The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tv Ratings

Just curious on how television ratings have been for this year's playoffs as opposed to last year. I've been pretty with work etc. that I haven't watched much of the playoffs this year....(after the Canucks were eliminated). However, last year I watched every second of every game...

Anyone have an insight into Canadian and American ratings?

I wonder how the ratings will be for the Stanley Cup finals this year?

All I know is that NBC tv ratings are up 44% these playoffs

NHL ratings up:
Overall NHL playoff audience ratings on the NBC Sports Channel are up more than 44 percent over last year.

Reasons listed:

• A major increase in promotion — on and off the air — provided by NBC Sports, which took over the Versus franchise this year.

• Games have featured teams in major TV markets, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington.

• Close, competitive games in nearly all series, starting with the first round.

Footnote. Not a single Canada-based team has been a factor in the playoffs this year.

NHL playoff ratings up in U.S. but down in Canada

May 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM by AHN · Leave a Comment

90080158_1.jpg

AHN Sports Staff

Toronto, Canada (AHN Sports) – The NHL playoffs have had its share of exciting moments but they seem to be resonating more with fans in the United States than in Canada.

With no Canadian teams left in the conference finals, ratings for the 2012 NHL playoffs are down significantly in Canada from what they were last year.

To soften the blow is the fact that ratings in the U.S. are posting record highs.

NBC’s coverage of the NHL playoffs in the United States has hit record levels with the conference semi-finals averaging 1.32 million viewers a game, making them the most watched on the network since they began broadcasting hockey in 1994.

Canadian ratings are not following suit, the biggest problem being the lack of a team from the Great White North, like Montreal or Toronto.

In 2011 the NHL playoffs claimed three spots in the top 30 most watched programs on Canadian television, according to BBM Canada ratings for the week of May 9 – 15, 2011 with the most watched game attracting over three million viewers.

In 2012 1.9 million and 1.3 million viewers watched NHL playoff games and those games ranked eighth and 23rd on the list of the most watched programs.

Article © AHN – All Rights Reserved

Archived