The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - Winnipeg

Let me start by saying it'd be highly unlikely for either team to look for a deal with such high profile players, but it good be a good hockey deal for both sides if they agreed.

To Van:

Evander Kane

Alexander Burmistrov

To Wpg:

Ryan Kesler

Anton Rodin

1st

We'd have to first consider Kane as an RFA this summer, which doesn't affect his value much, but the outcome may hinge on how much he'd want to sign for. If it's a significant increase (over and above Kesler's $5M cap hit) then it may not be worthwhile. We don't want to move for him and then find out he wants $6.5M per. Other than that, the value of Kane (younger, higher offensive upside) compared to Kesler (more established 2-way center for their 1st line) isn't that far off.

Burmistrov and Rodin are similar value skill wise, with Burmistrov having shown he can play in the NHL giving him a small advantage. Winnipeg has a lot of center prospects (Scheifele being at the top of that list and likely making an impact in their lineup this year or next) but very few skilled, speedy wingers. They still have size in Ladd, Wheeler, Antropov and Fehr if they lose Kane.

The 1st added might be too much and I'd prefer to get away with a 2nd or 3rd, but with our pick being so late and Kesler out for the start of the season to rehab we might not be able to.

Cap wise both teams are ok (depending on Kane's new deal) if the consensus that we're moving Luongo holds true. We could focus on a good RH defenseman and a pick to replace our 1st in that deal. If the cap goes up, we could even bring back closer to equal salary in the Luongo deal.

Recap: Winnipeg gets a 1st line center with a top 2-way game and a highly skilled winger prospect, while making room for Scheifele next year.

Vancouver gets a 1st line winger with size and skill, and a developing center for the 2nd line who excels at creating chances.

Assuming a deal like Luongo for Schenn (I know some don't like him but he is better than some give him credit for) and 5th overall to fill out a full roster, and having Schroeder, Jensen, Weise, etc pushing for roster spots and the 13th forward, we'd end up with something like this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Burmistrov Kane

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Bitz Malhotra Kassian

Schroeder/Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Schenn

Ballard Tanev

Gragnani Alberts

Schneider

Lack

Why would you do this if your the Jets?

Kane is probably one of the more, "untradeable" players in the league.

Kane is probably the same value as Kes or probably more, and Burmistrov is way better than Rodin or whatever player that the late 1st gets.

And Winnipeg is building for the future, no way they would trade these stars in the making.

Were I in charge of Winnipeg, I might be inclined to see if I could work up a deal for Staal rather than looking at Kesler. This is not to say that Kelser is a bad player, but rather it relates to issues of age (Staal is 4 years younger) and previous injuries (things like a foot infection or a broken hand vs shoulder problems). I figure the two players would be about equal on salary cap (after Staal's new contract), maybe even a bit more for Staal due to Kelser's hometown discount.

Speaking of which, how and why would Kesler agree agree to leave Vancouver to move to Winnipeg? :)

regards,

G.

Kesler is a big part of this deal, no question, and for a team who's top 2 centers points-wise had 47 and 46 points (Wellwood and Little respectively, Antropov and Burmistrov had 35 and 28) it's a move they may need to get better.

They get back one of the top 2-way centers in the league whose point totals where higher than any of their centers despite injuries. His previous two years point totals as a second line center were higher than any player the Jets/Thrashers have had since Kovalchuk in 2008/09.

Since Kesler's NTC doesn't kick in until this coming season, it's not as much his choice to make, but he would be popular after having played for the Moose.

Both teams have a need for what they get even if they do give up an important piece in the deal. Winnipeg would have to give up a considerable amount in any effort to get Staal anyways (or try and overpay in free agency next year), so this might be a good option to get a top center signed through the 2015/16 season.

Were I in charge of Winnipeg, I might be inclined to see if I could work up a deal for Staal rather than looking at Kesler. This is not to say that Kelser is a bad player, but rather it relates to issues of age (Staal is 4 years younger) and previous injuries (things like a foot infection or a broken hand vs shoulder problems). I figure the two players would be about equal on salary cap (after Staal's new contract), maybe even a bit more for Staal due to Kelser's hometown discount.

Speaking of which, how and why would Kesler agree agree to leave Vancouver to move to Winnipeg? :)

regards,

G.

Archived