The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UFV or BCIT for Plumbing

PowerIce

The UFV course is 34 weeks & BCIT's is only 5ish.

Has anyone experienced either courses & what would you recommend?

I live in Abby, so the Chilliwack trades campus would be closer but distance isn't a factor.

I took my first year electrical at UFV chilliwack, then the last 3 at BCIT. BCIT was far superior in my opinion, plus it looks really good on you for graduating from BCIT. Not sure how the plumbing side is though.

I got the answer. Don't go to any "plumbing program" or school. It is a money sucker. What you need to do is find a company to sign you up for an apprenticeship. The plumbing programs barely teach you anything of what's in the actual business. Getting an apprenticeship is your best bet to learn fast. Because what you actually do is get signed up, work under a plumber for a certain number of hours then attend the apprenticeship program (6 weeks a year 3 years, then the 4th is 8 weeks) which grants you your plumbing and heating certificate. That's what he said anyways. Best of luck.

I got the answer. Don't go to any "plumbing program" or school. It is a money sucker. What you need to do is find a company to sign you up for an apprenticeship. The plumbing programs barely teach you anything of what's in the actual business. Getting an apprenticeship is your best bet to learn fast. Because what you actually do is get signed up, work under a plumber for a certain number of hours then attend the apprenticeship program (6 weeks a year 3 years, then the 4th is 8 weeks) which grants you your plumbing and heating certificate. That's what he said anyways. Best of luck.

That is exactly what I did. I went straight to a company and started working. I found that At UFV we didn't have much lab time at all (maybe once per week). At BCIT we were in the lab 2-3 times a week and I found it beneficial for my understanding. Our courses are each 10 weeks long/4 years.

Pre-app courses are basically for people who don't feel comfortable going onto a job site right off the bat. As long as you are semi competent with tools and have a good work ethic you should be fine going this route. Then again if you are planning on starting in a union, it is mandatory you take the pre-app course (at least for electrical). I joined the IBEW after my first 2 years, switched to BCIT and am very glad I went that route.

If you choose to not go through bcit your not loosing much just saving alot of money its a good schoolboy not recognized outside of bc.If you want a job go hang out at all the suppliers bring donuts talkto the people that work there and ask who's hiring and ask the technicians and plumbers that come in.with or without the course you might be making just better than minimum wage to start

First year apprentices make minimum wage or only slightly better. Plus they spend more time on cleanup duty than learning anything. Its the price you gotta pay.

A friend of mine is first year heavy mechanic and making $14.50 hr and shes earning more than anybody else in her class.

First year apprentices make minimum wage or only slightly better. Plus they spend more time on cleanup duty than learning anything. Its the price you gotta pay.

A friend of mine is first year heavy mechanic and making $14.50 hr and shes earning more than anybody else in her class.

Archived