The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Future Of Hockey

I'll keep it short. I know this could probably be added to the end of another topic, but I think that in itself this is a special issue.

Headshots are ruining this game. So much so, that if/when I have kids I don't want them playing hockey past a certain level. Does anybody else feel the same? If this continues to be the state of the game, with (and while I feel very strange quoted him...) "open season on stars" as Ron MacLean so eloquently put, then I'm concerned about the future of hockey as a whole. Every parent wants their kids to grow up and follow their dreams, but not when those dreams put the kid at serious risk of brain damage.

I'm sure some will jeer. This is just how I feel, and I think that many parents who are presently considering signing their kids up for hockey feel the same way.

In hockey, like football, players continue to get bigger, stronger, and faster over time. A bigger faster game means more injuries. Both sports are noted for being physically grueling and equally violent. Regardless of how many rules you can tweak to curb injuries in both sports, as long as players continue to physically evolve over time and the game(s) gets faster via better

athletes players will get hurt. It's just the nature of the sport(s). Eliminate hitting you dramatically reduce injuries, but that's just not gonna happen.

If your worried about your kids well being on thr

playing field or on the ice, then choose other sports for them to play, it's that simple.

Like Grapes said ... Go play tennis. I love fast, rough hockey like we've seen in this years playoffs. Ratings are up everywhere but Van, where there are those who want to see the game change to suit this team.

If u think hockey is too rough for your kids, let them take up tennis.

If u don't like the hockey you are seeing this spring, change the channel ... Maybe Hayley Wickenheiser is playing on the other channel.

Like Grapes said ... Go play tennis. I love fast, rough hockey like we've seen in this years playoffs. Ratings are up everywhere but Van, where there are those who want to see the game change to suit this team.

If u think hockey is too rough for your kids, let them take up tennis.

If u don't like the hockey you are seeing this spring, change the channel ... Maybe Hayley Wickenheiser is playing on the other channel.

Take away instigator.

Would probably lead to enforcers being back in the game, but at least guys won't run around making cheap hits because they know they'll have to answer.

Then again, it may do nothing, but at least there is always that option.

And no half-assed suspensions. Deliberate shots to the head (ala Keith) should be minimum of 10 games. No place in hockey for that crap.

Archived