The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

49 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

The way everyone is talking Jackson has it on lock...I dont beleive it...Brownings stats are better.

Passing

Browning: 156/256 (64.8%), 2532 yds, 35 TD 5 INT, 189.7 QBr

Jackson: 184/314 (58.6%), 2898 yds, 27 TD 6 INT, 160.7 QBr

Rushing

Browning: 41 yds (0.8YpC), 4 TD

Jackson: 1134 yds (7.3YpC), 19 TD

I don't think anyone would question that Browning's passing stats are better anymore, but when you factor in the ground game as well it's still pretty lopsided IMO.

Jackson has accounted for 1400 more yards and 7 more TDs on the season.

I think the stinker here will definitely cause more of a discussion on who should win, but Jackson was so far ahead before this that he could still have a game like that and be ahead of the pack.

Edited by Jägermeister

11 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Passing

Browning: 156/256 (64.8%), 2532 yds, 35 TD 5 INT, 189.7 QBr

Jackson: 184/314 (58.6%), 2898 yds, 27 TD 6 INT, 160.7 QBr

Rushing

Browning: 41 yds (0.8YpC), 4 TD

Jackson: 1134 yds (7.3YpC), 19 TD

I don't think anyone would question that Browning's passing stats are better anymore, but when you factor in the ground game as well it's still pretty lopsided IMO.

Jackson has accounted for 1400 more yards and 7 more TDs on the season.

I think the stinker here will definitely cause more of a discussion on who should win, but Jackson was so far ahead before this that he could still have a game like that and be ahead of the pack.

true..I didnt take his ground game into consideration....lol.... as far as rushing goes Jackson is in his own league....it will boil down to what they want..scrambler or drop back QB...his rushing yards are pretty impressive however

Edited by ShakyWalton

3 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

true as far as rushing goes Jackson is in his own league....it will boil down to what they want..scrambler or drop back QB...his rushing yards are pretty impressive however

Browning will be a better NFL QB.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Browning will be a better NFL QB.

I agree and I've made the same argument in discussions with friends many times.

When you look at successful NFL quarterbacks, you can count the number of guys who are also good runners on one hand: Tarkenton, Young, Cunningham, Elway, Wilson....

Then you look at the list of drop back passers: Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Favre, Marino, Kelly, Fouts, Manning, Unitas, Marino, Staubach, Aikman, Starr, Brees, Greise, Stabler, Big Ben, Namath, Tittle, Warner, Rodgers....

Probably the best running QB ever was Vick and even without the Dog Fighting thing, he likely wouldn't make the top 50 QBs all time.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree and I've made the same argument in discussions with friends many times.

When you look at successful NFL quarterbacks, you can count the number of guys who are also good runners on one hand: Tarkenton, Young, Cunningham, Elway, Wilson....

Then you look at the list of drop back passers: Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Favre, Marino, Kelly, Fouts, Manning, Unitas, Marino, Staubach, Aikman, Starr, Brees, Greise, Stabler, Big Ben, Namath, Tittle, Warner, Rodgers....

Probably the best running QB ever was Vick and even without the Dog Fighting thing, he likely wouldn't make the top 50 QBs all time.

Thats pretty bold, The most difficult QB to ever gameplan against. What worried me about Browning last game was that he had recievers open and was consistently underthrowing them. I hope that does not become a become a pattern.

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Thats pretty bold, The most difficult QB to ever gameplan against. What worried me about Browning last game was that he had recievers open and was consistently underthrowing them. I hope that does not become a become a pattern.

You can only eat the ball so much..USC had great coverage that game and their D was on fire..I consider it a one off..USC was ready...Dawgs werent.

Latest rankings....

Rankings - Associated Press

Last Updated - November 20, 2016
RANK SCHOOL POINTS RECORD PREVIOUS
1 Alabama (61) 1,525 11-0 1
2 Ohio State 1,455 10-1 2
3 Michigan 1,370 10-1 4
4 Clemson 1,347 10-1 5
5 Wisconsin 1,255 9-2 6
6 Washington 1,220 10-1 7
7 Oklahoma 1,169 9-2 8
8 Penn State 1,091 9-2 9
9 Colorado 997 9-2 12
10 Oklahoma State 868 9-2 13
11 Louisville 830 9-2 3
12 USC 811 8-3 15
13 Florida 703 8-2 21
14 Western Michigan 701 11-0 14
15 Florida State 661 8-3 17
16 Auburn 613 8-3 18
17 Nebraska 593 9-2 19
18 Houston 490 9-2 NR
19 West Virginia 448 8-2 10
20 Boise State 389 10-1 22
21 Utah 280 8-3 11
22 Texas A&M 253 8-3 23
23 Washington State 186 8-3 20
24 Tennessee 133 8-3 NR
25 LSU 84 6-4 16

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Im just happy that we wiped the floor with bRuins. Who knows, Utah beats the Buffs next week, we could be talking Rose Bowl...

How do the Championship/playoffs work and who gets selected..kind of confused on this?

Edited by ShakyWalton

15 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

How do the Championship/playoffs work and who gets selected..kind of confused on this?

Wow I just wrote a massive write up on this and the website glitched out. I found a video that kind of answers your question on the Playoff.

In terms of the Conference title games, It is based on best conference records. So basically what it means for UW is that if they win next week, they play for the PAC12 title. If they lose, WSU plays for it. If there is a tie, head to head is the first tiebreaker, so that is why even if Ohio State wins next week, they will not play for the BIG 10 unless Penn State loses, because Penn State holds the head to head.

34 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Wow I just wrote a massive write up on this and the website glitched out. I found a video that kind of answers your question on the Playoff.

In terms of the Conference title games, It is based on best conference records. So basically what it means for UW is that if they win next week, they play for the PAC12 title. If they lose, WSU plays for it. If there is a tie, head to head is the first tiebreaker, so that is why even if Ohio State wins next week, they will not play for the BIG 10 unless Penn State loses, because Penn State holds the head to head.

confusing stuff..so if UW loses to Wsu WSU plays for the conference championship ewven though UW has a better record  but its the head to head that counts

BS

Spoiler

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- The NCAA has ordered the Notre Dame Fighting Irish to vacate wins from their 2012 and 2013 football seasons in an academic misconduct case, it was announced Tuesday.

Notre Dame announced it will appeal the decision.

According to the decision, the agreed-upon violations centered on multiple years of academic misconduct by a former athletic trainer and two football student-athletes during a three-year period. The trainer also provided six other football players with impermissible academic benefits across 18 courses in two years.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions prescribed a public reprimand and censure of Notre Dame, one year of probation, a two-year show-cause order for the former trainer, a two-year disassociation of the former trainer, a vacation of all records in which ineligible student-athletes participated while ineligible during the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons and a $5,000 fine. Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly, speaking at a regularly scheduled news conference, said the entire school has been cooperative throughout this whole ordeal, and he thanked them for his support.

"It's never happened before in the history of the NCAA. The penalty has never been issued in this fashion before," Kelly said. "I think that qualifies for being, first of all, it was discretionary. This is a discretionary action by the committee. That's No. 1. No. 2, student-on-student cheating, nobody implicated. The NCAA agreed across the board with that finding, and it was clearly excessive, so we're gonna appeal this, and one of the options or clear reasons for appeal is that the penalty is excessive in its discretion and we believe we have obvious grounds there."

Kelly said he bears no culpability for the academic misconduct that occurred under his watch. He said he plans on being back in 2017 for an eighth season, saying criticism from this 4-7 season stems from the Fighting Irish's lack of success and is independent of this NCAA situation.

"If doing the right thing means you've got to put an asterisk next to these games," Kelly said of games he won that are subject to being vacated, "that's fine by me."

"We still beat Oklahoma. We still beat Wake Forest. We still beat all those teams, so you can put an asterisk next to it. If that makes you feel better, then that's fine with me."

Notre Dame was the national runner-up during the 2012 season, losing to Alabama in the BCS title game and finishing with a 12-1 mark. The Irish went 9-4 in 2013.

In a statement, Kelly and Notre Dame president Rev. John Jenkins both said the university would appeal the decision to vacate the wins because "penalty they have imposed is not justified."

"We are disappointed in the actions of students who engaged in dishonesty, but we are gratified that the NCAA investigation confirmed the conclusions of our own internal investigation: Notre Dame acted honorably throughout," Jenkins said in the statement. "As soon as professional staff suspected academic dishonesty on the part of a student, the matter was reported promptly, investigated aggressively and thoroughly, and adjudicated in accord with our Academic Code of Honor procedures and norms. ...

"We disagree with the decision of the hearing panel to impose, at its own discretion, a vacation of records penalty. In past academic misconduct cases, the Committee on Infractions has imposed this penalty only when it has found serious institutional misconduct, such as actions with the direct involvement or knowledge of a coach or academic personnel, a failure to monitor or a lack of institutional control. The NCAA enforcement staff and the hearing panel agreed with Notre Dame that no such institutional misconduct occurred in this case. Indeed, the only reason the NCAA reviewed the matter was because the misconduct involved a former fellow student who happened to participate in the University's student trainer program -- an activity which involved no responsibility for the academic work of student-athletes."

Jenkins said in the statement that "everyone involved" -- including the football program and the university's compliance office -- "did everything that we could have asked of them."

Two players were still enrolled when the violations were discovered and the school sought reinstatement of them through the Student-Athlete Reinstatement process, according to the public infractions decision.

The other four players were no longer enrolled when the violations were discovered and therefore were not subject to the school's academic integrity policies. The trainer's conduct was ruled unethical by Notre Dame and the NCAA. The parties agreed the violations are Level II.

Additionally, another football player committed academic misconduct during two years without the involvement of a school staff member. The parties agreed these violations were Level II as well.

Notre Dame had launched an internal investigation in 2014 once it became aware of potential academic misconduct by one former player and one current player. The school says it reviewed 95,000 documents. It immediately suspended the involved players from all athletic activities and, at the conclusion of the honor-code process, dismissed four players and imposed retroactive grade changes in the courses affected.

"We believe that imposition of the vacation of records penalty without serious underlying institutional misconduct will not primarily punish those responsible for the misconduct, but rather will punish coaches, student-athletes and indeed the entire institution who did nothing wrong and, with regard to this case, did everything right," Jenkins said in a release. "We are also concerned that establishing this precedent will infringe on universities' autonomy in deterring academic dishonesty, for it will discourage the retroactive lowering of grades even when an honor code committee deems this appropriate.

"As we said at the outset of this investigation, Notre Dame would willingly accept a vacation of records penalty if it were appropriate. It is not in this case. Indeed, should this precedent stand, it could create a perverse incentive that will discourage institutions from investigating so aggressively and imposing the penalties for academic dishonesty that their honesty committees might judge appropriate."

So ND gets wins taken away from them in addition to

- One year of probation for the athletic department
- A public reprimand and censure for the school and a $5,000 fine
- A two-year, show-cause order against the student-trainer
- The athletics department must disassociate from the former student trainer for two years.

But when a football player's parents got some incentives to get him to use an agent, We get the death penalty?

Edited by ReggieBush

Apple Cup tonight in Pullman, gonna be a barnburner.

Pulling for Udub, can't stand Mike Leach.

Rivalry week is one of my favorite weeks of the year. So many great matchups and so much passion

My 3 games to watch for this week are;

1. Obviously the Big Game, Ohio State vs Michigan. Michigan ravaged by injuries and on the road but don't take anything away from the, they are a damn good football team

2. Gators and Noles. Overachieving Florida vs. Underachieving Florida State. A good one no doubt

3. Iron Bowl. How can you not watch this game? Especially after that ending 2 years ago, it still gives me goosebumps. 

@ShakyWalton I thought this was your job:lol:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Apple Cup tonight in Pullman, gonna be a barnburner.

Pulling for Udub, can't stand Mike Leach.

Rivalry week is one of my favorite weeks of the year. So many great matchups and so much passion

My 3 games to watch for this week are;

1. Obviously the Big Game, Ohio State vs Michigan. Michigan ravaged by injuries and on the road but don't take anything away from the, they are a damn good football team

2. Gators and Noles. Overachieving Florida vs. Underachieving Florida State. A good one no doubt

3. Iron Bowl. How can you not watch this game? Especially after that ending 2 years ago, it still gives me goosebumps. 

@ShakyWalton I thought this was your job:lol:

Apple Cup starts at 12.30pm today on Fox.....some great games coming up..going to be a busy weekend flipping the channel...lol.