The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

20 hours ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Chuckling hard at Rashford making England's squad. Happy that Rose and Walker made it, had a weird feeling one of them would get snubbed.

Walker is the worst RB to play for England since the 70s. Look at the Newcastle game, he's away with the fairies most of the time.

Löw had some strange surprises in his nominations as well (Rudy instead of Durm, Schmelzer or Ginter for example). Plus the usual suspects who just make it every time, yet no one knows why (e.g. Podolski). Also he nominated players who were injured for long stretches of the season and are not back at 100% (Schweinsteiger, Khedira).

Full 27-man squad:

37 minutes ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Name some RB's that had a better season than Walker

I can only think of Bellerin

I like my RBs to defend. Walker is like Dani Alves, a glorified right winger. So:

Bellerin

Clyne

Fosu-Mensah

Sagna

Janmaat

Dawson

Coleman

All better defensively. Walker in your starting XI is giving yourself a -1 goal handicap.

4 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

I like my RBs to defend. Walker is like Dani Alves, a glorified right winger. So:

Bellerin

Clyne

Fosu-Mensah

Sagna

Janmaat

Dawson

Coleman

All better defensively. Walker in your starting XI is giving yourself a -1 goal handicap.

A fixture in the best defensive side in the league

"-1 goal handicap"

I know you hate Walker but you're just being ridiculous with names like this:

Fosu-Mensah

Sagna

Janmaat

Dawson

Coleman

18 hours ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

A fixture in the best defensive side in the league

"-1 goal handicap"

I know you hate Walker but you're just being ridiculous with names like this:

Fosu-Mensah

Sagna

Janmaat

Dawson

Coleman

I can't believe I forgot Antonio, he goes up there.

Let's take just the last four games:

West Brom - diabolical display, great attacking, nowhere to be seen and a complete liability at the back.

Chelsea - played like a lunatic, should have been sent off at least once, was killed in the second half.

Southampton - too busy trying to score goals than defending, partially to blame for both goals.

Newcastle - played advanced RW by the looks of it, at direct fault for one goal and indirectly through his absence for at least two others.

His appearances for England this season:

Lost 2-1 vs Holland, at fault for one goal, too busy flanking the RW to defend against his man

Lost 2-0 vs Spain, again, can't sit back and defend, has to go all Cafu (minus the tracking back)

Won 3-0 vs Lithuania, couldn't control a metal ball with a magnet the size of Wembley, set up a goal

Won 2-0 vs Estonia, did diddly squat all game

My issue with Walker is that he's a good option on the right going forwards - but that's all he's good for. Defensively, he's easy to beat down the line; he simply refuses to bust a gut and track back (which at least Danny Rose does), meaning the back four is stretched to cover for him; his passing is awful; his crossing is Ray Parlour-esque; his control is League One standard; he bottles harder tackles and goes in far too recklessly into easy ones; he's a walking yellow card, and the biggest weakness in any England XI. Clyne attacks just as well but also tracks back; I'd rather see Dier, or even Milner, at RB before Kyle Walker. He is a disaster waiting to happen, and he'll be up against Gareth Bale this summer. Imagine how wide open Walker's cheeks are going to be after Bale tears him several new ones.

To re-define my list now I have a PC in front of me:

Bellerin

Antonio

Simpson

Clyne

Were all undoubtedly better than Walker this season. I would argue for more than that. Regardless, the only reason Spurs had such a good defensive record was Toby Alderweireld, Spurs' player of the season, and every single PL team of the season I've seen has had him+Morgan or Huth at the back.

World class keeper

Quality LB

World class CB

World class CB

Diabolical 'RB'

Is Spurs bought a decent RB this summer, I think they'd stroll the league.

1 hour ago, Captain Woodget said:

Congrats to Sevilla - quite the feat to win the same cup competition three years running!

For sure! They were slightly fortunate to get out of the first half only down by 1. They absolutely found another gear in the second though.