The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

10 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I enjoy the Premier League.  But I do wish they'd take a longer break between seasons.

I don't think it is quite possible.

Premier League teams have 38 league matches, FA and League Cups, International breaks (international friendlies/Euro qualifiers/WC qualifiers/Nation League) , as well as the UEFA club competitions (Champions League/Europa League/Conference League).  That is a lot of match days to fit into a season.  Other leagues don't have the 2nd domestic cup competition and the Germany only has 18 clubs so their season has less matches (they make it up with a winter break).

Also, this past season was messed up with the World Cup pausing the season.  Going forward, I think the domestic season will end a bit earlier.

• Cheers 2

Agüerrrrrroooooooooo

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/17/martin-tyler-steps-down-as-sky-sports-lead-football-commentator-after-33-years

Martin Tyler steps down as Sky Sports football commentator after 33 years

• ‘The Voice’ of Premier League coverage joined Sky in 1990
  • 77-year-old not thought to have retired from commentating

3 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Just doing some quick math here.

Son is currently making around 13 million $US per year for the next two years.

The Saudis are offering him 32 million $US per year for the next four years.

That's dedication to a team!

(Tempered only by the fact that Tottenham would have to agree to the transfer and they don't want to.  At least not at the price the Saudis are currently offering for his transfer fee.)

• Cheers 1

And network tv loses another soccer league:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/watch-bundesliga-canada-dazn-live-stream-germany/q13gxkp5gicx6qzak23hn71u

The German top flight has a new home in Canada, and fans across the nation can now find a collection of European soccer all in one place.

Streaming service DAZN has penned a three-year deal to become the new Bundesliga broadcast rights-holder in Canada, adding the Big 5 league to their portfolio that already boasts a number of other European and North American sports leagues and competitions.

The deal, which also includes broadcast rights for the 2.Bundesliga, Germany's second tier, begins in the 2023/24 season and runs through the 2025/26 campaign, which will bring Canadian soccer fans right up to the 2026 World Cup to be hosted in their country.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

And network tv loses another soccer league:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/watch-bundesliga-canada-dazn-live-stream-germany/q13gxkp5gicx6qzak23hn71u

The German top flight has a new home in Canada, and fans across the nation can now find a collection of European soccer all in one place.

Streaming service DAZN has penned a three-year deal to become the new Bundesliga broadcast rights-holder in Canada, adding the Big 5 league to their portfolio that already boasts a number of other European and North American sports leagues and competitions.

The deal, which also includes broadcast rights for the 2.Bundesliga, Germany's second tier, begins in the 2023/24 season and runs through the 2025/26 campaign, which will bring Canadian soccer fans right up to the 2026 World Cup to be hosted in their country.

It’s disappointing that Sportsnet and TSN continue to lose out and show less and less European Football…it’s like they just don’t care..

8 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

To be honest, I don't know that much about Declan Rice.  But U$133 million?  Good lord there's a lot of money floating around the English Premier League.  :o

I hope he's worth it.

And, apparently, Arsenal has also signed Kai Havertz from Chelsea, who I also don't know much about.  But that was only for U$82 million.

https://theathletic.com/4627559/2023/06/28/arsenal-transfer-news-havertz/