The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

The drama continues at PSG.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/ligue-1/article/kylian-mbappe-returns-to-training-with-psg-after-constructive-talks-with-club/

Kylian Mbappe returns to training with PSG after constructive talks with club

https://www.sportsnet.ca/ligue-1/article/report-psg-forward-neymar-agrees-a-2-year-deal-with-saudi-club-al-hilal/

Report: PSG forward Neymar agrees a two-year deal with Saudi club Al-Hilal

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Manchester United defeat Wolverhampton 1-0 Today

I caught the second half of that game.  Based on that, I thought United stole the game.  Wolves deserved at least a draw.  But, being the Wolves, they just couldn't score when they had a chance while United pounced on their opportunity.

• Upvote 1

Arsenal fear serious knee injury for Jurrien Timber after leaving opening day match against Nottingham Forest

Arsenal fear that defender Jurrien Timber has suffered a major knee injury that could sideline him for an extended spell of his first season with the Gunners, according to CBS Sports sources.

Timber limped out of Arsenal's 2-1 win over Nottingham Forest on the opening weekend of the season, going down under no pressure from his opponent after an awkward movement in his knee. The Dutch international underwent initial scans on Monday but it could take several days before a defined timescale for his recovery becomes clear. It is believed that further examinations may be needed to ascertain whether Timber suffered any meniscus damage. Should it prove to be an ACL injury, however, Timber would be facing a significant spell on the sidelines.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/arsenal-fear-serious-knee-injury-for-jurrien-timber-after-leaving-opening-day-match-against-nottingham-forest/

:sadno:

The ref and 2 VAR assistants who somehow missed a blatant penalty by MAN U Keeper Andre Onana against Wolves' Sasa Kalajdzic have been dropped from the upcoming week's assignments:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/man-united-vs-wolves-referee-and-var-are-axed-by-the-premier-league/ar-AA1fid0p?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=87041b1029974cc2a2e44d69ff70d720&ei=98

The officials responsible for failing to award Wolves a blatant penalty against Manchester United have been axed from this weekend's Premier League schedule.

Referee Simon Hooper, VAR Michael Salisbury and assistant VAR Richard West have all been overlooked for appointments after deciding United goalkeeper Andre Onana had not fouled Sasa Kalajdzic despite knocking him to the ground.

Wolves boss Gary O'Neil said he had received an apology from referees' chief Jon Moss over the error and the officials involved won't be in charge of matches this weekend.

PGMOL chief Howard Webb wants officials to take greater accountability for incorrect decisions this season and has been in contact with Wolves.

As Wolves pushed for a late equaliser following Raphael Varane's goal for United, goalkeeper Onana rushed off his line to claim a cross but misjudged the flight of it completely.

Onana clattered into Wolves forward Kalajdzic, who was jumping for the ball with Craig Dawson, sparking vociferous protests from the away side and their supporters. 

On-field referee Hooper didn't point to the penalty spot and wasn't advised to check the incident on the pitchside monitor after replays had been examined by VARs Salisbury and West. United held out for an opening night win. 

Adding insult to injury, O'Neill was shown a Yellow by Hooper, for his complaining about the missed call....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The ref and 2 VAR assistants who somehow missed a blatant penalty by MAN U Keeper Andre Onana against Wolves' Sasa Kalajdzic have been dropped from the upcoming week's assignments:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/man-united-vs-wolves-referee-and-var-are-axed-by-the-premier-league/ar-AA1fid0p?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=87041b1029974cc2a2e44d69ff70d720&ei=98

Adding insult to injury, O'Neill was shown a Yellow by Hooper, for his complaining about the missed call....

I dunno.  At the time, I didn't think it was a penalty.  But I suppose it's possible that PGMOL chief Howard Webb knows more about these things than I do.   <_<

18 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I dunno.  At the time, I didn't think it was a penalty.  But I suppose it's possible that PGMOL chief Howard Webb knows more about these things than I do.   <_<

I'm certainly no expert in football officiating, but that looks pretty clear cut to me. No contact with the ball whatsoever, but plenty of contact on the Wolves' forward....

Onana even goes down afterward, pretending he was hurt....to garner sympathy, I suppose?

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm certainly no expert in football officiating, but that looks pretty clear cut to me. No contact with the ball whatsoever, but plenty of contact on the Wolves' forward....

Onana even goes down afterward, pretending he was hurt....to garner sympathy, I suppose?

There was certainly contact.   But the ball was coming down.  What was the goalie supposed to do?  Stay away from it because there were opposing players in the area?  It looked to me like two players going for the ball and meeting each other instead.

But given that the head official of reffing has come down on the game ref for not calling a penalty, I don't think I'll pursue this view to any great extent.  <_<

10 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

In Premier League action Today…NFO against SHU 12pm

Relegation battle.  I hope Forest wins.  Sheffield have all kinds of issues.  Getting promoted may have prevented them from really crashing and burning.  A lot of Championship sides spend on the hope of just getting to the Prem.  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Relegation battle.  I hope Forest wins.  Sheffield have all kinds of issues.  Getting promoted may have prevented them from really crashing and burning.  A lot of Championship sides spend on the hope of just getting to the Prem.  

Soccer players always make old Alf LAUGH HIS ASS OFF!  Softest athletes EVER! Except for Pele. He was up there with Ali, Tiger, and Jordan as the GOATs for any sport. 

14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Not that it mattered, but why was that third goal not ruled offside?   Starts at 2:12.

Sane drifted offside, but he didn't play the ball.  He let it go by him.  Mueller then played in back to him, putting him onside. 

It wasn't a shot on goal.  Had it been, I think it would have been ruled offside if the ball went in the goal as he could have been ruled as in the line of the shot, thus impeding the goal keepers ability see the ball.

• Thanks 1

After all these years and I still don't completely understand the offside rule.  :(

4 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Sane drifted offside

Right.

but he didn't play the ball

Right.

He let it go by him

Right.

Mueller then played in back to him, putting him onside. 

This is what I don't understand.  How can his own teammate put him onside?  Wouldn't one of the opposition players have to do that by moving back between him and the goalie?  Which didn't seem to happen.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

After all these years and I still don't completely understand the offside rule.  :(

Right.

Right

This is what I don't understand.  How can his own teammate put him onside?  Wouldn't one of the opposition players have to do that by moving back between him and the goalie?  Which didn't seem to happen.

Ya, there are wrinkles that make it more complex than maybe it needs to be.

I think because Mueller was onside and he played the ball back, it put Sane onside.  Kinda similar to when a player is offside, but a defender plays the ball or touches the ball, making that offside player onside. 

Just a guess on my part.  No way even remotely an expert.