the total number to 34. Charges have yet to be laid as police sift through the evidence to determine the proper charges.

The police chief has warned people to turn themselves in and it will be handled discreetly or be publicly arrested - I suppose in a version of the old "perp walk" with media on hand watching and recording the process.

During the past week, 10 more rioters have turned themselves in and the number of investigators grew in number as they continue to analyze the thousands of images from the June 15th riot.

Thirty-four people have now turned themselves in and no one has been charged yet as police say it could take several weeks before any charges are laid.

Nearly 50 investigators and civilian experts — up from 43 members last week — are looking at about 600 GB of data and are asking for email submissions to now be sent to riot@vpd.ca.

The Integrated Riot Investigation Team wants people to email them tips, photos and videos to add to their archive of more than 15,000 images and 1,200 hours of footage.

People can still turn themselves in by calling 778-838-2124 to make the necessary arrangements.

After the riot, Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu had a warning for rioters in hiding.

“If you come in voluntarily you can do so discreetly and at a time that is convenient for you,” Chu said. “If you wait until we find you — and we will find you — we will arrest you in a public manner suitable to the public crimes you have committed.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/more+Stanley+rioters+turn+themselves+police/5060822/story.html#ixzz1RO0gTvnq

Hey, so speaking of those who turned themselves in, got turned in or were caught....There were some big public apologies and people going to bat for those that were part of the riot damage. Just wondering, how many of them have actually gone out to "give back" to the community in some way or another (e.g. do your OWN community service)? I'm hoping they have and it's just not making it to the media.

I wonder if the cops can tip the media that they are about to arrest a rioter (ie. hey...be at location X @ this time). So the rioter can be on TV while being arrested and have his/her face displayed for all the world to see. I wonder if such a stunt would make others turn themselves in.

I wonder if the cops can tip the media that they are about to arrest a rioter (ie. hey...be at location X @ this time). So the rioter can be on TV while being arrested and have his/her face displayed for all the world to see. I wonder if such a stunt would make others turn themselves in.

• 2 weeks later...

Premier Clark wants process against rioters to move quicker

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The premier wants the people caught rioting in downtown Vancouver processed and punished more quickly. No one has been charged a month after Vancouver's Stanley Cup riot. Several dozen people turned themselves in, in the days following the riot.

Police are now sifting through hours and hours of videos and pictures sent to the VPD. That evidence then gets compiled and sent to the Crown, which approves charges.

Premier Christy Clark wants these cases to move faster than other criminal matters. "Because it touched all of us. So I don't think it's good enough for this to just wend its way through the court system the way that a typical case would."

But she realizes police are doing the best they can. "We have to be cautious about trying to rush police in an investigation because we want to make sure that the cases they build are as good as they can possibly be so we can see some convictions. I want to let police do their work and I want to make sure that when police bring forward the evidence and recommend charges, that their cases are as sound as they possibly can be. The even worse thing would be to force everybody to rush [and] have the work be, perhaps, not as good as it could have been."

An independent review of what went wrong that night is now underway, and due at the end of August.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/255846--premier-clark-wants-process-against-rioters-to-move-quicker

Premier Christy Clark wants these cases to move faster than other criminal matters. "Because it touched all of us. So I don't think it's good enough for this to just wend its way through the court system the way that a typical case would."

Archived