To Van

Kris Versteeg's rights

Shawn Matthias

Jason Garrison's negotiation rights

To Fla

Roberto Luongo

Mason Raymond's rights

3rd round pick 2012

We get a very versatile winger that can play on any line (like Higgins and Burrows), a solid bottom six centre/winger that can replace Pahlsson and play as our third line centre, and a rright sided defenseman that can replace Salo.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Versteeg

Higgins-Matthias-Hansen

Malhotra-Lapierre-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Thoughts?

In my opinion id place Versteeg on the first line and bring burrows down to the third. If we could bring in a playmaker for Kes this would enable us to package higgins and Ballard to not only dump cap but get us a better defenseman and a legitimate shut-down third line.

Overpayment by us.

If Garrison really wants to sign here, we will get him as a UFA without having to give anything up, and I feel like we could do better than Versteeg for Luongo.

I also can't see Florida trading for Luongo when they have Markstrom as their goalie of the future.

I went to school with a girl at Portland State who was from Lethbridge who know Versteeg and spoke poorly of his Character (plus he's exblackhawk ewww)

If i were to deal with FLA i'd go

To Van:

C Marcel Goc: 1.7 Million for two more years.

Upideside: Has shown the ability to play top 6 minutes but is best suited for shutdown center role, so he can play for Kesler until he gets healthy and than take up 3rd or 4th line center with Lappy. Also I've noticed he has always played well in the playoffs through out his career; In San Jose he had a few game winning a series winning plays against COL in like 05 I think, plus he played well for FLA in the Devils series.

Downside: Has a long injury history. It slowed is development in SJ, and has cost him big chucks of the seasons including NSH playoff run a few years back.

Overall i'd say he's worth the risk a cheap replacement for Kes who can slot well into a defensive role.

D Jason Garrison: UFA

Upside: Good sized Dman with a hard Right hand shot, a possible replacement for Salo. Put up 16 goals last year with FLA, but in previous years has shown that he is more than capable of shutting down lines

Downside: Big year means he'll want big money, but will he be able to repeat in the future?

Overall he's a local boy who wants to come home and will play his hart out for years to come, he won't be a fluke

G Jose Theodore: 1.5 million for one more year

Upside: A former hart winner who has shown he still has a little gas left in the tank. Would be the perfect back up for Cory; being able to step in and play half the season if needed, while also being a solid vet for Cory to have around and learn about the pressures of stardom.

Downside: He has always been a streaky goalie, who in a lot of ways reminds me of Lou (he's ether on his game and it all comes together or he is all over the place and falling apart). Also his character is of question, I recall his arrest for Loan Sharking with his brother back in 03 or 04

Overall he fills the hole left by Lou, and allows Schieder to develop at a better rate

2012 1st round pick

2012 4th round pick

To FLA:

G Sweet Bobby LOOOOOU!: Contract form here to infinity

LW MayRay:RFA

2012 3rd round pick

Not sure why FLA wants Lou back (granted i think that Lou could help them tear through the east, but they have a great young G prospect in Markstrom) but Mayray could use the change in scenery and in FLA were the pressure on him will be minimal he should be able to regain form in the less physical east (look at what it did for Grabner in NYI 34 goals followed by 20 goals) and a 3rd to round it out. Maybe it's overpayment but I think it would work out well for the team

I went to school with a girl at Portland State who was from Lethbridge who know Versteeg and spoke poorly of his Character (plus he's exblackhawk ewww)

If i were to deal with FLA i'd go

To Van:

C Marcel Goc: 1.7 Million for two more years.

Upideside: Has shown the ability to play top 6 minutes but is best suited for shutdown center role, so he can play for Kesler until he gets healthy and than take up 3rd or 4th line center with Lappy. Also I've noticed he has always played well in the playoffs through out his career; In San Jose he had a few game winning a series winning plays against COL in like 05 I think, plus he played well for FLA in the Devils series.

Downside: Has a long injury history. It slowed is development in SJ, and has cost him big chucks of the seasons including NSH playoff run a few years back.

Overall i'd say he's worth the risk a cheap replacement for Kes who can slot well into a defensive role.

D Jason Garrison: UFA

Upside: Good sized Dman with a hard Right hand shot, a possible replacement for Salo. Put up 16 goals last year with FLA, but in previous years has shown that he is more than capable of shutting down lines

Downside: Big year means he'll want big money, but will he be able to repeat in the future?

Overall he's a local boy who wants to come home and will play his hart out for years to come, he won't be a fluke

G Jose Theodore: 1.5 million for one more year

Upside: A former hart winner who has shown he still has a little gas left in the tank. Would be the perfect back up for Cory; being able to step in and play half the season if needed, while also being a solid vet for Cory to have around and learn about the pressures of stardom.

Downside: He has always been a streaky goalie, who in a lot of ways reminds me of Lou (he's ether on his game and it all comes together or he is all over the place and falling apart). Also his character is of question, I recall his arrest for Loan Sharking with his brother back in 03 or 04

Overall he fills the hole left by Lou, and allows Schieder to develop at a better rate

2012 1st round pick

2012 4th round pick

To FLA:

G Sweet Bobby LOOOOOU!: Contract form here to infinity

LW MayRay:RFA

2012 3rd round pick

Not sure why FLA wants Lou back (granted i think that Lou could help them tear through the east, but they have a great young G prospect in Markstrom) but Mayray could use the change in scenery and in FLA were the pressure on him will be minimal he should be able to regain form in the less physical east (look at what it did for Grabner in NYI 34 goals followed by 20 goals) and a 3rd to round it out. Maybe it's overpayment but I think it would work out well for the team

Archived