The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realist Changes To Prep The Canucks For A Real Shot In 2013

My first real post on this site, and I have been forewarned by friends that I should expect some childish comments back. This is fine, however this is my view on what MG should and can realistically accomplish prior to next season to improve the Canucks, stay within the cap and get slightly younger at the same time.

I am not going to propose the Suter/Weber/Parise dreams similar to many of the suggestions I have read, they either don’t make sense, can’t fit under our cap, or are just too ‘pie in the sky’ vs. what I think is actually ‘doable’ under the challenges/constraints MG has.

I am curious to hear people’s views and opinions on what I have suggested vs. face palms, ridiculous comments etc, however I understand you cannot prevent this on this site. Proposals:

1. Luongo will be moved we know this. He has asked to be, and reality is we cannot start the season with both Lou and Schneids simply due to the distraction it has become and will create for the team.

1. Luongo, Raymond, and the Canucks first round picks in 2012 and 2013 for Schenn and Toronto’s first round pick in 2012.This makes sense for a few reasons:

1. Whether Burke will admit it publicly or not, his team MUST make the playoffs this year or he will be out of a job, he is desperate, and Toronto does not have a reliable starting goalie. In Lou he is getting a proven veteran, someone both he a Nonis admire, an all star calibre goalie who is still only 33, who can tutor Scrivens and is a leader in the room, something else the young Leafs need. Nonis came out yesterday and said Toronto needs a veteran goalie and this is likely to come from the trade route, they are staking a claim/interest (ie relative to Steve Y’s comments).

2. Schenn is expendible given the emergence of Gardiner and having Franson (and now rumours of Schultz give the Gardiner connection), and he needs a change of scenery. Expectations were too high on him from the start and the pressure in Toronto will destroy him. He is a young stay at home player, who can play with an edge, the Canucks need that. Also you have to give up something to get something. Schenn could easily have topped out (I don't beleive so and Van would be a great place to develop/ face less pressure/hype) and Toronto is getting a proven player/leader.

3. Raymond adds some scoring depth up front for the Leafs if he can find his game, and if not would slot in nicely on the third line adding some speed, penalty killing and potential scoring upside from a depth spot.

4. Swap of picks (Canucks 2012 and 2013 firsts for Toronto's 2012 first). This is the tough part but doable in my mind, however it means the Nucks giving up next years as well. Burke cannot face the media on a simple swap of a top 5 pick for the last pick, especially after the Kessel trade. A swap of a top 5 for two first rounders, in combination with the above, allows him to still get a pick this year and two next, which would allow him to trade up in 2013. Again, reminder that he has to make the playoffs this year, his leash is gone, I live in Toronto I have seen it in the press, you can see it in his anxiety, now or never for him.

5. Top 5 pick for the Nucks, you either draft the big Dman you need or our future top line Center to replace Coho. But you got younger and some talent if you select well.

6. This works from a Cap perspective for the Leafs and Canucks.

1. Ballard to NY Islanders for Matt Martin

1. Sign PA Parenteau (UFA)

1. Sign Jason Garrison

1. Sign Schnieds to a 3 yr 3.5 mil / yr contract

2. Re-sign Burrows to a 4 yr 4 mil/yr contract - deserves it and keeps our real unsung hero as a Canuck likely for life.

3. Re- up Edler to a 3yr 4 mil/yr contract - he'll develop into a top 2, he's still young and was an All Star this year.

4. Find a decent back up for 1-1.5 ml per year until Lack is ready to back up Schnieds

5. Lines below – We have depth throughout , a tough third line to play against that can score, a 4th line that will terrorize other teams, gives time for Kassian to develop without pressure other than using the body and we have the size and skill to compete with any team in the league. We will also have about 8 million left to fill in the depth positions which should be enough.

Sedin 6.1

Sedin 6.1

Burrows 4.0 = 16.2

Booth 4.25

(Kesler) 5

Parenteau 3.2 = 12. 5

Hansen 1.35

Lapierre 1

Higgins 1.9 = 4.3

Matt Martin 1.25

Manny 2.5

Kassian .87 = 4.6

Total Forwards 37.5

Defence

Bieksa 4.6

Hamhuis 4.

Edler 4

Schenn 3.6

Tanev .9

Garrison 2.25

Total D 19.85

Goal

Schnieder 3.5

Backup 1.5

Total Cap Hit 62.4

Expected Cap 70

Cap Available for Depth 7.6

BC Boy, wants to play here, solid Dman fills in our top 6 nicely.

Not huge but has size 6’ 195 lbs, averaged about 60 pts over the last two years, and 40 assists. RW and therefore would slot in nicely with Kesler and Booth or the third if Higgins moves up. I like this move as he's affordable, reliable and can pay 2/3, good along the walls, in front of the net, can skate and can pass.

The Islanders have 3 UFA defenseman this year, none of which are very good, behind Streit and Hamonic they really have nothing. They need a top four guy, of which Ballard is better suited. He would fit will into their lineup, speed to burn, a veteran, and the Islanders have the cap room.

Matt Martin set an NHL record for hits this season. He is EXACTLY what the Canucks need. A fourth liner who is big 6’3’’ 210, fights (averaged 130 pims over the last two years), can skate, and clearly hits. Again, Islanders have to give something to fill a hole but they are getting a top 4 dman (potentially as Ballard is a good player just hasn’t had the chance to prove it here, and certainly better than anything they have on the Island). Granted they can go the UFA route but I am guessing few players are going to want to go there, ie Widemans, Suter etc as there will be more competitive places to play for the best UFA’s = the best route for the Islanders to fill the gaping hole on defense is a trade.

If we are going to trade Luongo or Schneids, it will have to be for more than Schenn, and NYI would not trade Martin for Ballard, the guys a fan favourite and let's face it, Ballard is a hard sell.

I completely agree about trying to get Parenteau and Garrison, both would be great fits. However both players have stated they wish to stay where they are.

If we are going to trade Luongo or Schneids, it will have to be for more than Schenn, and NYI would not trade Martin for Ballard, the guys a fan favourite and let's face it, Ballard is a hard sell.

I completely agree about trying to get Parenteau and Garrison, both would be great fits. However both players have stated they wish to stay where they are.

solid proposal, but optimally I'd try to sign Ray Whitney for his playoff success which could be critical in mentoring Kes and being the slick play maker to work alongside him. If Whitney won't sign I wouldn't mind dropping the Leafs' pick to their 2nd, but have Kulemin's rights thrown in.

i think, if ballard and tanev, can impress at camp, move them into 3/4 slots, re-sign salo and play him and edler on the third pairing and give them power play time....sign rome and gragnanni for depth along with alberts....

move lu for a center, like colborne

or a winger that can play second or third line.....plus futures.

Thats alot of peices to fall into place for this to be "realistic". But its a fairly solid proposal... Id make a few changes....

-I sincerely doubt the Leafs will be trading away the 5th overall pick, unless it involves a return of Rick Nash, or to move up in the draft. Schenn is a very real possibility though, but Id rather just keep our own 1st rounders, and have Toronto add a decent prospect and a 2nd round pick (35th overall).

-I love the addition of Matt Martin to the 4th line, but doubt Lapierre will cut it as the full time 3rd line center.

-Jason Garrison is a possibility, but is a risk signing IMO, unless he'll take a short term deal at a discount to prove himself, and have the opportunity to play for his hometown. He had the benefit of Campbell setting him up all season, and may have boosted what his actual value is. Id offer him a 2 year 5 million deal and see what the counter offer looked like. THis transaction would also depend on the moving of Keith Ballard, who Im not all that sure the Canucks are ready to give up on just yet. Unless.....

-Edler is expendable if theres a way to upgrade the team, and then replace his spot through UFA (Garrison?).... Maybe a deal like Edler + Malhotra + Alberts + Lack to NYI for Nielsen + Martin + Nabakov + 4th overall... Given the fact the NYI arent in any need of having more in-experienced players, theyre likley to dangle that pick, and allow for the Canucks to potentially own 3 players in the top 35, while also potentially adding a solid 3rd line C/PKer whos buds and countrymen with Hansen, and would also be helpfull in Jensen fitting in perfectly. The Islanders get an All-star Dman they can build their D corpse around, in addition to Streit, Hamonic, and deHann, while adding an experienced locker room gem to help bring the youngsters along, and a young goalie with solid potential.

4th overall pick (Forsberg?, Trouba?, Reinhart?, Dumba?, Galchenyuk?) lots of potential options.

26th overall pick, 35th overall pick... could be paired and added with Raymond and sent to Carolina, who have plenty of young dmen with potential, but are lacking in the depth winger spot... likely the best position available at the #8 spot.... (Dumba?, Rielly?, Trouba? Reinhart?)... Possibly an expendable pick for Car...

Done this way, my lineup looks like

sedin - sedin - burrows

booth - kesler - schroeder / jensen / kassian

higgins - neilsen - hansen

martin - lapierre - schroeder / jensen / kassian

hamhuis - bieksa

ballard - tanev

garrison - schenn

schneider

nabokov

With Forsberg and one of Reinhart, Trouba, or Dumba waiting in the wings.

I know... not very realistic on my part either...lol.

-Burke is not giving up a top 5 pick....AGAIN.... it will get him fired.

-Martin will be resigned by NYI.... they have no reason not to sign him, they got the money and hes a RFA

-Garrison can get 4- 5 million a season, on the open market.... your undervaluing the cost of NHL defencemen now in days

-Burke is not giving up a top 5 pick....AGAIN.... it will get him fired.

-Martin will be resigned by NYI.... they have no reason not to sign him, they got the money and hes a RFA

-Garrison can get 4- 5 million a season, on the open market.... your undervaluing the cost of NHL defencemen now in days

Garrison has really only had one good year and so 4-5 million I'd be surprised...4 I can see max. From Capgeek, Martin is a UFA, where did you find hes an RFA?

Burke just might have to give up the top 5 to make the playoffs this year. He can't afford to wait a few years to save his own job, because it will be gone if he doesn't make the playoffs, and if Lou goes elsewhere and plays solid (which he likley will as he still is a very good goaltender, and now he'll have a burr in his saddle) Burke will hear it...How Burke saves face is by getting 2 firsts (albeit lower) in return, which are very parlayable one plus his next year into a top ten pick...(as if TO makes the playoffs with Lou at best they have a mid round pick anyways)....

Don't discount self preservation here, if Toronto makes the playoffs, no one remembers the first round pick they gave up, especially if they can find someone later in the first who can make an impact in a few years...

Archived