The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Raffi Torres Gets 25 Games

Guest AriGold

I think it's way too much. Yes, the hit was a bit late. At the time, the announcers (reviewing it in the break) said that his toe was still on the ice at point of impact. If that is the case, Raffi did not 'launch himself' at Hossa; the rising off the ice was a result of the impact - at least that's how it seemed to me after watching it several times. (love that PVR)

I think they are making an example of Torres, which doesn't help dissuade others from doing the same, in my opinion. What would really have an impact, would be if they actually PUNISHED a 'star player' for a bad hit. THAT might make people sit up and take notice. All this does, is reinforce that stars get a pass (measly fine to Weber) for intent to injure, while 4th liners take the fall just so the league can say, 'See, we're doing everything we can to get those nasty headshots out of the game.'

Yes, Raffi is a 'repeat offender', while some others aren't. That's because of the same bullcrap the league always pulls - only punishing the lower level players.

Oh, and I like how Shanny says that he broke 3 NHL rules in this play. Sure, but FOUR officials didn't see it / call it a penalty. Kind of makes you wonder about their protestations of how great their officials are and how consistent, etc.

BS, imo

"Sure, Raffi's got a bit of a history but it's just how he plays the game - with reckless abandon and enthusiasm. It's usually not targeted at anyone in retaliation or isolating a particular player in order to injure them. He flies around there, hitting everything in sight (hard). I love his game."

Have I slipped into a parallel universe?

I can't believe you are serious. These excuses could be made for anyone. The guy goes after the head............again and again and again. I would like to see how much you loved his game if he laid that hit on Henrik or Danny.

Honestly I can't believe the posts on this thread. He has a history he won't take a telling, his enthusiasm could end up killing someone.

I agree there may be a lack of consistency, however the punishment for Torres was an effort to make this guy get himself under control before he kills someone or ends their career. If this is what it takes to make him a cleaner hitter then Shanahan is doing him a favour.

I am impressed with how well Matt Cooke has cleaned up his act, but I have absolutely no hope that Torres will follow suit. Raffi has been head hunting for years, and IMO, he got what he deserved. You just can't continue to hit guys in the head and get away with it. The guy just doesn't get it, I knew that lasst year when he got 4 games for the hit on Eberhle and then went after Seabrook on his first game back.

I hope Shanahan told Raffi that if he ever has to come see him again, his career in the NHL is over.

This is the exact thing that the league is trying to take out of the game. Granted, they have droopped the ball on many calls this post season (starting with the Weber non suspension), but after that hit on Hossa, it seems like the players are finally starting to get it. Things have calmed down considerably and most teams realize that there is no place for this, especially this time of year. There is just too much at stake.

25 GAMES:

2 MIN FOR ROUGHING ... AGAINST KESLER !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSoNMIIcWY

You wanna talk about repeat offenders? Kronwall is WAYYYYY worse than Torres. Just punch his name into youtube, you could spend a F* week watching all the dirty hits he's launched at guys.

If I were Torres I'd be on the phone to whomever the lawyer is for the NHLPA because this is utter nonsense.

Keith throws an intentional headshot/elbow in retaliation away from the play, 5 games... WWF Weber = fined

Kronwall multiple repeat offender who doesn't know how to hit WITHOUT leaving his feet... it goes on and on and on...

And to those who say Shanahans job "is sooo tougghhh" wahhhhhhh.... WTF is exactly so difficult about his job?!

He has a freaken rule book right in front of him!

Disregard the player involved, and judge the action based solely on the clearly written rule in front of you, DUMBASS.

Doesn't matter if it's Sindy Crysby, Evgenie Retard, Duncan Donuts Keith, Dickliss Kronwall, or Cassie freaken Campbell.

I swear to god, somewhere out there, Ken Dryden is rubbing his hands together and drooling with glee :rolleyes:

SHANAFAIL

The NHL plays favorites and the Preds are one of the leauges favs.

Weber gets a pocket change fine for a far more brutal act, Keith gets to rest up for the playoffs after his attack.

We need a little honesty in running the NHL.

This stinks !!!!

Wow......

Supplementary discipline required as he is a repeat offender but bumping Raffi's hit on Hossa into the same category as Bert's transgression is bloody ridiculous, IMO.

That said, the precedent has now been set and Shanahan better stick to it from now on for every subsequent similar on-ice incident if only to highlight the sheer ludicrousness of this latest sanction from on high.

That whole Keith on Daniel thing of deliberate head hunting and lack of adequate sanctions has me infuriated all over again. Not to mention the Weber smashing Zetterberg's face into the boards incident and the mere fine as a sanction.

U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E.

Surley it is not beyond the wit of the NHL to sit down and work out a points system whereby ALL the factors are taken into account.

Let a panel sit down with a written statement of what the injured team considers to be the offence and have a panel allocate points against each factor. That way there would be less chance of bias and there would be written transparency.

NHL is a pretty big joke.

How does someone blatantly elbow another player in the head and get 5 games, ram someone's head into the boards and then a late hit gets 25 games?? Yeah Torres is a repeat offender but it's the action that should be penalized, not the player.

no consistency at all in the penalties that are handed out.

Archived