The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is AV not trying the obvious? Henrik with Bitz

ynot-llat

They looked great early but Bitz ran out of gas .. by the time the playoffs happen, Bitz should be in game shape .. he adds a much needed dimension to any line he plays on .. good call AV .. the first of many you will need to pull off if we are to make the Finals again ..

Who cares about a regular season win against Colorado an, 11th place team.

This sh*it wouldn't cut it, even in the 1st round of the post season.

I swear to god if Bitz is on the first line tonight, i will not stop on spreading my hate for AV's retarded decisons

Too funny.

I wanted to post earlier, but the forum got shut down as quickly as the OP.

I haven't seen enough of Bitz to see if he would be a good fit with the Sedins, but the goals he was involved in were heads up plays.

His first shot, was very well timed, and he lifted his stick quickly to avoid the defender from getting his stick in the way of his swing. I don't know how many times I've seen Canuck player seeming completely oblivious to the checker coming behind them.

His back pass between his legs to setup the Sedin goal infront of the net was also a heads up play.

He won't have to be that fast to keep up with the Sedins and if he has scoring hands in front of the net, and hands capable of wash the opposing players faces trying to get at the Sedins he would be an asset.

I wonder what your reaction was when AV mixed the lines up and put Burrows with the Sedins a few years back in St. Louis.

If this works out and Bitz can play with Sedins, we have a much balanced line up. And that line gets some needed size and grit.

Remember the chumps we used to try out with the twins? They were big guys with no hands. Sedins are much much better than they were when they were playing with Anson Carter, who turned into a scorer with the Sedins. Bitz just needs to play smart and use his body and they will find him. I think AV is smart to give it a shot especially when they've looked as flat as they did in the last few games.

Sedin - Sedin - Bitz

Booth - Kesler - Higgins/Burrows

Burrows/Higgins - Lappy - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Weise

Man that is a sad thing to say.

Support the guys wearing the jerseys!

I am on record as not wanting Bitz anywhere near this team. However on the evidence of the last two limited time games I don't mind admitting I was wrong.

Bitz surprised me and that cut back for Daniel was Sedinesque. I even got the impression the Sedins enjoyed it :lol:

Did I imagine it or did Bitz just blast right through the defenders stick blade when he scored as if it was made of wet paper?

People might want to hold on before they pencil Bitz onto the top line permanently... even AV said "he is still far down on the list" when asked about it.

It was just something to mix up the team a little as they were getting stagnant as happens to every team over an 82 game season... AV saw that a little shakeup was needed and did it.

Detroit used to do this mid-season by doing things like putting Fedorov on defence for a few games. It keeps things fresh over a very long haul.

It is also the reason we will see some sort of move at the deadline, even if it doesn't end up being huge. Just some new blood and changing the dynamic a little.

Be carefull; Bitz is exactly what Torres should have been last year and Samuelsson was a few years ago against Chicago in the play offs.

A big guy to offset an opponent stcking all their big guys against the Sedins/Burrows. When teams do this (and they do, see Boston) we simply need a big guy option to open up the game for them. In the meantime Burrows would wreak havoc with Kesler. Teams make an adjustment and shifting the big guy up with the Twins served its purpose.

But Bitz is not taking over any position like this full time without displaying some serious Chutzpah and some skills.

I was JUST about to reply to this post but you beat me to it..

Keep spreading the hate buddy!

I like this a LOT. The chances of finding another Burr is slim, slim, slim but why not try? IF Bitz proves to be as good with Hank as Burrows is then we have just found our gritty winger (tiny chance before now it's just unlikely).

Sedin Sedin Bitz (Bitz will be fresh enough with the Sedins that he will still forecheck as hard as Burr used to and hit 100x harder)

Booth Kesler Higgins (such a powerful line.. Noone will be messing with them)

Burrows Hodgson Hansen (brings Burrows who is great at playing with people like Sedins [Hodgson plays a similar style] to mentor Hodgson and maybe lets Burr be more of an agitator. Burr is a natural LW)

Lapierre Malhotra Weise (4th line that has been effective all year and Pini and Volpatti could be ready for the playoffs).

That would make Raymond completely expendable to be traded straight up (or at least not involve another roster player) for a Dman.

Okay, did you guys not watch the game? What's with all this talk about Bitz with the Sedins being a new line and AV is a genius for doing so??? The new line that Bitz was on only included Henrik. The only reason that Bitz was playing with 2 Sedins for those 2 goals was because the Canucks just finished killing a penalty.

The new lines did not work at all. Bitz/Henrik/Raymond looked like absolute crap and generated essentially nothing. The 3 goals were:

1pp goal

2 goals where AV actually put the Sedins together because a penalty was just killed.

Seriously guys...

To all the AV haters out there I think this article is pretty relevant, I posted this back when it first came out but perhaps it will give you guys some prespective on him as to whether or not the players think he is awful as some on here would have us believe:

Daniel Sedin on Canucks' Vigneault: "He does what he needs to do, and he leaves us alone"

By ed Willes, The ProvinceJanuary 30, 2012 3:06 PM

Alain Vigneault has been Daniel Sedin's coach for six years which, to put things in perspective, is roughly the equivalent of 34 Kardashian marriages.

In that time, Daniel has evolved from a newly minted second-liner to a point-a-game first-liner to one of the five-best forwards in the NHL. In those same six years the Canucks have evolved from a borderline playoff team, to a good but not great playoff team to a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

So the coach and player have shared an interesting journey and given that history, given the soaring moments of triumph and the crushing moments of defeat, you'd think they would have formed a bond by now.

But, when asked how well he knows Vigneault, this is what Daniel says: “I know him better now than I did a couple of years ago. But I don't know him really well. He keeps a distance. I like that. You don't want to be friends with the coach.”

Not even a little bit?

“He doesn't really interact with the players much,” Daniel continued. “He does what he needs to do, he prepares us, and he leaves us alone. I think that's the key.”

Actually, this is the key. Heading into tonight's game with the Blackhawks, Vigneault has coached 459 game with the Canucks. His record over that time is 266-148-45 which makes him the winningest coach in Canucks history. His regular season points percentage of .628 would also place him fourth among active coaches and in the top-10 on the all-time list.

His record, in fact, stands up to any coach currently in the game and all but a handful of the all-time greats. Like the players, Canucks' fans can't say they have the closest relationship with Vigneault but they do know one thing about the man.

He wins. And in his line of work, that's all you really have to know about him.

As the Canucks begin their stretch run, they occupy what's becoming a familiar position. They lead the Northwest Division by a comfortable margin. They also occupy second place in the West, three points behind the Red Wings who lead the Presidents Trophy race.

True, it hasn't been the most exhilarating opening act to the season – before the Oilers' game last Tuesday an out-of-town reporter asked Vigneault about the low-key, almost boring way the Canucks go about their business – but that also seems to be the team's m.o. The vast majority of nights they show up. Most of those nights they're successful. They aren't always thrilling but, for the most part, they're consistent in their approach and their preparation.

And isn't that a reflection of the head coach?

There persists, in some corners of this always interesting market, the vague, unsubstantiated view that Vigneault isn't a championship coach, that he lacks that certain something that can lead this team to a Stanley Cup. That's valid in so far as Vigneault, along with 23 other coaches currently employed in the NHL, has never won a Stanley Cup

But think of the other things you judge a coach by. Then think of Vigneault's work here.

Is the team consistent? Does he get the most out of his players? Have those players improved under his watch? Have the young players gotten better? Have players who've left the Canucks suddenly become more productive?

The answer, in virtually every case, is self-evident.

It's also been interesting to watch Vigneault change as the team has matured. He's admitted as much, suggesting he does as much monitoring now as coaching. He says the players know his likes and dislikes. He says players need “autonomy” to grow.

Over his six years here the team and the coach have built a relationship that doesn't need a lot of dialogue. Both parties seem to like it that way.

“We know what to expect from him and he knows what to expect from us,” Daniel said. “When you start doing your own thing and you're not following the team concept, you hear about it As long as we do what needs to be done, he's going to leave us alone.”

That's not as easy as it sounds in a market where emotions run high and the fans' temperament is determined by the performance on any given night.

But six years after he was hired, Vigneault is still here, still winning. That's the only relevant yardstick for measuring his work.

© Copyright © The Province

I was JUST about to reply to this post but you beat me to it..

Keep spreading the hate buddy!

I like this a LOT. The chances of finding another Burr is slim, slim, slim but why not try? IF Bitz proves to be as good with Hank as Burrows is then we have just found our gritty winger (tiny chance before now it's just unlikely).

Sedin Sedin Bitz (Bitz will be fresh enough with the Sedins that he will still forecheck as hard as Burr used to and hit 100x harder)

Booth Kesler Higgins (such a powerful line.. Noone will be messing with them)

Burrows Hodgson Hansen (brings Burrows who is great at playing with people like Sedins [Hodgson plays a similar style] to mentor Hodgson and maybe lets Burr be more of an agitator. Burr is a natural LW)

Lapierre Malhotra Weise (4th line that has been effective all year and Pini and Volpatti could be ready for the playoffs).

That would make Raymond completely expendable to be traded straight up (or at least not involve another roster player) for a Dman.

Okay, did you guys not watch the game? What's with all this talk about Bitz with the Sedins being a new line and AV is a genius for doing so??? The new line that Bitz was on only included Henrik. The only reason that Bitz was playing with 2 Sedins for those 2 goals was because the Canucks just finished killing a penalty.

The new lines did not work at all. Bitz/Henrik/Raymond looked like absolute crap and generated essentially nothing. The 3 goals were:

1pp goal

2 goals where AV actually put the Sedins together because a penalty was just killed.

Seriously guys...

People might want to hold on before they pencil Bitz onto the top line permanently... even AV said "he is still far down on the list" when asked about it.

It was just something to mix up the team a little as they were getting stagnant as happens to every team over an 82 game season... AV saw that a little shakeup was needed and did it.

Detroit used to do this mid-season by doing things like putting Fedorov on defence for a few games. It keeps things fresh over a very long haul.

It is also the reason we will see some sort of move at the deadline, even if it doesn't end up being huge. Just some new blood and changing the dynamic a little.

Archived