The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

i cant believe Greece just beat Russia and Poland lost to the Czech Rep ?? So pissed right now >(

I just hope Germany can keep up the good work and Ukraine can come out of their group. Still could be a great finish for Uefa Cup

Edited by vanfan73

Least deserving teams go through. Happy for Samaras but the quarter finals suddenly look a lot less entertaining.

Shocking. In my opinion the 2 of the 3 worst teams in the entire tournament coming out of group A. Russia showed the danger of only needing a draw to go through. English beware.........

Least deserving teams go through. Happy for Samaras but the quarter finals suddenly look a lot less entertaining.

I agree, two quarter final games are ruined. I have nothing invested in either Poland or Czech but I found my self hating the Czechs more and more as the game went on. They go down easy and play a stinky brand.

Just goes to show what we all know about football. Almost everyone had Russia + Poland going through :lol:

Well if Kerzhakov had even the slightest clue of how to hit the net, my prediction of the Russians and the Czechs would have been correct. Not entirely his fault but the rest of the attack was in good form.

As for Poland; I thought they had a legitimate chance too. But at the end of the day, they needed that opening win vs Greece. It was only going to get harder from there.

Should be a solid day today though. I'm hoping for a Germany vs Denmark tie and a Holland win over Portugal. Germany takes the group, Denmark also advance, and I'm happy.

• Upvote 1

GET IN THERE. WE WILL TAKE OVER THEIR NEW GROUND JUST LIKE WE DID THE OLD!!!!

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsID=10064&newsCategoryID=1

Scotland return to Wembley next summer

Sunday, 17 June 2012

SCOTLAND are on their way to Wembley for the first time since the famous 1-0 win against England in 1999.

The Scottish FA is delighted to announce that Craig Levein’s squad will resume the Auld Enemy rivalry on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 as part of The Football Association’s 150th anniversary celebrations.

Don Hutchison was the goalscoring hero the last time Scotland took on England, in the UEFA Euro 2000 play-off. Now, as part of preparations for the second half of FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group A, Scotland will play in the refurbished Wembley Stadium for the first time.

The National Team Coach, Craig Levein, believes his squad will relish the challenge of this historic fixture.

He said: “For any Scotland supporter, player or coach, Scotland versus England is the ultimate contest: it really is as good as it gets. I am thrilled that we have reached agreement with The FA to play at Wembley as part of their 150th Anniversary celebrations and I am sure the supporters will be there in their tens of thousands.

“Our match against Brazil at the Emirates Stadium in London last year was a tremendous spectacle and I was overwhelmed by the support we had that day. This is an even more mouth-watering prospect for all concerned and the players will be desperate to record another famous victory at Wembley.

“It will also be the best test possible before we resume our FIFA World Cup Qualifying campaign next year.”

Roy Hodgson, England National Team Coach, added:

“I am privileged to be manager of England at UEFA Euro 2012 and it will be another huge honour to lead our nation out against our oldest rivals. For us, England v Scotland is one of the finest fixtures in international football and I know what this game means to both sets of supporters.

“It will be a fitting part of The FA’s 150th anniversary celebrations and the supporters, the team and my coaching staff all look forward to welcoming Scotland to Wembley Stadium next year.”

England and Scotland are international football’s oldest opponents. They met in the first official match ever played.

The original staging of this fixture took place at the ground of the West of Scotland Cricket Club at Partick, on Saturday, 30 November 1872. In the previous month The FA Committee had formally agreed to send a representative team, “in order to further the interests of The Association in Scotland”.

Bell’s Life saw it as “one of the jolliest, one of the most spirited and most pleasant matches that has ever been played according to Association rules”. There was a crowd of nearly 4000 and it finished in a 0-0 draw.

The teams have now met on 110 occasions. England has won 45 times, Scotland 41 times and there have been 24 draws.

Scotland’s ‘Wembley Wizards’ were 5-1 winners in 1928 but an England side defeated Scotland 9-3, also at Wembley, to clinch the British Championship trophy in 1961. A colossal attendance of 149,547, still a British record, saw Scotland win 3-1 at Glasgow’s Hampden Park in 1937.

Details on how supporters can roar Scotland to victory at Wembley will be confirmed shortly, with exciting packages that will guarantee your visit to Wembley and your unique seat for all Scotland’s home matches in FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group A against Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Macedonia and Wales.

I cannot believe the lack of quality in the Portugal/Holland game. 2 lovely goals but other than a bit here and a bit there........very disappointed.

Congrats to Podolski though, quite an acheivement for a Pole

Before Bender scored, Germany was being very cautious and the game was quite boring.

GET IN THERE. WE WILL TAKE OVER THEIR NEW GROUND JUST LIKE WE DID THE OLD!!!!

http://www.scottishf...ewsCategoryID=1

Scotland return to Wembley next summer

Sunday, 17 June 2012

SCOTLAND are on their way to Wembley for the first time since the famous 1-0 win against England in 1999.

The Scottish FA is delighted to announce that Craig Levein’s squad will resume the Auld Enemy rivalry on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 as part of The Football Association’s 150th anniversary celebrations.

Don Hutchison was the goalscoring hero the last time Scotland took on England, in the UEFA Euro 2000 play-off. Now, as part of preparations for the second half of FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group A, Scotland will play in the refurbished Wembley Stadium for the first time.

The National Team Coach, Craig Levein, believes his squad will relish the challenge of this historic fixture.

He said: “For any Scotland supporter, player or coach, Scotland versus England is the ultimate contest: it really is as good as it gets. I am thrilled that we have reached agreement with The FA to play at Wembley as part of their 150th Anniversary celebrations and I am sure the supporters will be there in their tens of thousands.

“Our match against Brazil at the Emirates Stadium in London last year was a tremendous spectacle and I was overwhelmed by the support we had that day. This is an even more mouth-watering prospect for all concerned and the players will be desperate to record another famous victory at Wembley.

“It will also be the best test possible before we resume our FIFA World Cup Qualifying campaign next year.”

Roy Hodgson, England National Team Coach, added:

“I am privileged to be manager of England at UEFA Euro 2012 and it will be another huge honour to lead our nation out against our oldest rivals. For us, England v Scotland is one of the finest fixtures in international football and I know what this game means to both sets of supporters.

“It will be a fitting part of The FA’s 150th anniversary celebrations and the supporters, the team and my coaching staff all look forward to welcoming Scotland to Wembley Stadium next year.”

England and Scotland are international football’s oldest opponents. They met in the first official match ever played.

The original staging of this fixture took place at the ground of the West of Scotland Cricket Club at Partick, on Saturday, 30 November 1872. In the previous month The FA Committee had formally agreed to send a representative team, “in order to further the interests of The Association in Scotland”.

Bell’s Life saw it as “one of the jolliest, one of the most spirited and most pleasant matches that has ever been played according to Association rules”. There was a crowd of nearly 4000 and it finished in a 0-0 draw.

The teams have now met on 110 occasions. England has won 45 times, Scotland 41 times and there have been 24 draws.

Scotland’s ‘Wembley Wizards’ were 5-1 winners in 1928 but an England side defeated Scotland 9-3, also at Wembley, to clinch the British Championship trophy in 1961. A colossal attendance of 149,547, still a British record, saw Scotland win 3-1 at Glasgow’s Hampden Park in 1937.

Details on how supporters can roar Scotland to victory at Wembley will be confirmed shortly, with exciting packages that will guarantee your visit to Wembley and your unique seat for all Scotland’s home matches in FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group A against Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Macedonia and Wales.

Can't wait. I'd rather it was a home and away, but I'll settle for beating them at Wembley. Again.

Was a bit worried for the Germans towards the end there, but they pulled through. Not Scotland, but the Germans are the next best thing for me.

:towel:

Won't be here tomorrow so early predictions!

Italy 2 - 0 Ireland

Cassano 22'

Giacherrini 59'

Spain 2 - 1 Croatia

Srna 19'

Pique 39'

Torres 75'

Please, please, please let my predictions be correct. Score-wise anyway.